Pelicans Report

Thread: Incorporate the Memphis Model

Incorporate the Memphis Model

Unless it's already determined that he's a bust, give Kira the keys and let him drive the bus.

Memphis, arguably in a similar position as the Pelicans, cut ties with an above average point guard (the best player on their team, Mike Conley) and charged Ja with running the team from day one. In the long haul (and understand that's what we are looking at in New Orleans), Memphis will be better off for doing it early.

Now I realize that Kira may be no Ja by comparison, but the errors now being repeated over and over again by a four year professional would be better served if they were made by a 20 year old rookie while laying the foundation for tomorrows to come.

I guess what I'm saying is that shoddy play out four year veteran is unacceptable when compared to possible shoddy play of a 20 year old rookie (and that's the worst outcome). Maybe, the rookie might be a better pilot than # 2 is already, but only needs the chance to prove it.

I'd like to get out ahead of this before it starts because there's a ton of talk about Xavier Tillman these days on the TL:

The reason that Memphis continues to land draft twitter darlings outside of the lottery and in the second round is because they continue to draft guys who have severe medical concerns moving forward. I know for a fact that Tillman was not even on the draft boards of a number of teams because of his medicals.

This is just something to be aware of when you're wondering why the Pels aren't taking these guys that are helping Memphis win games now. The Memphis strategy seems to be if you take enough good players with bad medicals, one or two will eventually overcome those issues. We'll see how it plays out when they actually have to pay these guys. It's the reason Brogdon is a Pacer now and not a Buck. How do you pay a guy when your own doctors are telling you that his body will break down before the end of the contract.

I agree let him take his lumps now BUT Kira is very very young, I say let him come off the bench but let him get half the PG minutes, 24 a game and give him 1 year to develop a feel for the game then start him next year.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    I agree let him take his lumps now BUT Kira is very very young, I say let him come off the bench but let him get half the PG minutes, 24 a game and give him 1 year to develop a feel for the game then start him next year.
    24 MPG is way too much for Kira right now. Lamelo Ball is by far the front runner for ROY and is currently averaging 25 MPG. Let him get his feet wet a little bit before throwing him into the fire. 24 MPG near the end of the season, maybe. Right now? 12-15 seems about right

Thread Information