Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: January 8th - New Orleans Pelicans VS Charlotte Hornets - 4-4

This team has little hope until we get an upgrade over Zo and Bledsoe
    SIGN A SF

The Franchise
    Zion did what he could, but I don't like the idea of leaving him in the paint by himself at the 5 with no other help on the boards and interior D. SVG went with that line up for too long.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    Ingram low key really disappointing last few games
    He’s not shouldering this load well. We need help. And we aren’t getting it before the deadline and at great cost.

I’m content to let things be. Accept our licks and BPA the fudge out of someone.

Now the Pels are staring at a 10-game losing streak with next 7 on the road in the West. This is an inferior product so far this year. Bad defense, turning the ball over far too many times - just like last year.

The biggest disappointment this year is that the team isn’t even fun to watch.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Ingram has taken 11 shots tonight with 10 of them from 3 Point Range. What's that all about?
    This new NBA.. analytics.. coaching.. I get the advantage in taking more 3's than 2's.. But I don't get taking stupid 3's..

don't forget to blame Griffin as well, he basically assembled this team

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    This new NBA.. analytics.. coaching.. I get the advantage in taking more 3's than 2's.. But I don't get taking stupid 3's..
    Analytics isn't just saying launch more threes.

He took basically nothing at the rim, the shot that ''analytics'' say is the number one best shot in basketball.

Ingram's shot profile tonight is called ''complacency''.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec3333 View Post
    Now the Pels are staring at a 10-game losing streak with next 7 on the road in the West. This is an inferior product so far this year. Bad defense, turning the ball over far too many times - just like last year.

The biggest disappointment this year is that the team isn’t even fun to watch.
    Watching them is depressing. I know their young but I’m not seeing any enthusiasm

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    He’s not shouldering this load well. We need help. And we aren’t getting it before the deadline and at great cost.

I’m content to let things be. Accept our licks and BPA the fudge out of someone.
    Crumbling under the pressure. Not great to see. Especially doesn't help that the only other guy on the team that you can generally rely on to produce 20 points (Zion) spends the most of the final 5 minutes benched every game.

Jesus we suck.

This team couldn?t get any more pathetic if we tried. Stay the course and a top 5 lottery pick is secured.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by All Metro View Post
    Watching them is depressing. I know their young but I’m not seeing any enthusiasm
    We are always young. This team hasn’t shown growth since 2008-2009.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    If we are gonna lose with all of these garbage "veterans" then just play Kira, Zion, Ingram, Jax, and call up Didi.

At least then we would have a good excuse.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Analytics isn't just saying launch more threes.

He took basically nothing at the rim, the shot that ''analytics'' say is the number one best shot in basketball.

Ingram's shot profile tonight is called ''complacency''.
    I'm aware of this.. nor is it what I was communicating. There is this belief, because of analytics that it's okay to just jack up 3's for the sake of jacking up 3's.

And you're being too kind with that word "complacency".. lol

Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    don't forget to blame Griffin as well, he basically assembled this team
    We all saw the problem with this team, but we all realized that Rome won't be built in a day.

Crumbling under the pressure. Not great to see. Especially doesn't help that the only other guy on the team that you can generally rely on to produce 20 points (Zion) spends the most of the final 5 minutes benched every game.
    I wouldn't call an 8 assist night "crumbling under pressure." Charlotte put the onus on this sad backcourt to produce and they produced 13 points, 9 assist, and 4 turnovers on 5 - 16 shooting...combined. Ingram did better than those two getting double and triple teamed all night.

And never mind the fact that Charlotte must have scored on 80% of their possessions in the 2nd half.

And to say he took nothing at the rim is disingenuous. He went 8 - 9 from the FT line. The most FT attempts on the team.
    Last edited by luckyman; 01-08-2021 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    We all saw the problem with this team, but we all realized that Rome won't be built in a day.
    Yep, the team isn't perfect but the team construction doesn't have to be perfect yet, we're still in the process of building.

What the team *should* be doing is playing up to its abilities. We saw through the first few games that we can be better than this, so there's no excuse when we just go to garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I wouldn't call an 8 assist night "crumbling under pressure." Charlotte put the onus on this sad backcourt to produce and they produced 13 points, 9 assist, and 4 turnovers on 5 - 16 shooting...combined. Ingram did better than those two getting double and triple teamed all night.

And never mind the fact that Charlotte must have scored on 80% of their possessions in the 2nd half.
    I would call 3/10 from the field with basically nothing in the paint and shooting this poorly in 4th quarters so far this season including 0.00% from 3 an example of someone who is struggling to produce.

Whether you want to call that pressure, or just an extremely specific and prolonged cold streak, that's up to you. The reality is that the production is not there.

The Franchise
    Crumbling under pressure isn't what's happening. Poor coaching is what's happening.

He was gassed in the 4th in the game before last where he played poorly. Primarily because SVG went to him exclusively to do everything.. In addition, with better balance in the 4th we'd see better performances overall from Ingram and Zion. Even though I'm satisfied with what I've seen from him (Zion).. We could actually extract even more from him if he was managed properly.

I'd rather have less talented guards with high IQ than these jackwagons handling the ball. I saw several times they missed Zion on the baseline for a dunk. Instead they threw it to the 3pt line then turned the ball over.

The Franchise
    It is utterly ridiculous to say Ingram is crumbling under pressure.. You gotta stop being so bias man.. Your commentary on Ingram is still all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    Crumbling under pressure isn't what's happening. Poor coaching is what's happening.

He was gassed in the 4th in the game before last where he played poorly. Primarily because SVG went to him exclusively to do everything.. In addition, with better balance in the 4th we'd see better performances overall from Ingram and Zion. Even though I'm satisfied with what I've seen from him (Zion).. We could actually extract even more from him if he was managed properly.
    Like I said, don't really care what you call it. He's not producing right now. We know he can, but it's not happening at the moment, and it's not good. You want to say that poor coaching is the reason, there's some truth to that. I would be highly reluctant to pretend that it's the only factor and just waive everything else as a component.

Yep, the team isn't perfect but the team construction doesn't have to be perfect yet, we're still in the process of building.

What the team *should* be doing is playing up to its abilities. We saw through the first few games that we can be better than this, so there's no excuse when we just go to garbage.
    To add to that, we had to do a lot of course correcting from last year as well. So, we at this moment have a very thin roster, but have a foundation and direction. Next off season will be the first true progression building in like 3 years

I will say... Adding Lonzo to the AD trade has been an albatross and I hope we rid of him next year. It's not only best for Zion, but the NBA is a guard league. We've been having guard issues for damn near 10 years.

Points off turnovers says it all 14 to 27. All on guards. We need go get some off the street.

Quote Originally Posted by sterlr View Post
    I'd rather have less talented guards with high IQ than these jackwagons handling the ball. I saw several times they missed Zion on the baseline for a dunk. Instead they threw it to the 3pt line then turned the ball over.
    One of the things that I value more and more every year in basketball is high level decision making.

This team just doesn't have high level decision makers. To some degree a part of that is just the troubles of youth, but with some of our players it's just a fundamental flaw with how they approach basketball.

Ingram has improved a lot, and while he's still growing and still making mistakes sometimes, he's on a clear trajectory to being a very good decision maker.
    Zion still has stuff to clean up, especially defensively, but he's a solid decision maker already.
    Steven Adams is a very good decision maker.

Right now, that's it, that's the roster.

I would call 3/10 from the field with basically nothing in the paint and shooting this poorly in 4th quarters so far this season including 0.00% from 3 an example of someone who is struggling to produce.

Whether you want to call that pressure, or just an extremely specific and prolonged cold streak, that's up to you. The reality is that the production is not there.
    Again, still managed to get to the line for 8 FTs. If a team is dedicated to take you out then others need to produce.

If one of Bledsoe or Lonzo just had a Devonte Graham type night they win this game. And he shot 38% from the field and 25% from 3. Still managed to do enough to score 17 points, 8 assists, and 1 turnover.

Ignoring the bad starting guard play and the poor defense to concentrate on Ingram's 17, 8 and 8 for not being savior enough?

Thread Information