Pelicans Report

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: January 6th - New Orleans Pelicans VS Oklahoma City Thunder - 4-3

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I wonder if NAW wasn't by habit trying to make sure he was getting the three and just let the catch and shoot go he would've hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by sterlr View Post
    That's on coaching. Why do we try to make him something's he's not? Trade the guy for a competent jump shooter.
    He's played similarly in terms of shot selection under like 3 different coaches across 2 different teams at this point. He's never seen a three point shot he doesn't like, regardless of anything. It's worrying.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    I would like to know what Van Gundy had planned for that final possession...
    Should be Zion inside out with BI and Adams...no need for any other player to be involved. They didn't even look to involve Zion just to even use him as a decoy...LOW IQ team.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    I wonder if NAW wasn't by habit trying to make sure he was getting the three and just let the catch and shoot go he would've hit it.
    I think these guys shoot so many threes in practice, the three point line is kind of like a security blanket for them. It’s the shot they are probably most used to.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    The Lonzo parade this season is actually quite funny because 50% of the time he's quite solid and then the other 50% of the time he's abominably bad. There seems to be very little in between.

Then, after each good game you get the Lonzo defenders crawling out of the woodwork to demand all of his doubters eat crow, and after every bad game you get to see the resounding silence as they crawl right back into the woodwork
    Only to be replaced by the "I told you so" crowd popping up overnight like flora after desert rain.

That's on coaching. Why do we try to make him something's he's not? Trade the guy for a competent jump shooter.
    He's a guy that does some things well some of the time

His jump shot technique will never really cut it. Had to totally rebuild his shot, it still looks awkward and he still leaves shots short a lot of the time

Can't finish at the rim unless it's gaping open

Melo will be 5 times the player Lonzo is

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I thought SVG said he'd like Lonzo in an off ball role.

Why the hell is he still letting Lonzo control the ball so much?
    Pay attention to what coaches do not what they say. All other stuff is smoke/fluff.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    He was open. I don't begrudge him shooting it there instead of moving in closer. Ho-hum. On to the next one.
    yep...no doubt he was open...oh, well...
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    I think these guys shoot so many threes in practice, the three point line is kind of like a security blanket for them. It’s the shot they are probably most used to.
    We aren't actually taking that many threes this season, believe it or not. Coming into tonight, we were 22nd in the league in 3 point attempts per game, and tonight we shot 22 threes, which is actually really not a lot at all in today's game. OKC shot 46, for comparison.

Edit: if anything, we sometimes don't take enough threes imo.

He's played similarly in terms of shot selection under like 3 different coaches across 2 different teams at this point. He's never seen a three point shot he doesn't like, regardless of anything. It's worrying.

I thought he was doing a better job in increasing his drives to the basket and decreasing his dribble dribble step back three. At least until this game. I think Lonzo’s dad did a number on this kid. He seems unable to progress his game despite an obvious ability to do so.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Should be Zion inside out with BI and Adams...no need for any other player to be involved. They didn't even look to involve Zion just to even use him as a decoy...LOW IQ team.
    Tonight the best plays were when Horford was sagging so far off of Adams for fear of Zion, we got nothing but looks for Ingram. Once they adjusted, I would've liked to see Zion positioned at the top of the key or more passes closer to the 3pt line and force the double team to move a greater distance. Let him see it and be able to make a reaction rather than trying to have Zion post up.

These guys have never seen old school basketball therefore you can't do what you don't know.

Wish we had Lamelo instead

I thought he was doing a better job in increasing his drives to the basket and decreasing his dribble dribble step back three. At least until this game. I think Lonzo’s dad did a number on this kid. He seems unable to progress his game despite an obvious ability to do so.
    His inability to play a good complete 36 minute?

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    It was definitely a habit thing

We aren't actually taking that many threes this season, believe it or not. Coming into tonight, we were 22nd in the league in 3 point attempts per game, and tonight we shot 22 threes, which is actually really not a lot at all in today's game. OKC shot 46, for comparison.

Our offensive game plan sure isn’t the three ball, which taking into account how we’ve been shooting them is probably a good thing. But I’m pretty sure that even our guards probably take more threes in practice than twos. And for young guys like NAW, the fact that there is a line on the court where he is used to his feet being behind when he shoots, is probably comforting for him in a stress situation like that.

Untill we stop packing the paint so hard and learn to run players off the line... Teams have figured out the defense and attacking the paint has to be a high percentage look and all they really have to do is a ton of motion for an open three or just walk up to line with the defender giving up a big open look.

I’m ready to see Kira!! If Payton Pritchard is getting minutes and playing pretty darn good for a rookie, Kira should be out there

I'm pretty certain if its Bledsoe/NAW closing out the game instead of Lonzo/NAW, they pull this one out.

Even when Bled has played bad he's been clutch. He definitely wouldn't have charged the lane like a headless chicken two plays in a row at the worst time.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Untill we stop packing the paint so hard and learn to run players off the line... Teams have figured out the defense and attacking the paint has to be a high percentage look and all they really have to do is a ton of motion for an open three or just walk up to line with the defender giving up a big open look.
    One thing that Gentry did (and he did it too much, which is another issue) is that he knew that one way to compensate for poor shooting is volume.

Obviously that has it's own variety of annoying problems, that we all spend years being irritated by, but it's true.

This team needs to find a middle ground. We aren't a good enough shooting team to be this conservative with shots, as weird as that may sound. If your team has no snipers on it (and with JJ being like this, we pretty much don't right now) then the only way you can force them to respect you from behind the arc is by making it clear that you can and will take those shots, and putting the onus on them to pick their poison. Right now, we aren't doing that: shots are coming up on the perimeter and we're almost pathologically afraid of them.

Gentry's demand for a minimum of 40 threes a game is wrong. Our current rate of only about 20 is too few.

I'm pretty certain if its Bledsoe/NAW closing out the game instead of Lonzo/NAW, they pull this one out.

Even when Bled has played bad he's been clutch. He definitely wouldn't have charged the lane like a headless chicken two plays in a row at the worst time.
    Yeah I agree here. Underrated weird thing about tonight: why did Bledsoe play well under 30 minutes when every other starter got comfortably more? What's the justification tonight for 36 minutes of Lonzo Ball and only 25 of Bledsoe?

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Stan is rightfully pissed... so much fault to go around right now...

Our offensive game plan sure isn’t the three ball, which taking into account how we’ve been shooting them is probably a good thing. But I’m pretty sure that even our guards probably take more threes in practice than twos. And for young guys like NAW, the fact that there is a line on the court where he is used to his feet being behind when he shoots, is probably comforting for him in a stress situation like that.
    I see why NAW gets glued to the bench. There isn't a shoot he would turn down.

Bledsoe was having a pretty decent game. SVG tends to ride runs and keep a hot group in the game. I guess that run to get us back in swayed SVG to keep Bled out...

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    I see why NAW gets glued to the bench. There isn't a shoot he would turn down.
    Players think too much of themselves. I've seen players close up and some of them overestimate their abilities.

Thread Information