Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Van Gundy Concerns {edited}

Van Gundy old school ways are a problem, but the biggest problem is the man that hired him and potentially the owner of the club. The point of this season and last season should have been player development above everything else. Griffin whether through direction from ownership or his own misunderstanding has put this team on the path to making the same mistakes the franchise has made the last 15 years.

It legitimately takes about 4 to 6 years of drafting talent and player development to be able to compete. We keep trying to do it 1 or 2 years and fall short. Yes I know 4 to 6 years isn't appealing but then we end up losing anyways just not enough to consistently draft in the top 5. Redick, Adams, and Bledsoe are taking mins away from players that need development. That is ultimately a problem from the top down.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Van Gundy old school ways are a problem, but the biggest problem is the man that hired him and potentially the owner of the club. The point of this season and last season should have been player development above everything else. Griffin whether through direction from ownership or his own misunderstanding has put this team on the path to making the same mistakes the franchise has made the last 15 years.

It legitimately takes about 4 to 6 years of drafting talent and player development to be able to compete. We keep trying to do it 1 or 2 years and fall short. Yes I know 4 to 6 years isn't appealing but then we end up losing anyways just not enough to consistently draft in the top 5. Redick, Adams, and Bledsoe are taking mins away from players that need development. That is ultimately a problem from the top down.
    Who are the teams that have done this and broke through? I can name a dozen teams that stunk and were in the lottery for a decade and got nowhere. The best successes would probably be OKC and Philly. But honestly, after they got their transcendent guys, it wouldnt have mattered what they did - its about getting the transcendent guys in the lotto. And in theory, we have that with Zion and Ingram. I have a lot of issues with Griff, but you cant just expect that more young guys are the solution. Now.... not giving up assets for vets or, better yet, getting assets to take on vets - that is the right course. Then, let the wins and losses fall where they may. Also, dont spend resources on centers.

Actually, dont get me started on Griffin, I want to have a good day
    @mcnamara247

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    I just want them to live stream one of his practices so we can see what is actually happening. No way is this team practicing defense so hard and then showing up to game day and not knowing how to play either end of the court. The way they are playing is intramural level. They are isoing and constantly out of place on both ends. Half the time, 3 people on the offensive end dont move during an entire possession. I thought we have been through enough but they hire this coach who thinks he?s still in 1985. I know I know, they are young and having growing pains..... besides the fact that they are not. They have 3 legit vets on this team in the rotation and 2 young guys that are a walking bucket. This team is just flat out not motivated.

This organization keeps us on the line like fish with the term “development”. We haven’t developed anyone to the point where the team was worth two squirts, and eye balling this roster, that doesn’t look to change. I saw a tweet yesterday that said David Griffin hasn’t been anything without Klutch Sports, and to be honest, that is pretty damn accurate.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Who are the teams that have done this and broke through? I can name a dozen teams that stunk and were in the lottery for a decade and got nowhere. The best successes would probably be OKC and Philly. But honestly, after they got their transcendent guys, it wouldnt have mattered what they did - its about getting the transcendent guys in the lotto. And in theory, we have that with Zion and Ingram. I have a lot of issues with Griff, but you cant just expect that more young guys are the solution. Now.... not giving up assets for vets or, better yet, getting assets to take on vets - that is the right course. Then, let the wins and losses fall where they may. Also, dont spend resources on centers.

Actually, dont get me started on Griffin, I want to have a good day
    You left off the biggest success story Golden State. Is it going to be 100% of course not. I would say some front offices has been totally incompetent. Some teams just get unlucky in the lotto. But most teams tend to abandon the process too early.

You left off the biggest success story Golden State. Is it going to be 100% of course not. I would say some front offices has been totally incompetent. Some teams just get unlucky in the lotto. But most teams tend to abandon the process too early.
    The Warriors did not continue to purposely lose to get picks. In fact, they built very similar to what you are advocating against. Traded for Bogut to get a competent vet. Sign Lee to a big contract. Steph was mid lottery and was on the block several times. Klay was late lotto and was offered with Steph to us for CP3. Draymond a home run pick in 2nd round. They did not just go all young guys and stink.... and if Griff would have hit with the 8th pick or 17 or 13 this year or a large number of 2nds, it would have been very similar to GS. He just didnt hit on those picks the way GS hit on Klay or Draymond. But Golden State did not bottom out and go all young, they did the hybrid model too

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    The Warriors did not continue to purposely lose to get picks. In fact, they built very similar to what you are advocating against. Traded for Bogut to get a competent vet. Sign Lee to a big contract. Steph was mid lottery and was on the block several times. Klay was late lotto and was offered with Steph to us for CP3. Draymond a home run pick in 2nd round. They did not just go all young guys and stink.... and if Griff would have hit with the 8th pick or 17 or 13 this year or a large number of 2nds, it would have been very similar to GS. He just didnt hit on those picks the way GS hit on Klay or Draymond. But Golden State did not bottom out and go all young, they did the hybrid model too
    I'm not asking to bottom out. I'm asking to draft and make developing the drafted players the priority. If we lose let it be losing with the young players we drafted. If we win let it be with the young guys we drafted. No roster is going to be made up of all rookie contracts that's not what I'm talking about. Walker-Alexander, Haynes, and Lewis are averaging 20, 13, and 9 mins respectively. That 3 of the last 4 draft picks the only expectation being Zion and the way we are handling his development is flawed IMO.

I'm not asking to bottom out. I'm asking to draft and make developing the drafted players the priority. If we lose let it be losing with the young players we drafted. If we win let it be with the young guys we drafted. No roster is going to be made up of all rookie contracts that's not what I'm talking about. Walker-Alexander, Haynes, and Lewis are averaging 20, 13, and 9 mins respectively. That 3 of the last 4 draft picks the only expectation being Zion and the way we are handling his development is flawed IMO.
    And thats fine, but its not what Golden State did. Draymond famously didnt get a ton of time while David Lee was healthy and Kerr even went into that first title season thinking he was a bench guy. They prioritized Steph and Klay but also wanted to surround them with guys who could help the culture and on court performance right away. Jarrett Jack was another vey that got a ton of minutes for example.

There arent many teams in NBA history that you will find with a bunch of guys 23 or younger who all got a lot of minutes. And if they did, they stunk and usually continued to stink. Again, I have no issues with getting vets and playing them and helping them show the young guys stuff on and off the court. Forcing fringe young guys to earn their minutes rather than just being handed minutes -- but dont give up assets for those vets. Get assets and take on vets on big contracts to fill that role for the first few years of Zion

Thread Information