Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Van Gundy Concerns {edited}

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I'm on the NAW train heavy since day 1. He deserves more minutes and Redick many many less. You see Jax consistently improving every game. NAW deserves the same.

And that damn Redick is trying his best to tank his trade value.
    I mean.... how bad does JJ need to play and how good does NAW need to play for him to get more playing time?

Two games in a row NAW hits a three right off the bench... the thing JJ is supposed to be doing. Imagine if NAW wasn’t sitting for 40 minutes before getting some paying time.

I love JJ..... but you can’t hurt the team by riding him this much when he’s not producing.

You guys aren't paying attention if you think this is the first time. Made the same horrible mistake in the SA game with regard to not calling timeout. Same horrible decision with Zion in Toronto game

But we won so its all roses on the message board after those games. Which is why I keep saying to never look at the results. Those are random. Turner could have easily missed the 3, we get the rebound and win. But even with the result change, the mistake still remains. And the mistakes were there in the games before but wins blind people.

Process should always be the meat of conversations and debates. Results are random
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by HartOfaPelican View Post
    It was a broken play.... and up until that pint Zo was playing great!

A TO should of been called when JJ got trapped in the corner. It’s on Gundy.
    Watching it back, I'm being a bit harsh on Lonzo. Ingram should have come to the ball, but ultimately the coaching staff should have seen Lonzo about to get trapped and called the TO

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    You guys aren't paying attention if you think this is the first time. Made the same horrible mistake in the SA game with regard to not calling timeout. Same horrible decision with Zion in Toronto game
    Maybe SVG has his own coaching version of ring rust.

But these are exactly the type of avoidable mistakes we used to hang Gentry for

Also, Zion could have had a sick from behind block if he wanted it a bit more
    Last edited by AusPel; 01-05-2021 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

But we won so its all roses on the message board after those games. Which is why I keep saying to never look at the results. Those are random. Turner could have easily missed the 3, we get the rebound and win. But even with the result change, the mistake still remains. And the mistakes were there in the games before but wins blind people.

Process should always be the meat of conversations and debates. Results are random
    So how does a veteran coach continually make the same mistake? Almost every coach would call TO to advance and put in the ballhandlers/FT shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Loss 100% on SVG. Terrible coaching at the end of the game. Cannot understand why he did not use challenge on a black and white play. Then, with 19 second left, does not call TO and advance. Terrible coaching.

Also, stuck with JJ way too long. JJ is killing the team right now. Hopefully he breaks out his slump soon.
    I agree. I don’t understand why after the first turnover when trying to advance the ball, he didn’t call a time out to settle them down and advance the ball.

For the challenge, eh. Those are extremely hard to win, and in that case, I could see the refs pointing to any contact that occurred before the player fell. And you really don’t want to blow a time out there. Of course that begs the question, why you didn’t use the time out that you possibly saved by not making the challenge.

This goes on the entire coaching staff for sure.

We?re is the assistant coach watching the replay on the iPad and screaming at Gundy to challenge? I can?t imagine they don?t have a designated person for this kind of stuff on the bench.
    I think you just created a job for an NBA team. Go apply somewhere as the Time Out coach.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

This fanbase is pathetic sometimes

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeapeaNOLA View Post
    I don’t get what some’s expectation is. What does a loss look like? Is there any way we don’t win the close games we’re sure to be in? A mistake here. A timeout we didn’t call. A rotation a player misses. A lineup that was left in too long. We just need to see an upward sloping graph. Like imagine the stock market. It’s up and down, but it need to be up more and more over time.

That doesn’t happen then we got problems and require a change in certain ways.

I’m not happy to see any given loss. But...a grip. Let’s get one.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    That?s fine. However, JJ is a defensive liability and has not provided any offense as of late. Makes no sense to play him.
    He can't dribble, can't rebound, cant pass well, can't play defense, can't get into the lane and score, and as of now can't even make a shot.

He can take a charge well and draw fouls by flopping though, so he does a couple of things well I guess?

Kira and NAW taking his minutes in the Pacers game would have been ideal, but.................growing pains......................

There were a few lessons that can be gleaned from this loss. SVG is a smart guy, he'll adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I don’t get what some’s expectation is. What does a loss look like? Is there any way we don’t win the close games we’re sure to be in? A mistake here. A timeout we didn’t call. A rotation a player misses. A lineup that was left in too long. We just need to see an upward sloping graph. Like imagine the stock market. It’s up and down, but it need to be up more and more over time.

That doesn’t happen then we got problems and require a change in certain ways.

I’m not happy to see any given loss. But...a grip. Let’s get one.
    My issue is that people dont point out mistakes in a win. These same exact mistakes were made before but the win masks it all. Then, when it happens in a loss, its the end of the world. In most close wins and close losses, teams play about the same. The difference is luck. A call here or there. A shot that goes a half foot to the right instead of in, etc. Yet the convos, threads, etc couldnt be more opposite after a two point win vs after a three point loss. That is what is maddening to me as a process person

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I don?t get what some?s expectation is. What does a loss look like? Is there any way we don?t win the close games we?re sure to be in? A mistake here. A timeout we didn?t call. A rotation a player misses. A lineup that was left in too long. We just need to see an upward sloping graph. Like imagine the stock market. It?s up and down, but it need to be up more and more over time.

That doesn?t happen then we got problems and require a change in certain ways.

I?m not happy to see any given loss. But...a grip. Let?s get one.
    But this wasn't a usual type of loss. It was a colossal end of game failure you dont see often.

Saying fans shouldn't have a problem with this loss is extremely impractical. To say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by SeapeaNOLA View Post
    I agree. The OP should fire himself for starting this thread. Stan is the man!

Trust the process

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    I agree. The OP should fire himself for starting this thread. Stan is the man!

Trust the process
    he was being sarcastic

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    But this wasn't a usual type of loss. It was a colossal end of game failure you dont see often.

Saying fans shouldn't have a problem with this loss is extremely impractical. To say the least.
    I agree, this was not just a loss, it was a loss of a game that minor logical coaching moves could have prevented.

And of course mistakes are not discussed as much when the team pulls out a win despite the mistakes.

Imagine if Ingram was fouled out

What's the team going to do then?

We only have one closer and 9 other guys standing around the perimeter

Basketball Guru
    up 6 with 23 seconds left to play....

let that sink in...

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post

let that sink in...
    Move on from it and we will be a better team. Winnable game Wednesday and Friday. I promise you a SVG appreciation thread too!
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 01-05-2021 at 03:25 PM.

let that sink in...
    And what happens next matters

Dipo lived up to his name and hit a cold blooded deepo three. You can't stop that ********

Then the calamity of errors happened, most of which was avoidable

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    And what happens next matters

Dipo lived up to his name and hit a cold blooded deepo three. You can't stop that ********

Then the calamity of errors happened, most of which was avoidable
    The refs were pretty awful too. Courtney Kirkland (Lebron’s friend)reffed the game go figure. Quit blaming Stan.

The refs were pretty awful too. Courtney Kirkland (Lebron’s friend)reffed the game go figure. Quit blaming Stan.
    You're really playing the ref card. The final result of 1 game in January 2021 won't make a lick of difference to how this Pelicans team turns out long term

What matters is the decision making process in the absolute clutch, both on and off court
    Last edited by AusPel; 01-05-2021 at 03:46 PM.

Basketball Guru
    You're really playing the ref card. The final result of 1 game in January 2021 won't make a lick of difference to how this Pelicans team turns out long term

What matters is the decision making process in the absolute clutch, both on and off court

which is why i cant get over jj giving the ball up.....the ball was in his hands as it should be to put us up by 4 or 5 to win the game and he gave it up to lonzo...jj is a vet and could have called a timeout....

which is why i cant get over jj giving the ball up.....the ball was in his hands as it should be to put us up by 4 or 5 to win the game and he gave it up to lonzo...jj is a vet and could have called a timeout....
    As I said, there were a calamity of errors

As I said, there were a calamity of errors
    Get over it and move on. 2 winnable games this starting Wednesday. Trust the process.

Get over it and move on. 2 winnable games this starting Wednesday. Trust the process.
    You're the one making excuses, blaming the refs for the loss. Wins come and wins go

But you're right about analysing the team's processes

Thread Information