Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Van Gundy Concerns {edited}

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    hornets went to zone defense and we just started shooting 3s.....teams know to pack the paint and lets us shoot 3s when the game is close or if they have the lead trying to closed the game out...
    yeah double zio. go to zone..until we get some more shooters expect the same to happen all year
    SIGN A SF

Quote Originally Posted by All Metro View Post
    yeah double zio. go to zone..until we get some more shooters expect the same to happen all year
    But when they go to zone three balls are not the only option.

Screen up top and take a mid range shot. Zo and Ingram are both better at mid range than three.

Can’t just throw up threes.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by HartOfaPelican View Post
    But when they go to zone three balls are not the only option.

Screen up top and take a mid range shot. Zo and Ingram are both better at mid range than three.

Can’t just throw up threes.

its the gentry thats still in them lol....need some time to work it out of them...

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I really hate this thread’s title.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I really hate this thread’s title.
    Yep, me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Yep, me too.
    Make it three

Make it four. Can we throw it to the dump?

So can we change the title of this tread back to its original title?

Stopped watching the game since we have ZERO chance winning this games playing horrendous D and not able to make threes.

Trade everyone not named Adam?s, Zion, BI, and NAW. This is sad to watch.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HartOfaPelican View Post
    So can we change the title of this tread back to its original title?

Stopped watching the game since we have ZERO chance winning this games playing horrendous D and not able to make threes.

Trade everyone not named Adam?s, Zion, BI, and NAW. This is sad to watch.
    No. We'd be idiots to fire someone after the first however many games it's been. No team has ever done that without extenuating circumstances. You need to get over it. This isn't going to change overnight.

No. We'd be idiots to fire someone after the first however many games it's been. No team has ever done that without extenuating circumstances. You need to get over it. This isn't going to change overnight.
    No the case for Brooklyn Nets. Sean Marks ( Yes that guy) struck gold.

You guys take things too seriously. It was a sarcastic title in the first place. Then people got all bent out of shape and it was changed.

I’m just pointing out that Gundy won’t work out. We needed to hire a young coach. Nope.... we went the revolving NBA coach route. Already proving to be a mistake.

I think we have a really solid team, I think we need to be coached right. If anything I think we need a veteran.

Quote Originally Posted by stevemadden504 View Post
    I think we have a really solid team, I think we need to be coached right. If anything I think we need a veteran.
    With a front court of Zion, BI, and Adams, what we need are two guards that can shoot the lights out from three. Outside of possibly JJ (assuming that his slump is temporary and not a reflection of father time) we don't have that. Bledsoe is ok, but you can tell he's not comfortable raining threes from the line, that's not his game. Josh isn't it. Ball is certainly not it. NAW may be in the future but not right now. Ditto with Kira.

What I'd like Stan to at least try is to move JJ in the starting lineup, defense be damned (it ain't that great with Bledsoe and Ball starting anyway), and see if that can get him jump started. Putting our two best three point shooters out with our starters may at least give a little life to our team. Lonzo in the starting lineup is killing us.
    Last edited by Freyfamilyreuni; 01-20-2021 at 09:45 AM.

If nothing else, this team has improved defensively even with the departure of Holiday. Now whether it's because of Adams, the maturation process, or the emphasis that SVG places on it is open to conjecture, but the improvement cannot be denied. Further, I believe it will only get better as Zion, JAX, NAW, and Kira learn how to play in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    If nothing else, this team has improved defensively even with the departure of Holiday. Now whether it's because of Adams, the maturation process, or the emphasis that SVG places on it is open to conjecture, but the improvement cannot be denied. Further, I believe it will only get better as Zion, JAX, NAW, and Kira learn how to play in the NBA.
    I think any defensive improvement can be denied. Last year we were apparently 19th in points per game allowed. This year we are currently ranked 19th in points allowed with an overall defensive ranking of 22nd. Teams are shooting a very high percentage from both the 3 point line and at the rim.

Sorry, misread the stat, apparently we are 11th in ppg allowed so we have improved in that category. Probably more as a result of our decrease in pace. We are dead last in three points allowed.

Our overall defensive rating last year was 16th in the league and currently we are ranked 20th (although that may be somewhat a result of our schedule).
    Last edited by Freyfamilyreuni; 01-20-2021 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    I think any defensive improvement can be denied. Last year we were apparently 19th in points per game allowed. This year we are currently ranked 19th in points allowed with an overall defensive ranking of 22nd. Teams are shooting a very high percentage from both the 3 point line and at the rim.

Sorry, misread the stat, apparently we are 11th in ppg allowed so we have improved in that category. Probably more as a result of our decrease in pace. We are dead last in three points allowed.

Our overall defensive rating last year was 16th in the league and currently we are ranked 20th (although that may be somewhat a result of our schedule).
    The bottom line is Scoring Defense...

2019-20

117.1 Per Game

2020-21

109.5 Per Game

....and we now lead the league in least amount of fouls committed.

I think it's mostly a talent problem and over demanding defense philosophy that needs speed and crazy length. We definitely to switch it up and keep the guards on the line. They have to quit helping so much. Giving up a 2 is flat out better and plays into our offense better.

Basketball Guru
    so we need gentry offense and stan defense to be a top seed team...

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    so we need gentry offense and stan defense to be a top seed team...
    Lol well.... if that were the case we would have 5,000 turnovers a game which would ultimately make us the worse defensive team again.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    I think it's mostly a talent problem and over demanding defense philosophy that needs speed and crazy length. We definitely to switch it up and keep the guards on the line. They have to quit helping so much. Giving up a 2 is flat out better and plays into our offense better.
    Partially agree. We should of hired a young coach. I’ll always stick by that.

However, if we can’t get some players that can actually hit a 3.... it won’t matter who the coach is.

Scotty Robertson 1974-75. First coach of the NEW ORLEANS JAZZ. Fired after starting 1-14. The only extenuating circumstance was, he lost too many games.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    Scotty Robertson 1974-75. First coach of the NEW ORLEANS JAZZ. Fired after starting 1-14. The only extenuating circumstance was, he lost too many games.
    Note: if someone says ''we shouldn't do X, it's an overreaction, nobody ever does that'' and the one example you can think of to rebut them comes from over 40 years ago, they're probably right.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Note: if someone says ''we shouldn't do X, it's an overreaction, nobody ever does that'' and the one example you can think of to rebut them comes from over 40 years ago, they're probably right.
    Is it an over reaction if the stated eventually becomes true?

Such as suggesting that Gundy was a bad hire in the first place? Which is being discussed in this thread.

If Gundy doesn’t make multiple mistakes that lead to two heartbreaking losses that are so far, defining this season... do we have the record that we have now?

I think not... therefore, the discussion about weather or not Gundy was a good hire is valid.

Thread Information