Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Van Gundy Concerns {edited}

Van Gundy Concerns {edited}

Ok - but in all seriousness. This was a completely unacceptable loss!

Gundy allowed BI to play hero ball the last 3 minutes of regulation. Stopping ball movement and we stopped scoring. Why move away from the offense in the 4th that got you the big lead.

Victor clearly tripped going past Adam?s in the last three minutes. Why not challenge? You don?t get two next game. You going to take a nap and cuddle with that challenge tonight Gundy?

Why not start Zion in OT and continue with an absolutely worthless JJ (I love JJ I?m just speaking to his current play).

Absolutely terrible coaching in crunch time. Absolute shame with BI and Zo having great nights.

These are the types of games that define a season. This one hurts bad and it?s the games you look back at the end of the season and say.... that?s why ?insert negative result here?.

Gundy needs to do a heck of a lot better!

He said he didn't play Zion immediately cause he was gassed. I don't know if that's true or not but whatever the case I would rather have NAW out there than JJ. But it's waaaaaaaay too early to be doing this

Can we not be 8 years old for just like, a few months?
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Can we not be 8 years old for just like, a few months?
    I’m sorry - were my points not valid!? The title was clearly sarcasm. If you don’t like it... you don’t have to respond.

I know your constantly condescending towards people you don’t agree with on this board. So I’ll just leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    He said he didn't play Zion immediately cause he was gassed. I don't know if that's true or not but whatever the case I would rather have NAW out there than JJ. But it's waaaaaaaay too early to be doing this
    That’s fine. However, JJ is a defensive liability and has not provided any offense as of late. Makes no sense to play him.

Quote Originally Posted by HartOfaPelican View Post
    That’s fine. However, JJ is a defensive liability and has not provided any offense as of late. Makes no sense to play him.
    I agree all around. It's just unfortunate that Stan feels he has to ride guys like JJ or Bledsoe to this point. Maybe that will change now.

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    I agree all around. It's just unfortunate that Stan feels he has to ride guys like JJ or Bledsoe to this point. Maybe that will change now.
    Ride them when they are playing well. You don’t put a struggling player in OT. Play NAW if you have to.

Basketball Guru
    this is the kind of thread i expect 13-3 to start lol...

Growing pains gonna happen brotha.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    Growing pains gonna happen brotha.
    Gundy is a seasoned coach. Gotta be on top of the challenges and the TO. Hard to see so many mistakes by a coach in the last 3 minutes of a game and OT.

By my count. Gundy made 5 mistakes between the last 3 minutes and OT.

Gundy is a seasoned coach. Gotta be on top of the challenges and the TO. Hard to see so many mistakes by a coach in the last 3 minutes of a game and OT.

By my count. Gundy made 5 mistakes between the last 3 minutes and OT.
    Would you prefer Gentry?..... No? Then hey, I'm not disagreeing with your points, however these are things we learn from and get better from as a whole team and coach. I'm sure Stan realizes these things and will fix the issue. Trust the process.

EDIT: I dunno the specifics about our late game timeout situation but I know we're low on TO's. So if we lost that challenge we would've been out of Timeouts. Please correct me if I'm wrong or I'll informed.

I'll remain optimistic about our team unless it's like Gentry 2.0 and not utilizing our strengths. That's when you'll hear me say some things.

Ride them when they are playing well. You don?t put a struggling player in OT. Play NAW if you have to.
    I'm on the NAW train heavy since day 1. He deserves more minutes and Redick many many less. You see Jax consistently improving every game. NAW deserves the same.

And that damn Redick is trying his best to tank his trade value.

I have high hopes for this team, but tonight’s game was really mishandled.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Oh Yes, let's bring back Byron Scott; better yet, Jeff Bower!!!

Loss 100% on SVG. Terrible coaching at the end of the game. Cannot understand why he did not use challenge on a black and white play. Then, with 19 second left, does not call TO and advance. Terrible coaching.

Also, stuck with JJ way too long. JJ is killing the team right now. Hopefully he breaks out his slump soon.

Stan had a bad game. It happens. I hope it doesn’t happen often but it happened tonight. Our guys have to be less relaxed with the ball in urgent situations though. That also played a big part in us losing that one in the first half and late on.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Loss 100% on SVG. Terrible coaching at the end of the game. Cannot understand why he did not use challenge on a black and white play. Then, with 19 second left, does not call TO and advance. Terrible coaching.

Also, stuck with JJ way too long. JJ is killing the team right now. Hopefully he breaks out his slump soon.
    Say what you will (and I suspect you will), SVG had this team primed to win this game in regulation had the PROFESSIONAL BALL PLAYERS simply protected the rock. Coaching decisions are always second guessed after a loss. Had the team won, the second-guessing would have been a lot less deafening (if not completely muted).

You can’t put all the blame on Bayou Ron Jeremy, his assistants should have been in his ear telling him to take the time out.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    this is the kind of thread i expect 13-3 to start lol...
    Nope. I never would have started this thread. I like Stan. Trust the process

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    You can’t put all the blame on Bayou Ron Jeremy, his assistants should have been in his ear telling him to take the time out.
    This here is what I was thinking. Someone should've had that stuff that written down at least.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Lonzo can't even take 2 dribbles under pressure without turning it over

Imagine what he'd be like in the playoffs

Dude really needs a handle

Quote Originally Posted by wuggie View Post
    This here is what I was thinking. Someone should've had that stuff that written down at least.
    This goes on the entire coaching staff for sure.

We’re is the assistant coach watching the replay on the iPad and screaming at Gundy to challenge? I can’t imagine they don’t have a designated person for this kind of stuff on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Stan had a bad game. It happens. I hope it doesn’t happen often but it happened tonight. Our guys have to be less relaxed with the ball in urgent situations though. That also played a big part in us losing that one in the first half and late on.
    I know it happens but this was a number of mistakes that lead to a
    Loss.

If ou kiss the challenge fine. If you miss a TO opportunity... fine.

But multiple in one game leaving to a loss like that is terrible.

You don’t think the players watch the replay and say.... dang... coach blew it. Where was the TO? Where was the challenge coach?

We’re all fine with one mistake here and there.... but dang this one hurts a lot.

It seems people on here forget how HARD it is just to make the playoffs in the west. We need every win we can get..... we’re about to start a brutal road trip.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Lonzo can't even take 2 dribbles under pressure without turning it over

Imagine what he'd be like in the playoffs

Dude really needs a handle
    It was a broken play.... and up until that pint Zo was playing great!

A TO should of been called when JJ got trapped in the corner. It’s on Gundy.

Thread Information