Pelicans Report

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: January 4th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Indiana Pacers - 4-2

The Franchise
    My only defense of Stan is that Bled is really unreliable, JJ also.. Not a lot of fresh reliable, proven options down the stretch out on the perimeter for him.

NAW would seem like a worthy option given he can shoot better than Bled.. I think it's time to up his minutes.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Also, I don't think this should be dramatic and it's not aimed at Ingram in particular, but in my personal opinion there's almost never a good reason for one player to take 30+ shots in a game.

If they're just absolutely in flames and cannot miss and they're like, 24/30 or something then yeah okay fine, but that barely ever happens.

If someone is 9/25, that is not an indicator that they should be your sole conduit of offense for the next 10 minutes. It just isn't. The number of instances a player takes 30 shots or more in a season should be able to be counted on one hand for any given team.
    I don't like some of the shots he took.. I won't quibble with you about 30 shots.. It's a valid point of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    Will not forgive SVG for this one
    He had the team in position to win despite playing a virtual non factor for 33 minutes. All these multi-million dollar players had to do was protect the ball for the last minute and your tune would have been totally different. In crunch time is when you really earn the big bucks; tonight they stole their playchecks.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Give Kira JJ?s minutes NOW. Right now, whatever his deal is, he is not good. Kira will for sure give you better than 1-9 and no defense or rebounding.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    No problem with Ingram's "hero ball". He has earned it. A couple shots didn't fall, big deal. Better than watching Jrue brick shots down the stretch in basically every close game over the last 4+ years. It's an unfortunate loss for sure.

Really wish we could move on from JJ and Bledsoe for whatever assets to get younger guys more burn.

The Franchise
    You guys prefer Kira over NAW at present? In crunch time?

If the team would take the losses as hard as the fans they would be undefeated (lol!).

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    He had the team in position to win despite playing a virtual non factor for 33 minutes. All these multi-million dollar players had to do was protect the ball for the last minute and your tune would have been totally different. In crunch time is when you really earn the big bucks; tonight they stole their playchecks.
    I will agree with the last part of what you said... the didn't play worth a Damn at the end of regulation, but that was not a very good coaching job tonight...
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    Jj made 1 more shot than if we just wheeled a mannequin out there. Why is he getting any time whatsoever?
    lmao

We should keep jj put him on the bench like the heat do udonis haslem for the “culture” I say hart stays on the bench Bledsoe goes there and Kira get the pg opportunity cause nik act like he’s afraid to dribble sometime too Kira looked un afraid in his 3 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    No problem with Ingram's "hero ball". He has earned it. A couple shots didn't fall, big deal. Better than watching Jrue brick shots down the stretch in basically every close game over the last 4+ years. It's an unfortunate loss for sure.

Really wish we could move on from JJ and Bledsoe for whatever assets to get younger guys more burn.
    Yea but be smart about it (eg. MJ and Kobe)...BI and SVG need to trust the other star on the team. Zion is a beast also and should not be caged up at the end of games.

Nik can shoot but they say Kira can too and honestly he look like he might be the best attacker too got a little floater too Bledsoe tryna shoot midrange like Geezus

Gotta still be careful with big Z he take a lot of hard falls during games

My final verdict on this game before I go to bed for a few hours (it's 4:10am here):

We barely lost a tight game to a team that's been quite good so far. Yes, there's stuff that we can point at and critique, and some blame to be pointed around, but those are minor issues based on this one game rather than huge sweeping statements about the team in general.

7 games in, some trends have emerged. We have issues with our bench depth, our shooting is poor, and we have very inconsistent guard play. Those are just realities that, unless we make a trade, are probably going to be defining features of this season.

We've also established some other trends: Ingram's playmaking is progressing nicely, Zion has had a number of games now where his defense has been outright good, even if there have been holes in places, and the entire team is seeing the benefit of the defensive scheme despite occasional mishaps, and generally the team has passed the ball well the majority of the time.

Are we going to be a top 3 seed in the West this year, based on an analysis of how we've looked early? No. Could we still be a playoff team at the end of the season? Yeah I think so, although it's not written in stone. Is that okay? Absolutely it is.

We're 4-3, with two games coming up against Charlotte and OKC. Those are both incredibly winnable games. We walk out into the road trip 6-3 and we go from there. All's okay so far.
    Basketball.

...Nobody said those tweets in particular were ''analytical'', you said they were ''random people'' who were probably ''Lonzo stans'' so I explained who they were. No big deal if you don't care, but now you have the information you were clearly unaware of beforehand.
    When you say "Nuggets guy" I'm thinking he works in some capacity for the team. Looks like he's just some random Nuggets fan.

The other guy just writes for the Athletic.

Yeah they are random...which explains those tweets. You are consistent dude.

Those are dumb tweets given all the things Ingram did tonight. Jordan had plenty games like that. Best players get ridden in the 4th for better or worse. The head coach has to know when to ease up. This one is on SVG.
    Last edited by luckyman; 01-04-2021 at 10:18 PM.

The Franchise
    So that's two of you so far.. Who would rather see Kira over NAW help run the offense down the stretch in conjunction with Zion, in between possessions so that Ingram isn't completely gassed.

Interesting.. Not sure if Kira is ready for that role but anything beats Bled and JJ..

Quote Originally Posted by Algiersraised View Post
    Gotta still be careful with big Z he take a lot of hard falls during games
    Well then he needs to dish it out also. I'd take Zion and the money anyday when it comes to being physical in basketball.

Part of the reason there is so much standing around when Zion has the ball is because he's a virtual black hole. Through the first seven games Zion has had exactly eight assists. This is not a criticism; it's a fact.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    You guys prefer Kira over NAW at present? In crunch time?
    Honestly just play both, and go with the hot hand. How JJ can get 31 minutes and not do a damn thing is just bad coaching. SVG could see after a few minutes that JJ was STILL throwing up bricks. Replace him with NAW/Kira and see more efficiency immediately.

My final verdict on this game before I go to bed for a few hours (it's 4:10am here):

We barely lost a tight game to a team that's been quite good so far. Yes, there's stuff that we can point at and critique, and some blame to be pointed around, but those are minor issues based on this one game rather than huge sweeping statements about the team in general.

7 games in, some trends have emerged. We have issues with our bench depth, our shooting is poor, and we have very inconsistent guard play. Those are just realities that, unless we make a trade, are probably going to be defining features of this season.

We've also established some other trends: Ingram's playmaking is progressing nicely, Zion has had a number of games now where his defense has been outright good, even if there have been holes in places, and the entire team is seeing the benefit of the defensive scheme despite occasional mishaps, and generally the team has passed the ball well the majority of the time.

Are we going to be a top 3 seed in the West this year, based on an analysis of how we've looked early? No. Could we still be a playoff team at the end of the season? Yeah I think so, although it's not written in stone. Is that okay? Absolutely it is.

We're 4-3, with two games coming up against Charlotte and OKC. Those are both incredibly winnable games. We walk out into the road trip 6-3 and we go from there. All's okay so far.

Which is the reason games like this can't be thrown away by VETERAN coaching. Our margin of error is thin.

Games like this can carry into the next one. Thank goodness it's just OKC, but they can't come out flat.

Boy this burns.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Part of the reason there is so much standing around when Zion has the ball is because he's a virtual black hole. Through the first seven games Zion has had exactly eight assists. This is not a criticism; it's a fact.
    I think he'll get better in that area.. I would agree he could look to pass more. I like his aggression though.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    Honestly just play both, and go with the hot hand. How JJ can get 31 minutes and not do a damn thing is just bad coaching. SVG could see after a few minutes that JJ was STILL throwing up bricks. Replace him with NAW/Kira and see more efficiency immediately.
    Yea either one would be upgrades at present.. I agree.

Yea I figure he’s built like a defensive end but that’s not good for slamming into the hardwood 17 times a night but I love the fearlessness we have something special between Brandon Zion adams and Hayes jaxson really just need a lil more muscle for the defensive side

And Jaxson Hayes deserves some credit. He's looking less awkward with touch around the basket and starting to play disciplined basketball.

Was starting to get worried about him for a second but he looked good tonight.

Thread Information