Pelicans Report

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: December 31st - New Orleans Pelicans @ Oklahoma City Thunder - 2-2

NAWs minutes should be solidified at this point. I dont like the fact that it took a blow out for the coach to see this. But it is what it is.

I'd prefer Kira to only get garbage time minutes. This next off season should be a more proper one, and I'd hate for him to waste it having to rehab some injury.

I'd actually love to see Naji Marshall get in. He seems to be on the active roster and traveling with the team. And he plays a position of severe need.

Or do the other thing I've been wanting...bring Didi over. Assuming his english is up to snuff which seems like the main barrier at this point.
    Last edited by luckyman; 01-01-2021 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post

Or do the other thing I've been wanting...bring Didi over. Assuming his english is up to snuff which seems like the main barrier at this point.
    With all due respect, if DiDi would help this team, language is no barrier. His NBL stats are not anything special or awe-inspiring (for that league) at all. I truly have my doubts as to whether DiDi will ever suit up in Pelican Uni. His player rights are much more valuable to us than the player is.

I, too, long for the days of a 13 man rotation.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    With all due respect, if DiDi would help this team, language is no barrier. His NBL stats are not anything special or awe-inspiring (for that league) at all. I truly have my doubts as to whether DiDi will ever suit up in Pelican Uni. His player rights are much more valuable to us than the player is.
    If you think language is no barrier, for a team where both Gentry and Stan have consistently said communication has been the biggest problem, I don't know what to tell you.

And his stats don't need to be awe inspiring. They have been good and good enough to where he's moved into a starter role this year and looked good in their first preseason game.

So all these negative Didi takes seem to coming from thin air based on bad logic and nothing at all.

If you think language is no barrier, for a team where both Gentry and Stan have consistently said communication has been the biggest problem, I don't know what to tell you.

And his stats don't need to be awe inspiring. They have been good and good enough to where he's moved into a starter role this year and looked good in their first preseason game.

So all these negative Didi takes seem to coming from thin air based on bad logic and nothing at all.
    Then, I guess, in your eyes, and based on my take of a second round draft pick, I'm illogical. I'll have to live with that.

Then, I guess, in your eyes, and based on my take of a second round draft pick, I'm illogical. I'll have to live with that.
    He's a 35th pick. All 2nd round picks aren't equal. You dont toss a 35th pick into the NBL for a couple of years then toss them away for peanuts. That makes no sense at all. Thats what you do with UFA 2-ways.

But hey, not going to waste time arguing it. Especially when every time I prognosticate, someone HAS to come and tell me I'm wrong. Then when I'm proven right (which has been often lately), they change their tune, get amnesia, or disappear.

You got it bruh. All yours.

I'm not trying to come across as rude, but I am wondering slightly how much of Didi you actually watched last year. It wasn't every single game for me, probably about 18 or so, but he was more bad than he was good and the stats aren't actually representative of his average game imo; they were skewed by like, 2 or 3 outlier performances when in reality his average performance was of much weaker calibre.

But hey, not going to waste time arguing it. Especially when every time I prognosticate, someone HAS to come and tell me I'm wrong.
    You mean, kind of like you did when I prognosticated about DiDi's future with the Pelicans and you called me illogical?

I 'feel' you, Bruh!!!

The kid has played less than 30 NBA games.....can we stop talking about his future!!!!
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I'm not trying to come across as rude, but I am wondering slightly how much of Didi you actually watched last year. It wasn't every single game for me, probably about 18 or so, but he was more bad than he was good and the stats aren't actually representative of his average game imo; they were skewed by like, 2 or 3 outlier performances when in reality his average performance was of much weaker calibre.
    I've watched a couple, but I know what to look for. Not looking for him to tear that league up, as a 20 year old rookie, with language issues. He also battled through some injury issues with his ankle.

And unless those 2 or 3 performances were like 30 or 40 point games, they aren't going to skew a whole season of stats. His stats say he played about as well as expected off the bench. They were mostly better than the NBL 2-way guy they just signed. And he never had a 30 or 40 point game or even double digit rebounds. So his stats say who he was.

But I'm not going through this AGAIN. We've done this a few times already with different players.

Once upon a time I had to argue on here with 3 mfs about how Tim Duncan will be remembered as one the game's best PFs. Not as a center. I actually had to argue that.

This place can be like the twilight zone sometimes. Not today.
    Last edited by luckyman; 01-01-2021 at 05:30 PM.

You mean, kind of like you did when I prognosticated about DiDi's future with the Pelicans and you called me illogical?

I 'feel' you, Bruh!!!
    When I posted about Didi in this thread, that post was alone. Not a response to you. Dont think I responded to you in some other thread either.

So no idea what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    The kid has played less than 30 NBA games
    well I suppose 0 is less than 30

It was a joke. Calm down people

Its a dumb game, with a ball, that a bunch of millionaires who couldnt care less about you get to play while we all sit here and yell at each other about it

NAW has been great but I wouldn't be ready to put him over JJ. It's been five games. JJ will get back to his form. Kinda wonder if he's trying too hard to impress SVG (who he obviously has tremendous respect for) but he'll level out, soon, and be back to the blue collar sniper we love. But man, imagine this start but with a normal JJ.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Its a dumb game, with a ball, that a bunch of millionaires who couldnt care less about you get to play while we all sit here and yell at each other about it
    Come on Mac, this isn't the Nihilistball forum

When I posted about Didi in this thread, that post was alone. Not a response to you. Dont think I responded to you in some other thread either.

So no idea what you're talking about.
    At least you didn't argue that you never called me 'illogical'.

By definition, a forum (such as this) is a place to exchange thoughts an ideas. <<<>>>

Further, the first four words written in the post where I countered your original post about DiDi read as follows, "With all due respect...". Then for my post, I'm called illogical? I wasn't looking to fight with you....negate you...or belittle you. I thought I was only offering my slant on a subject you brought up. Please forgive me.

Again, sorry for thinking my own thoughts and for those thoughts being different from yours, but do have a very Happy and Prosperous New Year!!!

I've watched a couple, but I know what to look for. Not looking for him to tear that league up, as a 20 year old rookie, with language issues. He also battled through some injury issues with his ankle.

And unless those 2 or 3 performances were like 30 or 40 point games, they aren't going to skew a whole season of stats. His stats say he played about as well as expected off the bench. They were mostly better than the NBL 2-way guy they just signed. And he never had a 30 or 40 point game or even double digit rebounds. So his stats say who he was.
    Well the stat I had in mind was his 3pt shooting. On the season he was something like a 37.5% shooter on 5 a game, which is obviously quite good just on paper. In reality, he had 2 games where he went a combined 15/22, which boosted his season average massively given how short the season was for him (28 games, iirc). In the other 26 games, he was a 31% 3pt shooter, which is actually pretty poor shooting.

That's an example of what I mean by outlier games skewing the perspective when you look at the stats outside of context.

Well the stat I had in mind was his 3pt shooting. On the season he was something like a 37.5% shooter on 5 a game, which is obviously quite good just on paper. In reality, he had 2 games where he went a combined 15/22, which boosted his season average massively given how short the season was for him (28 games, iirc). In the other 26 games, he was a 31% 3pt shooter, which is actually pretty poor shooting.

That's an example of what I mean by outlier games skewing the perspective when you look at the stats outside of context.
    He was a 33% on the year on threes and 48% otherwise. I dont see any 2-game stretches (or 2 random games) where he went 15-22. He had a 3-game stretch of 9-17 (53%) and another 3-game stretch going 10-19 (53%). So two different stretches going 19-36 over 6 games. Both of those occurred at opposite ends of the year. I do believe he had a period in the middle dealing with a bad ankle.

All in all averaged 10/4/2 on 23 minutes per off the bench for the best team in the NBL. Again, pretty good for a rookie in his circumstances. Not "awful" like being portrayed in here for some odd reason.

But if you run, the Brooks Adrenaline 21s are awesome stability shoes for anybody with past injuries or achilles issues like me. I 100% recommend.
    Last edited by luckyman; 01-01-2021 at 06:47 PM.

He was a 33% on the year on threes and 48% otherwise. I dont see any 2-game stretches where he went 15-22. He had a 3-game stretch of 9-17 (53%) and another 3-game stretch going 10-19 (53%). So two different stretches going 19-36 over 6 games. Both of those occurred at opposite ends of the year. I do believe he had a period in the middle dealing with a bad ankle.

All in all averaged 10/4/2 on 23 minutes per off the bench. Again, pretty good for a rookie in his circumstances. Not "awful" like being portrayed in here for some odd reason.

But if you run, the Brooks Adrenaline 21s are awesome stability shoes for anybody with past injuries or achilles issues like me. I 100% recommend.
    https://basketball.realgm.com/player.../International

This is what I'm working off. 28 games played for the Sydney Kings between 9/20/2019 and 3/15/2020, in which he shot overall 52/140 from 3 for a total of 37.1%.

The two outlier games I'm talking about were on September 22nd of 2019 against Perth, were he went 8/11 from 3, and again also VS Perth on October 11th when he went for 7/11 from 3. Remove those two games from the 52/140 total, you get 37/118 as his total for the other 26 games, which is 31.3%. Which is pretty bad.

Not trying to dispute your take or anything, just clearing up where I got those stats from and where my perspective is coming from.

https://basketball.realgm.com/player.../International

This is what I'm working off. 28 games played for the Sydney Kings between 9/20/2019 and 3/15/2020, in which he shot overall 52/140 from 3 for a total of 37.1%.

The two outlier games I'm talking about were on September 22nd of 2019 against Perth, were he went 8/11 from 3, and again also VS Perth on October 11th when he went for 7/11 from 3. Remove those two games from the 52/140 total, you get 37/118 as his total for the other 26 games, which is 31.3%. Which is pretty bad.

Not trying to dispute your take or anything, just clearing up where I got those stats from and where my perspective is coming from.
    That 9/22 game is preseason. My numbers are all regular season stats which didnt begin until October 18th against New Zealand.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar

but
    are you hearing anything about the status of Gabriel? I might be dead wrong, but I think he will eventually get the opportunity to impact some games...
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

That 9/22 game is preseason. My numbers are all regular season stats which didnt begin until October 18th against New Zealand.
    That's fine, I'm just working with every game he played, since the sample is so small. Just explaining why I said what I said when your numbers disagreed with it.

Honestly, we still don't know what we have in Hernangomez, Gabriel, Marshall, and Thornwell. Before we talk about who to trade for who and all that jazz, we should look at our options. Not saying those players will be great off the bench. But if they give us 5-10 pts, 2-5 assists, and 2-5 Reb off the bench with some decent Defense on a decent basis, I say that's lovely.

EDIT: I mean in an individual effort. I think Gabriel will give us quality defense, dunno bout Hernangomez and Marshall, and Thornwell gives us a decent 3 ball with good defense like a poor man's Josh Hart.
    Last edited by hornetzplaya; 01-01-2021 at 08:53 PM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Only player I hold some hope for is Gabriel. I don't buy in to Marshall or Thornwell.

That's fair. Nonetheless, we don't know.

Thread Information