Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: December 31st - New Orleans Pelicans @ Oklahoma City Thunder - 2-2

It's 2021 here in the UK (As it has been for some time for our Australian friends) so this is the first game of the year for me. Let's start as we mean to go on.
    Basketball.

These early season scores are wild. 76ers up by 40 in the 3rd on the 4-0 Magic.

That foul call challenge

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    These early season scores are wild. 76ers up by 40 in the 3rd on the 4-0 Magic.
    Absolutely nobody is ready

At this rate, every team will have been 40 pieced by the end of January and we can all move on.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I don?t think he is a poor player by any means and there is every chance that he will get there. At this moment he looks exactly as everyone predicted coming into this season- a very poor fit. Defensively I like what he has brought, but we can?t continue to be this poor in the half court. That is how you zap everyone?s confidence going forward.
    It's not just Bledsoe that's struggling to get good looks. Everyone that can;t create for themselves is struggling to get good looks so far. If I had to point the finger at anything it's the offensive system being outdated and ineffective.

Zion with a great O board and put back, among the trees

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    It's not just Bledsoe that's struggling to get good looks. Everyone that can;t create for themselves is struggling to get good looks so far. If I had to point the finger at anything it's the offensive system being outdated and ineffective.
    There's only so much you can do with an offensive system that has to be designed around having a team with basically no consistently high level playmakers and decision makers. You have to try and compensate for the fact that you probably have at least 3 complete non-initiators on the floor at all times, probably 4 when bench rotations start happening. Hard to look like the 2016 Warriors on offense when that's the case.

Adams imposing his will early

Really nice dish from Zion there

Zion with a sweet screen and roll with Lonzo, good to see that pocket pass getting through early

Great skip pass from Ingram as he drove into the paint.

Much better offensive movement so far tonight

This is back to the early Monty days of over helping. Leave 3 point shooters wide open.

3's wide open and have been drained by OKC. Van Gundy needs to change his D philosophy otherwise we will be killed by 3pt practice sessions in real games.

It's a Ringling Bros / Barnum and Bailey Circus when opponents swing the ball around the perimeter; a real Chinese Fire Drill. It always provides for an open corner three.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    There's only so much you can do with an offensive system that has to be designed around having a team with basically no consistently high level playmakers and decision makers. You have to try and compensate for the fact that you probably have at least 3 complete non-initiators on the floor at all times, probably 4 when bench rotations start happening. Hard to look like the 2016 Warriors on offense when that's the case.
    No, a good offensive system compensates for not having high level playmakers. Pels just don't run much action that bends the defense out of shape and makes the other team scramble. I see a lot less off-ball movement this year compared to last.

Zo looking good.

Reddick struggling still

No, a good offensive system compensates for not having high level playmakers. Pels just don't run much action that bends the defense out of shape and makes the other team scramble. I see a lot less off-ball movement this year compared to last.
    There is no offensive system that can solve having 80% of your lineup at almost any given time having relatively low decision making ability levels and zero self creation.

Gave up seven threes in the first quarter. We scored just two.

Gave up 7 threes and still leading

How do you read into that?

There is no offensive system that can solve having 80% of your lineup at almost any given time having relatively low decision making ability levels and zero self creation.
    It would be one thing if we had a bunch of good iso players but we don’t even have that. Ball is still growing as a player. Zion is as well. Bledsoe has been sucking something else from behind the 3 point line. Adams is Adams. Ingram is the only 3 way scorer. Not much Stan can do unless somebody else steps up.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Gave up 7 threes and still leading

How do you read into that?
    Our offense in general was good. We took threes but they were mostly good ones, even if they missed. We dominated on the glass, only had 2 turnovers, shot better than 50% from 2, didn't foul, and had 8 assists on 13 made shots.

That's good stuff. Play consistently like that and it's much easier to weather bad shooting from 3.

I feel like it's 60% rather than 80% at any given time but I've read your views on Lonzo and I know you're putting Bledsoe in the same category. Whereas I'd give them both a passing grade.

Bledsoe drove, all the way, AND made the shot!

Sound the alarms!

I feel like it's 60% rather than 80% at any given time but I've read your views on Lonzo and I know you're putting Bledsoe in the same category. Whereas I'd give them both a passing grade.
    Bledsoe has shown he can do it in optimum circumstances, but I don't believe this particular team meets those circumstances.

Bledsoe drove, all the way, AND made the shot!

Sound the alarms!
    HE DID IT AGAIN

Thread Information