Pelicans Report

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: December 29th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Phoenix Suns - 2-1

Anybody trying to point the finger at Zion, and not this atrocious starting back court and bench, needs to stop watching basketball.

Yes Zion is not where he needs to be on defense but he's 20 on a rookie+ year.

I am encouraged that SVG was asked about the bench rotation and he said they may need to look at other guys (aka NAW).

So it's a blessing in disguise as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    It's early man, stay patient. Concern is healthy, but there's a long way to go before we start questioning stuff like that.
    The smart thing to do is make extremely intense long-term statements based on less than 30 games of play.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    The smart thing to do is make extremely intense long-term statements based on less than 30 games of play.
    Yep. And if we acknowledge that and try to keep a level head than that means we're biased and that we think "he can do no wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Anybody trying to point the finger at Zion, and not this atrocious starting back court and bench, needs to stop watching basketball.

Yes Zion is not where he needs to be on defense but he's 20 on a rookie+ year.

I am encouraged that SVG was asked about the bench rotation and he said they may need to look at other guys (aka NAW).

So it's a blessing in disguise as far as I'm concerned.
    I mean, dudes are literally bringing up assists with Zion. As if he doesn't create so much opportunities for others simply by commanding so much attention on the floor. You just can't win with these people.

I certainly stand by my 'One Trick Pony'.

Yep. And if we acknowledge that and try to keep a level head than that means we're biased and that we think "he can do no wrong"
    It's kind of funny how sample sizes just don't matter to some people sometimes. Like, maybe if you asked them, in a vacuum, if you should judge a player's career on 30 games or fewer they would say no, but when they have a point they want to make it suddenly becomes acceptable.

I mean, dudes are literally bringing up assists with Zion. As if he doesn't create so much opportunities for others simply by commanding so much attention on the floor. You just can't win with these people.
    Also, not sure if anyone is aware of this, but you can't register an assist if you pass it to someone who misses. If your team shoots 9% from 3, you're going to have trouble racking up dimes. This applies to everyone, not just Zion, but it's true here as well.

Name FG% 3PT%
    Brandon Ingram 45.7% (32/70) 41.2% (10/24)
    Zion Williamson 53.1% (34/64) 0.00% (0/2)
    Steven Adams 76.1% (16/21) N/A
    Eric Bledsoe 36.8% (13/38) 28.6% (6/21)
    Lonzo Ball 37.2% (16/43) 28.6% (8/28)

Our Starters FG% at this point, 4 games in.

Not the prettiest of numbers, overall. Obviously there are some bright spots, like Ingram's 3pt% and Adams' overall efficiency, while Zion's is still solid even if we hope to see it increase, but Lonzo and Bledsoe are both just glaring voids in the offense so far this year.
    It's about what we all expect. Us getting Ball in that trade instead of having to draft (Even an undersized shooter in)Garland last year has been one hell of an albatross.
    Last edited by Taker597; 12-30-2020 at 12:10 AM.

Kira looked no where near as small as folks thought even at 19. Kid obviously hit the weight room since Alabama. Will eventually be a nice sized PG that can fight through screens easily.

But I'd still like this to be a red shirt type year.

People are hedging their bets I see. Somebody needs to light a fire under Bled’s arse and soon. Start Nickeil even if it’s only to put pressure on our backcourt to take responsibility.

Also, not sure if anyone is aware of this, but you can't register an assist if you pass it to someone who misses. If your team shoots 9% from 3, you're going to have trouble racking up dimes. This applies to everyone, not just Zion, but it's true here as well.
    Dude if you don’t hedge your bets you can’t sit at the cool table.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Ouch

If we are really honest, it's a pretty good comparison to date. Never mind that Julius is a better rebounder and FT Shooter; Zion has the better 'UP's'!!

This is something other people have highlighted as well so I don't want to sound like I think I just discovered this cause I absolutely didn't.

BUT

One thing that really annoys me about our team is how quickly we devolve into isoball. Like, it's one thing if one guy is just absolutely in flames and cannot miss a shot, maybe you try and focus through that guy if he's just feeling it, okay I get that.

But when our offense is struggling, the last thing you should do is say ''okay that means it's time for us to just stop passing and stop ball movement and stop moving off ball and let one guy try to fix it''. That's absurd, and it's something we've done multiple times so far this season already, only 4 games in. Just not good enough, frankly.

If your offense is struggling, you want to increase the motion, increase the passes, because in doing so you increase the opportunities which are what you need. It also over pressurises a single player; it says to them, ''we all know it's messed up, you fix it''. That's awful.

I'll go on the record: I really think NAW gets the start against his cousin on New Year's Eve in place of Bledsoe. Out with the old and in with the new.

Nothing ventured; nothing gained.

Games like tonight?s make it understandable when Grizzly fans get upset with Zion getting more nationally televised games than the Ja.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

This is something other people have highlighted as well so I don't want to sound like I think I just discovered this cause I absolutely didn't.

BUT

One thing that really annoys me about our team is how quickly we devolve into isoball. Like, it's one thing if one guy is just absolutely in flames and cannot miss a shot, maybe you try and focus through that guy if he's just feeling it, okay I get that.

But when our offense is struggling, the last thing you should do is say ''okay that means it's time for us to just stop passing and stop ball movement and stop moving off ball and let one guy try to fix it''. That's absurd, and it's something we've done multiple times so far this season already, only 4 games in. Just not good enough, frankly.

If your offense is struggling, you want to increase the motion, increase the passes, because in doing so you increase the opportunities which are what you need. It also over pressurises a single player; it says to them, ''we all know it's messed up, you fix it''. That's awful.
    I believe before this game the Pelicans were 3rd or 4th in unassisted FGA %. The complete opposite of Gentry era teams.

I didn't bring it up because...they've played 3 games. Now 4 games. 4 whole games.

When we become 6-26 again is when I'll get worried. This season is all about flirting with 0.500 all season, anyway. Pretty happy with the start. Coming out flat on West Coast trip has been a consistent issue with us.

I guess we need to accept that this is part of Zion's development. SVG is putting him out there in the half court set and giving him the ball to work on his ball handling for better or worse. This will make him better in the long run. Put him in uncomfortable positions and let him learn how to be effective creating his own shots in traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    I guess we need to accept that this is part of Zion's development. SVG is putting him out there in the half court set and giving him the ball to work on his ball handling for better or worse. This will make him better in the long run. Put him in uncomfortable positions and let him learn how to be effective creating his own shots in traffic.
    He opened the game with a couple mid range/close range jumpers for the first time. And made them both.

But screw letting a 20 year old grow his game. He needs to be where AD was in his 4th year NOW...apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    He opened the game with a couple mid range/close range jumpers for the first time. And made them both.

But screw letting a 20 year old grow his game. He needs to be where AD was in his 4th year NOW...apparently.
    He hit a handful of those jumpers last season as well, including a fairly nice turnaround, and his 3pt shooting was decent last season as well (on miniscule sample size, of course). I am very willing to believe that there is potential there, if it's given opportunity and coaching.

I think the main issue so far is bench scoring. We depend on Redick to be our Lou Williams, our scoring 6th man. If he doesn’t score, we’ll have issues winning consistently. He’s been ice cold the last three games and it has significantly impacted our offensive output. It doesn’t help that our starting backcourt has slumped as well, but JJ is a designated scorer. We need points from him to be successful. Hopefully he breaks out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    I think the main issue so far is bench scoring. We depend on Redick to be our Lou Williams, our scoring 6th man. If he doesn’t score, we’ll have issues winning consistently. He’s been ice cold the last three games and it has significantly impacted our offensive output. It doesn’t help that our starting backcourt has slumped as well, but JJ is a designated scorer. We need points from him to be successful. Hopefully he breaks out soon.
    I mean absolutely, but even if JJ had gone 4/6 from 3 tonight it wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game. We need more actual on-ball decision makers. Ball and Bledsoe do not cut it.

That was really ugly game to watch... Terrible defence at the 3 point line, disgusting FT shooting and way to much tournovers... Man ohhh Man....

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    The biggest thing that stands out to me is we aren?t even dominating the boards. That has been our bread and butter and we aren?t doing that either.
    You know the Suns have Deandre Ayton who is one of the league's best rebounders right? And he's huge and strong as ******** so gonna be hard to box him out or move him out of the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Better not lose to Minty
    *Monty.

Thread Information