Pelicans Report

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: December 27th - New Orleans Pelicans vs San Antonio Spurs - 1-1

The defense and rebounding with adding SVG and Adams is night and day.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Why do we "Need" that? Is the goal to absolutely maximize the number of wins this year, even if it is at the expense of development for the future? Why not play young guys and let them take their lumps so you are better in 2023....even if that makes you 5% worse in 2020-21?
    ... It's just the luxury to match up better and maximize wins against a certain match up that clearly exposes a weakness in a positional depth issue at big while buying low on salary. Granted... Those match up are few and far inbetween. We already excel at rebounding and playmaking far better than last year, but Hayes will probably still be a liability come playoffs. Can't juat overcome the strength & weight hurdle during the season.

Also meanwhile, Bucks getting spanked by the Knicks. Giannis has 27, Middleton 22, and Jrue has 8

Seen that movie before.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    ... It's just the luxury to match up better and maximize wins against a certain match up that clearly exposes a weakness in a positional depth issue at big while buying low on salary. Granted... Those match up are few and far inbetween. We already excel at rebounding and playmaking far better than last year, but Hayes will probably still be a liability come playoffs. Can't juat overcome the strength & weight hurdle during the season.
    If we even make the playoffs this year that should be considered as a bonus, rather than the sort of thing we should be planning our entire year around. We are not ''going for it'' this year. Saying that we should have someone to take Jax's minutes because Jax would be a playoff liability is kind of missing the point.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    Adams Zion Bi Hart and Lonzo is our best 5
    True, but I'm pretty happy with any combination of four of those and anyone not named Bledsoe. I realize it's early in the season, new team and coach, etc., but several times in the first three games I have felt like he was a non-factor at best and a liability at worst.

Even with the weight/strength hurdle, he still needs to mentally learn how to play. He wont even know how strong he needs to get unless he plays and gets those mental scouting reports.

Those 17 minutes tonight were perfect for him. And fits the long-term goals of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    If we even make the playoffs this year that should be considered as a bonus, rather than the sort of thing we should be planning our entire year around. We are not ''going for it'' this year. Saying that we should have someone to take Jax's minutes because Jax would be a playoff liability is kind of missing the point.
    Let's see how the season progress and how Jax pans out throughout the year...

The writing on the wall seems pretty clear.Jax just won't be ready and there isn't anything wrong with that.

Let's see how the season progress and how Jax pans out throughout the year...

The writing on the wall seems pretty clear.Jax just won't be ready and there isn't anything wrong with that.
    There isn't anything wrong with that. Because what he ''won't be ready for'' is not a priority right now. So just keep playing him his minutes, let him grow, and take the lumps.

Just came home from the game. More people in there than expected and it was a great experience. Ingram needs to stop getting caught in the air and trying to make a decision while up there.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    There isn't anything wrong with that. Because what he ''won't be ready for'' is not a priority right now. So just keep playing him his minutes, let him grow, and take the lumps.
    not wrong and also very Macnama'ish as well...
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

I don't buy this at all. You play to win the games, not simply compete in them. This, of all the team sports, is a player-driven league. If any player on my team doesn't make winning a priority, he should pack his bags now, because his time with my team will be brief.

....and now that the win has sunk in, I'm still upset that NAW has only seen four minutes of playing time thus far this season.

Basketball Guru
    you have ingram on record telling griff and crew that he dont intend on missing the playoffs again and we just paid this dude so yes the playoffs is what the team is shooting for.......we know zion will not take missing the playoffs for long....this team cant depend on hayes right now until i think 22/23 season so i been on the page that we need better backups at center and PF.....hell , melli didnt get playing time tonight....so im with you on this...

now lets be fair..if the posters who defend lonzo are stans then the posters who defend hayes are stans also because to me the hayes talk is starting to sound alot like the diallo talk on this board which is not fair to diallo because diallo did have a shot and could grab rebounds in his second year......now some of yall can flame away lol...

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    you have ingram on record telling griff and crew that he dont intend on missing the playoffs again and we just paid this dude so yes the playoffs is what the team is shooting for.......we know zion will not take missing the playoffs for long....this team cant depend on hayes right now until i think 22/23 season so i been on the page that we need better backups at center and PF.....hell , melli didnt get playing time tonight....so im with you on this...

now lets be fair..if the posters who defend lonzo are stans then the posters who defend hayes are stans also because to me the hayes talk is starting to sound alot like the diallo talk on this board which is not fair to diallo because diallo did have a shot and could grab rebounds in his second year......now some of yall can flame away lol...
    Speaking of Cheik, I was thinking about him this afternoon. He was buried during his stay here in the 'Gentry System'. With his motor, I think he could possibly flourish with real coaching...especially on the defensive end. Could be a back-up 4...there are worse He is an unsigned free agent currently.

But then again, what do I know?

Elfrid and Julius combine for 56 in Knicks victory over Milwaukee.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post

Nah. Hayes is only beginning his 2nd year and Hayes "stans" understand this. Lonzo is starting his 4th year and coming up on a contract extension.

And Diallo never had a shot nor could he block them.

Possibly hot take: through 3 games, Adams has been our second best player and it isn't particularly close.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Nah. Hayes is only beginning his 2nd year and Hayes "stans" understand this. Lonzo is starting his 4th year and coming up on a contract extension.

Yeah it's a completely disingenuous comparison. Lonzo had been a ''star'' PG right out of college who was touted as the next Magic Johnson who then utterly failed to deliver on basically everything for literally years. Jax was drafted with everyone knowing he was a bit of a project, and has years before that project has to have real cost. It's a totally different situation.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post

Cheick is a 60% lifetime shooter who averaged 12 minutes per appearance. Just the kind of relief Zion would require nightly.

But like I say, what do I know?

The Franchise
    Brandon Ingram is the first #Pelicans player with 80 pts, 20 reb and 20 ast through the team’s first 3 games of a season, per ESPN Stats & Info

https://www.facebook.com/PelicansNBA...7716240637927/

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    Possibly hot take: through 3 games, Adams has been our second best player and it isn't particularly close.
    Totally Agree!! Certainly the glue that holds things together at least.
    Last edited by As I See It; 12-27-2020 at 09:58 PM.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Totally Agree!!
    Definite upgrade over Favors.. Which is surprising, I thought Favors was better than he actually showed last season.

If Adams' contract is an overpay, Asik's contract was Grand Larceny.

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    Definite upgrade over Favors.. Which is surprising, I thought Favors was better than he actually showed last season.
    Yeah I'm not exactly sure what was going on with Favors' back last year but, while he was still solid defensively, the movement was a real issue and the offensive sharpness was a nothing. Combine that with missing huge spans of time due to injury and also personal issues (which are completely understandable and which I do not blame him for) it meant his impact on the team was way smaller than I had hoped it was going to be.

Adams, fingers crossed, seems to be in good shape, reasonably healthy, and ready to go. Which is fantastic, and his impact has been clear already.

Btw... I'm not calling Hayes a bust or to abandon him. He just needs more time. If we are going to be playoff participate. Regardless how feel towards Hayes and his minutes. In his current form... There is no match up you can really win in the West where Hayes get 10+ minutes in his current form. We could always have better depth. Apply that to a razor thin depth at the big position. So, don't get it twisted.

Hayes is growing in a positive direction. I just don't want to throw him to wolves in bad match ups.

Thread Information