Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: We're all getting frustrated at taking Hayes @ 8 but....

Quote Originally Posted by Wowowowow View Post
    I?m all in on Griff and Langdon.

I think Griff does a lot of Hannibal Lector peacock stuff and draft night 2019 at the time I would have went a different direction, but they?ve gained a fan in me with no regrets. Just trust. I like Jaxson. I think he?s a winner.. I think his ceiling is Robert Parrish. Just needs more time.
    With all due respect, Parish isn't half the athlete that JAX is (Parish played four years at Golden State in obscurity before breaking out with the Larry Bird Celtics). I think JAX's ceiling could be Elvin Hayes or Kevin Garnett, but more likely Alvin Adams...none of which is an insult by any means. JAX is not an anchor and never will be...he will always need room to operate
    Last edited by As I See It; 12-27-2020 at 05:02 PM.

The Franchise
    My only issue if he or any player is going to get a redshirt year then send them overseas or something. Don’t waste a contract year.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    My only issue if he or any player is going to get a redshirt year then send them overseas or something. Don’t waste a contract year.
    A different conversation, but one that applies. At present, I think first round picks cannot be stashed...they are entitled to be compensated at the CBA's agreed upon rookie scale. Second round draft picks (like DiDi Louzada-Silva) and Rookie Free Agents can be stashed or can sign two way contracts.

i wanted Brand Clarke at 8, but that said y'all need to be patient with jaxson. we knew he was raw when he was drafted, he's still ahead of guys like Mo Bamba and there have been plenty of bigs in the league who were behind where Jaxson is now and ended up being good players.

I still think he's a dwight powell like player, but he has the potential to be more.

Im hoping having Adams around will help Jaxson because his IQ is horrible and seems to get worse every game.

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanNation View Post
    Im hoping having Adams around will help Jaxson because his IQ is horrible and seems to get worse every game.
    This is my bigger concern. Perhaps the coaching change means a reset to his progression in understanding of the game, but it really feels like he's only regressed in that regard. I know he's young, but sometimes some players never put that together. I'm really pulling for Jaxson, because I love his energy and the excitement he can bring to the game. But he needs to start improving his decision making, because he's such a liability right now it hurts.

He's not being given limited responsibilities to sit there and shot block. He's being asked to play pick and roll defense, make rotations, and defend away from the paint when necessary. This is the ugly side of development. Its going take time.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    He's not being given limited responsibilities to sit there and shot block. He's being asked to play pick and roll defense, make rotations, and defend away from the paint when necessary. This is the ugly side of development. Its going take time.
    Yep. I?m glad he is actually getting minutes. This should be a developmental season Win or lose.

The people I've talked to within the organization love Jax. Apparently, he works his butt off and he really wants to be good. His issue right now is very clearly mental processing on both ends. But, again, we should have seen that coming given how little basketball he played prior to entering the league.

The skill that people love is his passing ability and coordination. There's a ton of untapped potential there on the short roll and in the high post. He shows flashes basically every game.

Jaxson's main issue right now is we still don't have that killer in the PnR. If you don't have a guy that can create in the PnR, then a lob threat like Jax is basically worthless. If you paired Jaxson with Goran Dragic, people would be losing their minds about his potential.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    The people I've talked to within the organization love Jax. Apparently, he works his butt off and he really wants to be good. His issue right now is very clearly mental processing on both ends. But, again, we should have seen that coming given how little basketball he played prior to entering the league.

The skill that people love is his passing ability and coordination. There's a ton of untapped potential there on the short roll and in the high post. He shows flashes basically every game.

Jaxson's main issue right now is we still don't have that killer in the PnR. If you don't have a guy that can create in the PnR, then a lob threat like Jax is basically worthless. If you paired Jaxson with Goran Dragic, people would be losing their minds about his potential.
    Absolutely agree. He desperately needs experience and run: anyone with any background in youth development in any sport or activity will tell you the best way to improve is just to do it a lot. That's as true for basketball as it is for speaking a new language, learning to write poetry, playing snooker, mastering golf, or doing strongman; the best way to improve is to live that language, write every day, practice your shots over and over, and hit the gym. Can't learn by just dreaming about it.

Totally agree on Jax, both as a mover and a passer. His co-ordination and fluidity of motion for a 7 footer is truly top tier, and it's part of the reason that I think he has (if things roll right) solid switchability in his projection. Probably not 1-5, but 3-5 even, in many cases. His passing has had tons of great indicators, both passing in motion and from a standstill.

I agree with you completely that part of the concern with him is that he really needs to be paired with someone who can orchestrate an offense properly, so that he can learn those skills. Ingram has obviously made large strides in that direction, and we hope that Zion can be the type of guy who can run either end of the PnR with time, but right now neither Bledsoe nor Lonzo are the kind of guys to maximise Jax and help his progression: could Kira or NAW be that guy? That's the question, really, given our current roster.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanNation View Post
    I'm really not too concerned about his IQ, because they'll naturally gestate over time. We got good leaders and coaches.

The thing I'm worried about is how many years he's away from having an NBA body as a 5. He's getting healthy, consistent regular season minutes and that really 1st real stage of development. You got to remember last year where he would be DNP and the next night play 20 minutes. You never really had an idea who gets minutes with Gentry.

Now... He has a more consistent role as the back up center. You just got to take the good with the bad.

I liken JAX playing basketball to a neophyte pianist reading sheet music.

"What's that note"
    "Oh, that's right, it's D#"
    "Now how do I do to play a D#"
    Yeah, yeah, I remember...I got it"

...and thus the D#...late, but, nevertheless, viola!!!

Meanwhile, the rest of the band has moved ahead three bars down the page.

Until playing basketball becomes an innate skill for JAX, the team will always be half-******. In team sports (or music) the group is only as good as it's weakest link and the sum of it's parts. Ask Anthony Davis or Lebron James how long good players tolerate this dilemma.

In the famous words of Herm Edwards, "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME"!!!
    Last edited by As I See It; 12-28-2020 at 11:59 AM.

Not sure that is his main issue. I think his main issue is that he is really far behind as far as basketball IQ. He still seems lost on the court and appears to rely solely on athleticism.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Not sure that is his main issue. I think his main issue is that he is really far behind as far as basketball IQ. He still seems lost on the court and appears to rely solely on athleticism.
    You could've said that exact same sentence but instead have referenced Zion and it still would have made complete sense. That is because they are 20 year old bigs, and this is what happens with 20 year old bigs. Deandre Ayton was the #1 pick and is in his third year and is just now starting to understand basic defensive positioning. There's a reason that teams run pick and rolls so much, they're extremely hard to cover, even for seasoned vets.

It's pretty easy to see how difficult the jump to the pros is for a big. Bam Adebayo is basically the only big man since 2016 to have had any success in his first two seasons. Everyone else is either below replacement level or right at it

Given the difficulties young bigs face getting acclimated to the league, I don't understand why teams don't run more zone defenses. They are much simpler to execute and I've seen several teams put them to good use, including the Spurs last night who deployed a zone toward the end of the third quarter and almost totally shut down our offense.

They have a weakness, of course, which is the inherent gaps for three point shooters. Last night JJ couldn't make the Spurs pay and they stuck with it. To me that's a simple philosophy that could help Hayes and Williamson. Switch to a zone until they shoot you out of it and don't let anyone into the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    Given the difficulties young bigs face getting acclimated to the league, I don't understand why teams don't run more zone defenses. .
    Because they get annihilated by good passers and good shooters, which are the defining characteristics of all the league's best teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Because they get annihilated by good passers and good shooters, which are the defining characteristics of all the league's best teams.
    And if you want Hayes to grow as a defender, it doesn't make much sense to protect him through zones. Let him go out there a learn from his mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Absolutely agree. He desperately needs experience and run: anyone with any background in youth development in any sport or activity will tell you the best way to improve is just to do it a lot. That's as true for basketball as it is for speaking a new language, learning to write poetry, playing snooker, mastering golf, or doing strongman; the best way to improve is to live that language, write every day, practice your shots over and over, and hit the gym. Can't learn by just dreaming about it.
    But you and I had this 'discussion' last year. You wanted him to stay with the big club...I wanted him sent down to Erie to play meaningful minutes. Now that '19-'20 is over, can you admit that last year was a lost year for JAX...that he basically is the same 'ol JAX we drafted out of Texas? I mean, we all have to admit that Alvin, and his staff, were for the most part, not instructional coaches (apologies to Fred Vinson). Everyone seems to think that Jax still has many deficiencies that can only be fixed by playing the game. So now, it's "Groundhog Day' all over again

I'm looking forward to the day when JAXSON can be relied on for solid, front-line play. Further, I am still confident it will come. But, I am not so sure it will ever happen in New Orleans unless drastic action is taken now.

It's pretty easy to see how difficult the jump to the pros is for a big. Bam Adebayo is basically the only big man since 2016 to have had any success in his first two seasons. Everyone else is either below replacement level or right at it
    Begs the question(which is my personal belief) why you would ever take a project big that doesn’t have clear generational talent and proven development/output ala AD, Zion, or Embiid top 10? Since they have such a high development curve and higher than average bust rate.

I personally wanted either Garland or Hunter then was cool with taking a flyer on Reddish after moving back. Didn’t have any strong feelings around NAW’s pick but not being able to break the rotation is something to keep an eye on if we get 25 games in and he still has mostly “DNP Coaches Decision.”

You could've said that exact same sentence but instead have referenced Zion and it still would have made complete sense. That is because they are 20 year old bigs, and this is what happens with 20 year old bigs. Deandre Ayton was the #1 pick and is in his third year and is just now starting to understand basic defensive positioning. There's a reason that teams run pick and rolls so much, they're extremely hard to cover, even for seasoned vets.
    No, it is not even close to the same with Zion. Zion's basketball IQ is on another planet when compared to Hayes. Hayes is lost on both ends of the court.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    No, it is not even close to the same with Zion. Zion's basketball IQ is on another planet when compared to Hayes. Hayes is lost on both ends of the court.
    Zion's IQ is still basically zero. He's just an otherwordly talent so he doesn't necessarily look as lost offensively, but he is. He's just as lost defensively as Hayes is. The only way for these guys to learn is by giving them minutes. If Stan Van Gundy didn't think Jax was up for the challenge, he wouldn't have given him 17 minutes last night. I can promise you that.

SVG is making far too much money and has far too many years left on his deal to succumb from pressure from management to play Jax. He is playing him because he's earned the minutes in practice and throughout his work in the offseason. I know this because I was told there was pressure to play NAW and, yet, here we are.

So far Jax has done the little things in setting screens, positioning on the defensive glass, and a reducing in his fouling. Let the kid grow.

Zion's IQ is still basically zero.
    Yeah I don't really agree with that at all

I still think Hayes will be a monster, dudes only been playing basketball for a few years but he?s an elite athlete. When he learns the game more and puts on a little weight and strength watchout

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Begs the question(which is my personal belief) why you would ever take a project big that doesn’t have clear generational talent and proven development/output ala AD, Zion, or Embiid top 10? Since they have such a high development curve and higher than average bust rate.

I personally wanted either Garland or Hunter then was cool with taking a flyer on Reddish after moving back. Didn’t have any strong feelings around NAW’s pick but not being able to break the rotation is something to keep an eye on if we get 25 games in and he still has mostly “DNP Coaches Decision.”
    Yea honestly I hated most of the prospects in last years draft. I still don't really think anyone outside of the top 2 are good right now. I think RJ will be good if he's ever in the right situation. Herro benefits from being in the best possible situation he could've gone to, but I think there's still a ton of development left for him to really be considered a starter on a championship team. Regardless, I'd obviously rather Herro than Jax right now.

We can talk all we want about who we should've taken at 8, but outside of those 4, I'm still of the opinion that Hayes has the most upside in that draft. What the Pels FO realizes that, for some reason, the fan base does not is that there's no reason to rush the process. We're not winning anything this year outside of maybe a play-in game, so develop your talent even if it means dropping a game here and there.

Thread Information