Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: December 23rd - New Orleans Pelicans @ Toronto Raptors - 0-0

Pelicans December 23rd - New Orleans Pelicans @ Toronto Raptors - 0-0

So here it is, after a very strange offseason and an even more irregular year, Pelicans basketball returns basically in time for it to be a Christmas gift. This time, we're going up against the Tampa Bay Raptors, so the strangeness continues.

Normally, as we know, I write fairly lengthy game day threads which contain a run down of the other team and how they stack up in various metrics, but since this is game one that's not really possible. Instead, I'm just going to remind everyone of where we were last season.

17th in Offense, 19th in defense, the Pelicans in 2019-20 finished with a 30-42 record. We famously went on a 13 game losing streak around this time last year. We finished top 10 in rebounds, assists, and points per game (largely driven by our pace, second fastest in the league, allowing us to rack up stats) but we were the 2nd worst team in the NBA for turnovers, and the 2nd worst at FT% as well.

Due to injuries, the players on the team who actually took the floor in the most games were Josh Hart followed by Jaxson Hayes, and rookie Zion only managed to play in 24 games. During those 24 games, he put up historically dominant scoring statistics, and flashed his passing and IQ, but the defense was worse than many expected, and is an area most of us are hoping for improvement this year.

We just missed out on the playoffs by a few games. Hopefully this year we can make those games up, and even if we aren't a playoff team, we can make a strong run at it.

Tonight we take on the Raptors, who are going to be good just as they are every year. A win would be great, especially considering that this is basically a road game for them too, but what I'm looking for more than a win is for cohesion, effort, and some semblance of tactics. SVG has said he's only planning on playing 8 or 9 guys, which is a vast difference from Gentry's old 12 man minimum, and hopefully will allow for some more consistent play and fewer dodgy lineups. We'll see how that goes.

Fingers crossed: let's kick the season off well!
    Basketball.

Eight or nine guys in the opener? Zion, BI, Adams, Lonzo, Bledsoe, Hart, Hayes and Reddick is eight and Melli makes nine. So no Lewis or NAW?

Quote Originally Posted by Mount Zion View Post
    Eight or nine guys in the opener? Zion, BI, Adams, Lonzo, Bledsoe, Hart, Hayes and Reddick is eight and Melli makes nine. So no Lewis or NAW?
    I believe SVG was just talking about the rotation in general as being planned for 8 or 9, so yep I imagine the guys you listed will be the guys, at least to start with.

Pelicans

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I believe SVG was just talking about the rotation in general as being planned for 8 or 9, so yep I imagine the guys you listed will be the guys, at least to start with.
    He will 11 deep if we play D like we supposed to...see Lakers/Clippers game last night. You can't be physical and not need more in rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by sterlr View Post
    He will 11 deep if we play D like we supposed to...see Lakers/Clippers game last night. You can't be physical and not need more in rotation.
    Most teams do not go 11 deep, regardless of their strategy. It was anomalous for Gentry to have us playing 11, 12, 13 guys every single game: the majority of teams don't do that. 10 is the upper norm.

Pretty excited. I think we'll have good lonzo game.

I think Toronto is an eastern conf playoff team, but I think they take a step back this year. Baynes, Bembry, and Len is a step back from Gasol and especially Ibaka. Boucher still looks like he weighs 200.

They had a chance to win the opener last year despite most thinking it would easily be a Toronto W, and that L can be traced to Gentry treating the game like preseason game #6.

You never know how things willl look with a new coach, new system, and little time to learn it. But from a talent perspective alone Pelicans should at least be there at the end.

It'll probably come down to containing Lowry, Vanvleet, and Siakam. BI actually did a good job on Middleton last preseason game contesting despite what it looked like after the 1st Q. He just needs to realize when a player like that gets cooking, there is no 1 on 1 defense to stop them. Just dont get frustrated and start reaching and fouling and go back at them on the other end. Same for Siakam who isnt anywhere near the same level scorer as Middleton but has size. I think they'll hide Zion on Anunoby.

Basketball Guru
    im just glad that we are starting the season off healthy....

Get the popcorn out!

Hoping we look great especially Zion & Adams since I have both in fantasy

Awwwwwwww yeah!
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Nice to see David Wesley on the pregame show. Daniels grew on me last year but David and Joel had such great repour.

Time for Pelicans basketball

Taking Pelicans +5

Aa in I'm doing what I do, gambling.

Not a big fan of this shot profile so far. Almost entirely jumpers, including from guys like Bledsoe who aren't great at them. Only one shot in the paint, and it was an awkward postup from Adams.

Very little communication on switches.

Love the offensive glass crashing going on here

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Zion underneath, Ingram midrange, and Lonzo the 3. This seems like each person's favorite spot. I hope they can dominate at each.

How that wasn't a reach, not sure.

OG Anunoby is a great defender, and part of being a great defender in the NBA is mastering the art of blatantly fouling and then looking at the ref with your hands up like ''I didn't do anything!''

Bledsoe's decision making on both ends has been pretty rough so far

Pelicans looking like a team that has been playing a whole week together, but they are playing tough. I hope they can get hot.

Adams' footwork there was pretty as a picture

Man we just had Zion posted up on FVV and didn't get him the ball.

That's like the third drive to the rim this game that hasn't resulted in a whistle despite an obvious foul

Thread Information