Pelicans Report

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade thread for all the insane trades y?all got

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    I think it would make sense for the Pels to shop Willy. I know we're playing better since he entered the rotation, and he's a pretty solid backup big, but he's not a long term piece on this roster. He's likely not going to be on the roster next season. If you could pick up a few seconds for him, shouldn't you? Jax needs to get back in the rotation at some point, even if it's not conducive to winning.

Taj Gibson and Detroit's 2nd from the Knicks would be the ideal trade in this scenario

this is fan talk....i bet zion and ingram just may say different.......im going to assume zion and ingram want to make the playoffs and are not worrying about jax not playing or the upcoming draft..

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    I think it would make sense for the Pels to shop Willy. I know we're playing better since he entered the rotation, and he's a pretty solid backup big, but he's not a long term piece on this roster. He's likely not going to be on the roster next season. If you could pick up a few seconds for him, shouldn't you? Jax needs to get back in the rotation at some point, even if it's not conducive to winning.

Taj Gibson and Detroit's 2nd from the Knicks would be the ideal trade in this scenario
    Doubt Willy has done enough to warrant another team trying to acquire him. He is young and a cheap player. Also, that trade sends the Pels into the luxury tax, so does not make sense.

You know who this team could really really really use? Matisse Thybulle. I know the Sixers love him so it would be extremely hard to get him unless you wanted to overpay by a lot, but he would be so good in a lot of ways.

Offensively he's not very good at all, solid passer and stuff but the efficiency is in the dirt (48.1%TS this year, down from 53.9%TS last year), but he's 6'5 with a 7'0 wingspan and a lot of physical strength and he just defends his ****** off.

So far this year:

+4.2 DBPM (would be #1 in the league but he doesn't qualify in minutes)
    -6.4 point differential (players he guards shoot 6.4% worse than their averages)
    105 defensive rating (19th in the NBA, just behind Myles Turner)
    4.2%STL (would be #1 in the league if not for minutes)
    4.2%BLK (17th in the league, highest for a non-big man)

Dude is just special special special defensively. Would love to be able to just put him on the guards that continually annihilate us and let him do some Jrue style work on them. Of course, our team defense would still need to improve but we'd at least have A Guy who could be put on The Guy for the other team and seriously make them uncomfortable.

My concern is that you would have to keep his minutes bolted to at least two other players who can really make offense happen cause otherwise he'd be a real problem on that end.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

My concern is that you would have to keep his minutes bolted to at least two other players who can really make offense happen cause otherwise he'd be a real problem on that end.
    I think that would be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I think that would be the case.
    I think it would be doable, depending on what else we're doing/have planned. If all we did was trade, say, Lonzo for Thybulle, I'm not really sure how much that would help us overall but if we traded Lonzo for Thybulle and then Bledsoe for something of reasonable offensive threat (not like, a star or anything just a solid roleplayer) and slid Kira up into major minutes, with JJ bouncing back on offense, you could pretty much play Thybulle alongside at least 2 of Kira/Redick/Ingram/Zion, which would do the job reasonably well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mount Zion View Post
    Wizards will never do that deal. a Lowry rental is bad value for them. They'd rather have Ball/Bledsoe come their way

You know who this team could really really really use? Matisse Thybulle. I know the Sixers love him so it would be extremely hard to get him unless you wanted to overpay by a lot, but he would be so good in a lot of ways.

Offensively he's not very good at all, solid passer and stuff but the efficiency is in the dirt (48.1%TS this year, down from 53.9%TS last year), but he's 6'5 with a 7'0 wingspan and a lot of physical strength and he just defends his ****** off.

So far this year:

+4.2 DBPM (would be #1 in the league but he doesn't qualify in minutes)
    -6.4 point differential (players he guards shoot 6.4% worse than their averages)
    105 defensive rating (19th in the NBA, just behind Myles Turner)
    4.2%STL (would be #1 in the league if not for minutes)
    4.2%BLK (17th in the league, highest for a non-big man)

Dude is just special special special defensively. Would love to be able to just put him on the guards that continually annihilate us and let him do some Jrue style work on them. Of course, our team defense would still need to improve but we'd at least have A Guy who could be put on The Guy for the other team and seriously make them uncomfortable.

Thybs would be lovely. But I think Philly realises his value

Quote Originally Posted by Mount Zion View Post
    Raptors would never do that. Lowry is still really good and will almost certainly resign, why would they move him for 2 guys that they're going to need to pay in the offseason. Especially when one of them thinks he's a PG and they just paid VanVleet and drafted Flynn, and whose real position as a wing is cluttered by guys like Anunoby who are just better?

Then you've got us giving up 3 firsties in this deal which isn't the end of the world but why are 2 of them our own firsts? Those should be last resort, moving the Bucks/Lakers picks first is always the better option.

Also not sure why Cleveland does it; sure they get off Drummond's deal before RFA hits, but they already have a bunch of developing guards they're trying to get minutes at, Bledsoe does them no good there and it's not like they're getting picks to compensate for it.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Thybs would be lovely. But I think Philly realises his value
    Yeah, like I say it would be hard to get him unless you were willing to overpay.

That said, they're playing him under 18mpg, which is even less than last year, and despite his defensive skill I think they might be having trouble working out a way to get him minutes with his offensive struggles.

Plus, if there's a team I'm willing to hope can improve his shooting at least a little, it's here. We have a track record.

Friendly reminder that Lavine has actually been totally fine on defense this year. Not a superstar or anything but the idea of him of a turnstile on defense is outdated at this point, he's perfectly okay on D.

Edit: I also just want to praise that mentality of ''you have to figure out you can't just blame other people. You have to look at yourself and figure out what you have to do better to help.''

That's so important. Even if it's true, I never want a big name player who spends all their time blaming their team mates or blaming their coach or whatever, at least not when they're so young (Lavine is 25). Obviously things are a bit different if you're 28 and you're about to hit that Peak Winning Time of your career and there's been nothing put around you and you're doomed to lose forever, but if you're 25 and on a young team, self-improvement should always be the first stop.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 02-21-2021 at 05:19 AM.

Friendly reminder that Lavine has actually been totally fine on defense this year. Not a superstar or anything but the idea of him of a turnstile on defense is outdated at this point, he's perfectly okay on D.
    Lavine and Thybuille are great targets just can't see either of them being traded

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    Lavine and Thybuille are great targets just can't see either of them being traded
    The price for Lavine would be pretty damn high, he's been a top 25 player this year without too much debate imo. Been better than Beal.

Thybulle's price would be smaller in terms of just the amount of assets, but they would have to be quite specific assets which increases the difficulty.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    we go on about Beal and Lavine, but I was wondering about something.... do you think a package could be put together that might tempt Portland to part with McCollum? Something within reason, of course....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    we go on about Beal and Lavine, but I was wondering about something.... do you think a package could be put together that might tempt Portland to part with McCollum? Something within reason, of course....
    I mean, he might be more acquirable in the sense that he's less good than Beal or Lavine, so there's that.

This team proved (vs Boston) that WHEN THEY WANT TO... they can defend. The problem is they don't seem to WANT TO for 48 minutes. Or 20 minutes for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    This team proved (vs Boston) that WHEN THEY WANT TO... they can defend. The problem is they don't seem to WANT TO for 48 minutes. Or 20 minutes for that matter.
    This is the insane trade thread, not the ranting fred

But also, ain't no CP3s for Boston and they are a heavy iso ball team. Easier to defend because they won't exploit nor create much confusion. They all just try to demoralize you.

So other than that, I did like that they were more physical and disciplined on their feet. Hart took the Tatum cover personal and made him continue the innefficent shooting with 42% from the field. Kimba and JB were woeful.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    But also, ain't no CP3s for Boston
    Well there's only one of them in the world. The Pels played Phoenix a couple weeks or so ago and they had way more success defending CP3 than they did the other night. That was one of the games that they actually wanted to play defense.

I still can't understand why other teams shoot so well against the pelicans its just mind-boggling. Teams get those same shots against other opponents and shoot 35% from three. Against the pels they shoot 55%. Head scratching.

Well there's only one of them in the world. The Pels played Phoenix a couple weeks or so ago and they had way more success defending CP3 than they did the other night. That was one of the games that they actually wanted to play defense.

I still can't understand why other teams shoot so well against the pelicans its just mind-boggling. Teams get those same shots against other opponents and shoot 35% from three. Against the pels they shoot 55%. Head scratching.
    There is only one CP3, but many teams that replicate what he does by moving the ball. Those are the teams that give the Pelicans problems is the point.

You can also see they made an adjustment to not over help. Look at that last Tatum floater. Both Zion and Lonzo could have slid over and helped but they both refused to leave their area beyond a certain point. Which allowed Tatum a clear look at that floater over Hart.

Lonzo made the right choice, but I would have rathered Zion help and force Tatum to pass it back to Theis. But overall not mad at the defense they played there. I'd rather they not over help more often.
    Last edited by luckyman; 02-22-2021 at 10:22 AM.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    I mean, he might be more acquirable in the sense that he's less good than Beal or Lavine, so there's that.
    this might not be a popular opinion,and although Lavine would be my first choice, I think McCollum might be a better fit here than Beal....

What about Bledsoe and JJ for Kyle Lowry? Lowry is an expiring and I think he?d give you more than what Bled is giving you, while also setting a better example for Kira. He?s a way better fit than Bled.

(I know the salaries don?t line up perfectly. Just keeping it simple for arguments sake)

I?d give up anything we have besides Zion or Ingram to land Lavine. I?d actually be willing to give up more for Lavine than Beal.

And supposedly the bulls want lonzo, it could work

Absolutely 0% chance of that happening, should have threw in Tatum too

Thread Information