Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade thread for all the insane trades y?all got

The only roster move I want is two more 3s and a vet 4. Cut the guards down by 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    The only roster move I want is two more 3s and a vet 4. Cut the guards down by 2.
    It's so obvious how much this team could benefit for a pure point or 2

But the Pels brass' obsession with collecting all the combo guards in the league continues

Infuriating

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    It's so obvious how much this team could benefit for a pure point or 2

But the Pels brass' obsession with collecting all the combo guards in the league continues

Infuriating
    In fairness, I think Kira is a point guard, rather than a combo, so we do have one available that should be getting 20 minutes a night. Really we just need one other guy.

Move Lonzo, JJ, Melli, and potentially some picks. There's not a huge amount out there available for that price but almost anything would be better than what we have right now, and the opportunities added for guys like Kira have their own value.
    Basketball.

If we trade Lonzo I hope it?s for pics and an expiring contract. Don?t want some vet on a 3 year deal who will be past his prime when we?re ready to make a run. Clear cap space, get pics, draft players who fit the mold and sign players who fit the timeline

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    In fairness, I think Kira is a point guard, rather than a combo, so we do have one available that should be getting 20 minutes a night. Really we just need one other guy.
    Agreed that Kira looks quite like a pure point which is good

And NAW is a combo guard, and I'm pretty happy with that pick

But this free agency, we either target shooters or guys who can run the point

No more mish mash of the both.

Agreed that Kira looks quite like a pure point which is good

And NAW is a combo guard, and I'm pretty happy with that pick

But this free agency, we either target shooters or guys who can run the point

No more mish mash of the both.
    Duncan Robinson or Duncan Robinson or Duncan Robinson. (I think shooting is the bigger need)

On the other hand... If the Clippers would be interested in a trade with Luke Kennard and Lonzo as the headliners, let's.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Duncan Robinson or Duncan Robinson or Duncan Robinson. (I think shooting is the bigger need)

On the other hand... If the Clippers would be interested in a trade with Luke Kennard and Lonzo as the headliners, let's.
    Robinson is probably going to get Joe Harris type money from Miami

I don't think we'd even have enough cap space to sign him

Buddy Hield for JJ and Lonzo is intriguing to me

We get a lights out shooter (not much else), Sac Town gets 2 expirings and can move Haliburton to start with Fox

And we reunite ourselves with a top 10 pick, which is pretty romantic

Think Buddy could do really well being the third banana to Zion and Ingram

Plus we still save all of our warchest of assets
    Last edited by AusPel; 01-20-2021 at 10:42 PM.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar

Move Lonzo, JJ, Melli, and potentially some picks. There's not a huge amount out there available for that price but almost anything would be better than what we have right now, and the opportunities added for guys like Kira have their own value.
    Melli would not make an NBA roster. He is absolute garbage. I can't see anyone wanting that dead weight. Cut would be most likely.

We get a lights out shooter (not much else), Sac Town gets 2 expirings and can move Haliburton to start with Fox

I like....I like a lot.

Bear in mind though, that Miami has a ton of expiring contracts and Club Options this year. At Guard, I think Robinson and Nunn are RFA's and Dragic is a Club Option at 18MM as is Bradley at 5.35MM. With Herro starting at the 2, they don't need everyone.
    Last edited by As I See It; 01-20-2021 at 10:47 PM.

I like....I like a lot.

Bear in mind though, that Miami has a ton of expiring contracts and Club Options this year. At Guard, I think Robinson and Nunn are RFA's and Dragic is a Club Option at 18MM as is Bradley at 5.35MM.
    Yes I know Miami has tons of cap space

Think Buddy could do really well being the third banana to Zion and Ingram

Plus we still save all of our warchest of assets
    That's an interesting thing in one respect (it does help the shooting and while Buddy's efficiency is down a bit this year, it's not horrible or anything, and the volume is insane) but Buddy's contract really sours me. He's on $20m+ a year until like 2024, right?

That's an interesting thing in one respect (it does help the shooting and while Buddy's efficiency is down a bit this year, it's not horrible or anything, and the volume is insane) but Buddy's contract really sours me. He's on $20m+ a year until like 2024, right?
    Declining contract

24 this year then

It's bascially Joe Harris money

Plus Buddy has never played with two guys of the gravity of Zion and BI

The amount of open looks he'd get is insane

Declining contract

24 this year then

It's bascially Joe Harris money

Plus Buddy has never played with two guys of the gravity of Zion and BI

The amount of open looks he'd get is insane
    Ah yeah, I didn't realise it was declining. For some reason I had it in my head that he ended up on like $25m by the end of the deal. That makes it a lot more interesting.

It doesn't solve the defense problems whatsoever, but Buddy is a legitimately incredible shooter and he's proven that over multiple seasons at this point. Would definitely be interesting to see his shooting next to Zion and Ingram.

Just for reference for anyone who hasn't looked at the numbers for a while, here's Buddy's 3pt stats every year of his career:

2016-17: 148/379 (39.1%) - 4.6 attempts per game
    2017-18: 176/408 (43.1%) - 5.1 attempts per game
    2018-19: 276/651 (42.7%) - 7.9 attempts per game
    2019-20: 271/688 (39.4%) - 9.6 attempts per game
    2020-21: 54/147 (36.7%) - 10.5 attempts per game [so far]

Career: 927/2273 (40.8%) in only 330 games.

There have been 17 seasons in NBA history where a player has shot at least 39% on over 600 3PAs. Only 3 players have done it more than once.

- Buddy (2x)
    - Klay (2x)
    - Steph (6x)

The other guys who have done it once: Lillard, Duncan Robinson, Dennis Scott, Paul George, Kemba Walker, JJ Redick, Ray Allen.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Man, is there anyway we can get Lou Williams?
    Wouldn't want him. There are too many stories about him being a terrible teammate that players do not like to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Wouldn't want him. There are too many stories about him being a terrible teammate that players do not like to play with.
    He's also 34 years old. He'd be a stopgap anyway. At least someone like Buddy is 28, and therefore likely has another good 3 or 4 years in him.

Let's get rid of them both......

Knicks Get
    Eric Bledsoe
    Lou Williams
    Daniel Oturu

Clippers Get
    Lonzo Ball
    Kevin Knox ll

Pelicans Get
    Frank Ntilikina
    Luke Kennard
    Mfioundu Kabengele

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y5fy3ryg
    Would love Kennard. Knicks would likely have to add a couple of 2nd rounders along the way though. Our PG position would be very thin, but hopefully we could strengthen that in the offseason.

He's also 34 years old. He'd be a stopgap anyway. At least someone like Buddy is 28, and therefore likely has another good 3 or 4 years in him.
    Buddy would be a nice fit if the Pels were not concerned about his future years' salaries.

Kennard is good and fun and again, can shoot. Which is always nice. He's on a pretty big deal right now though, about $15m a year until 2024 then with a team option after that. Good, in a sense, because if you got him you have him for a while and he's not that old and it's not crazy money per year, but bad cause those same thinsg increase the trade cost.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Buddy would be a nice fit if the Pels were not concerned about his future years' salaries.
    You have to spend the money somewhere and we ain't signing a 20 mil guy into cap space.

Our only way to build a team is through trades and the draft

Ok and exceptions too

I'm pretty sure Buddy is preferable to Kennard, but I could be wrong
    Last edited by AusPel; 01-21-2021 at 12:40 AM.

You have to spend the money somewhere and we ain't signing a 20 mil guy into cap space.

Ok and exceptions too

Depends. Buddy is obviously the better shooter. Kennard is younger though, and cheaper, and his contract has a team option on it which is always attractive.

Comparing last year (for larger sample):

2pt percentage: Kennard (49.1%) beat Buddy (47.9%)
    TS%: Kennard (58.9%) beat Buddy (56.6%)
    AST%: Kennard (19.2%) beat Buddy (15.5%)
    TOV%: Kennard (10.3%) beat Buddy (12.3%)
    STL%: Buddy (1.4%) beat Kennard (0.6%)
    BLK%: Buddy (0.7%) beat Kennard (0.5%)
    BPM: Buddy (+1.4) beat Kennard (-0.3)

So far this season, Kennard has a higher BLK% and BPM as well, and his TS% so far is 66.2% which is much higher than Buddy's 52.5%. Buddy's having a real real real slump from 2pt range so far this year (sub-40%) so a lot of those stats for him have taken a massive hit over the first 14 games.

So far this season, Buddy has been a 36.7% 3pt shooter on 11.3 attempts per 36: Kennard has been a 50.0% 3pt shooter on about half that volume, around 5.5 attempts per game. They're both elite FT shooters: Buddy at 85%, Kennard at 90% so far this year.

I would still call Buddy the better shooter despite the lowered raw percentage, because his multiple years of super high volume evidence telling me it's definitely real and he could easily have a bounce back, but Kennard does have things in his favour, such as his age, contract, and some minor auxiliary stuff like passing.

The one thing that makes me think we would never do a Buddy deal is how much Griff has talked about valuing high quality people. Not saying Buddy isn't a good person, he might be, but all the drama and mess that surrounded his contract stuff with the Kings a while ago, combined with his unknown-age thing, makes me think that would put Griff off.

Ok and exceptions too

Depends on what the Pels' plans are for their future cap. They are looking several years down the road with respect to cap commitments. Kennard is cheaper and has an option, so more flexibility. He is also almost 4 years younger. However, I would suspect Buddy would be easier to acquire.

Yeah NAW and Kira has made Bledsoe and Lonzo expendable. Need to clear more minutes for those 2 and allow them to develop, because their potential looks alot better than Zo and Bledsoe IMO.

Plus Didi should be coming next year. We can use 2 GOOD wing shooters...we can't shoot worth a damm.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    At this point, anyone that can play basketball and make a competent play is better than Zo and Bledsoe. Bledsoe has been playing decent but Zo is downright awful.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    anyone care to structure a legit trade that would center around Ball to the Mav's and Seth Curry to us? Picks? Other players? I feel Curry could fit in here pretty nicely....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    anyone care to structure a legit trade that would center around Ball to the Mav's and Seth Curry to us? Picks? Other players? I feel Curry could fit in here pretty nicely....
    That trade would be really hard to make. Some would say impossible
    @mcnamara247

Thread Information