Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: With most of the big name 2021 FA class signed, Lonzo will surely test the market

Lonzo is clearly willing to put in the work. It shows with his continued improve year after year.

He is the best perimeter defender we have. Period.

His shot has definitely improved from 3 and seeing him get down low is very promising.

The last two games his ball management has being great as well. Limiting turnovers and moving the ball well.

Name a FA you can see us picking up to fill in that role. Will someone ?better? than Zo cost any less? No, it?s going to cost a hell of a lot more! I think it?s wishful thinking that we can dump Zo and expect to improve at the position. We need cap space for Hart, Zo, and eventually Zion who will command a Max deal if we can keep him from moving to a lager market team.

Speaking of larger market team..... people forget the Pelicans constant struggles in FA. Very few ?star? players are willing to commit to a ?small market team? like ours long term. So expecting to just wisp Zo away for an improvement that fits our budget is wishful thinking IMO.

Let?s all hope he continues to improve. Pay him and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by HartOfaPelican View Post
    Lonzo is clearly willing to put in the work. It shows with his continued improve year after year.

He is the best perimeter defender we have. Period.

His shot has definitely improved from 3 and seeing him get down low is very promising.

The last two games his ball management has being great as well. Limiting turnovers and moving the ball well.

Name a FA you can see us picking up to fill in that role. Will someone ?better? than Zo cost any less? No, it?s going to cost a hell of a lot more! I think it?s wishful thinking that we can dump Zo and expect to improve at the position. We need cap space for Hart, Zo, and eventually Zion who will command a Max deal if we can keep him from moving to a lager market team.

Speaking of larger market team..... people forget the Pelicans constant struggles in FA. Very few ?star? players are willing to commit to a ?small market team? like ours long term. So expecting to just wisp Zo away for an improvement that fits our budget is wishful thinking IMO.

Let?s all hope he continues to improve. Pay him and move on.
    That much is never in doubt which is why I just lean towards paying him. Like our other boys though, his FT percentage needs to improve and he has to be more consistent.

He's a rhythm guy. He hasn't hit his strides yet. I think his percentage has been hurt early on because of all the bailout shots he takes in the half court. I expect it to level out as the team becomes more comfortable in the half court sets.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    That much is never in doubt which is why I just lean towards paying him. Like our other boys though, his FT percentage needs to improve and he has to be more consistent.
    There is ZERO excuse that any professional basketball player that is not a center should shoot 80% from the FT like. End of story.

I’ve always thought this way.

Quote Originally Posted by HartOfaPelican View Post
    There is ZERO excuse that any professional basketball player that is not a center should shoot 80% from the FT like. End of story.

I’ve always thought this way.
    I would say anything below 72-75% for a non-center would be unacceptable. Zion and Lonzo need to step it up. Zion draws a lot of fouls and needs to make teams pay for it.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    If Zion gets his average that high he’s an automatic 30ppg player. And that’s with his game as raw and incomplete as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I would say anything below 72-75% for a non-center would be unacceptable. Zion and Lonzo need to step it up. Zion draws a lot of fouls and needs to make teams pay for it.
    Shooting is much more about the legs than it is, the arms. Right now, Zion's face up game (including his free throw shooting) is all arms (upper body). That's why his misses are so miserable.

Thread Information