Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Buddy return???

Question Buddy return???

So I?ve seen a couple of website pages talk about the availability of Buddy Hield. The articles suggest that Sacramento is interested in draft compensation. I was wondering if a future first round pick and Bledsoe could sway the Kings to make a deal? Would Buddy?s contract work under our current cap situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Butters View Post
    So I?ve seen a couple of website pages talk about the availability of Buddy Hield. The articles suggest that Sacramento is interested in draft compensation. I was wondering if a future first round pick and Bledsoe could sway the Kings to make a deal? Would Buddy?s contract work under our current cap situation?
    Bledsoe and a one? I'll pass.

If we're going to trade Bledsoe, I'd only do it for an elite wing defender. Pass on Buddy.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Nah. We need a guy who can guard players 6’6” to 6’10” on the perimeter. Those aren’t common who can do it well. But we also need another guy who can give us quality minutes doing similar to what Steven Adams is expected to do but off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Nah. We need a guy who can guard players 6’6” to 6’10” on the perimeter. Those aren’t common who can do it well. But we also need another guy who can give us quality minutes doing similar to what Steven Adams is expected to do but off the bench.
    You think Ariza is feasible?
    Last edited by Funcrusher; 12-05-2020 at 02:42 AM.

Remember, with any trade or acquisition, we have to send out as much money (or more) as we take back. Because of the Adams trade, we are right up against the lux tax and we aren't going over this year for a fringe playoff team. So Bledsoe for Buddy ain't happening because that puts us over the tax. If the Magic called and wanted to give us Gordon for Lonzo....not happening because of the tax.

This is yet another example of opportunity cost...which was said to be too nerdy of a thing to bring up with the Adams debate, but here are real life examples of the limitations now on Griffin as a result
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Remember, with any trade or acquisition, we have to send out as much money (or more) as we take back. Because of the Adams trade, we are right up against the lux tax and we aren't going over this year for a fringe playoff team. So Bledsoe for Buddy ain't happening because that puts us over the tax. If the Magic called and wanted to give us Gordon for Lonzo....not happening because of the tax.

This is yet another example of opportunity cost...which was aid to be too nerdy of a thing to bring up with the Adams debate, but here are real life examples of the limitations now on Griffin as a result
    If we didn't get Adams we'd most likely still have Hill and probably used the full MLE and BAE, which is up around 22 mil in salary, about 8 mil under the tax line. And you need Lonzo plus ~7 mil to get Gordon.

Would be a lot more flexibility though

I don't know if I even like Gordon that much anyway. Doesn't really space the floor, is kind of an old school tweener
    Last edited by AusPel; 12-05-2020 at 07:13 AM.

Not the point. Example of a player. And in your example, Hill can be included in the trade too.

Just pointing out that when people make their fake trades and FA acquisitions when a player gets cut, you have to always keep in mind that we simply can not add salary. So, construct away but you will start to see how limited you are, especially if you want to make this team better. If you want to make it worse and get a draft pick and an expiring for JJ or Lonzo it is not as hard. But making it better....its gonna be pretty tough to construct a lot of those trades

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    You could do Bledsoe and Lonzo for Hield and have a few million in space left over.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Not the point. Example of a player. And in your example, Hill can be included in the trade too.

Just pointing out that when people make their fake trades and FA acquisitions when a player gets cut, you have to always keep in mind that we simply can not add salary. So, construct away but you will start to see how limited you are, especially if you want to make this team better. If you want to make it worse and get a draft pick and an expiring for JJ or Lonzo it is not as hard. But making it better....its gonna be pretty tough to construct a lot of those trades
    I was sort of implying that to get anyone really good (better than Gordon), we might not have had space anyway. But probably would have considering you can throw in the minimum guys too.

There's always the possibility of adding in Redick's nice sized salary, depending on what his free agency plans are. Hoping he'll re-sign at a discount, perhaps. Who knows.

Couple of teams could absorb Lonzo without giving back salary ie Knicks.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    You could do Bledsoe and Lonzo for Hield and have a few million in space left over.
    But why would you want to do that
    Last edited by AusPel; 12-05-2020 at 09:46 AM.

Opportunity cost doesn’t matter in this scenario regardless. We wouldn’t trade for a fringe guy like Buddy or Aaron Gordon. Sit back and wait for the next star to be disgruntled. At that point we’ll move JJ for nothing to create cap flexibility.

They’re not trying to add another pseudo-starter to take minutes from the young guys. It’s why the MLE never really mattered unless it was going to be used for a big in a situation where we couldn’t get Adams

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post

But why would you want to do that
    You probably wouldn't, unless you have some combination: Feeling Lonzo isn't a longterm piece and don't like other offers, are high on Hield, aren't high on Bledsoe for whatever reasons. More of post about possibility rather recommendation, but I can see a scenario where it might be looked as a positive.

You could do Hield for Lonzo and Redick and we'd still have a tiny $88k in cap left according to this:

https://tradenba.com/trades/LBEWk-dyp

I don't hate it if you don't love Lonzo.

I'd send Lonzo to Bulls for Markkanen straight up

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    I'm in on this one.

Bulls have got plenty of combo guards

I'm assuming they'll look for a true point

Lonzo for Ariza & a 1st? Too little value for Zo or too much?

why would you want Buddy when crummy Sacramento benched him recognizing that while hitting 3's, they were losing games, as he offers little else

Buddy actually fits the mold of what I'd like to see in the Pels shooting guard spot--a relatively low-use shooter who spreads the floor and can attack close outs with some efficiency. Careerwise he's a 44% shooter--41% from the arc--and 86% from the line on about 13 attempts a game. A pretty close profile to what we need. But he's pricey at $20 million+ over the next four years and maybe a little older than you would like while being no great shakes on defense. All in all I'd pass even if we could make the salaries work. I'm content to see if Lonzo or NAW can emerge at that position this year and make a decision based on their performance about the longterm...

Buddy return???

In my 2k league i traded Ball for Monk and a 1st from Charlotte. Then I traded that first and Redick and Melli to the bulls for Lavine. Fun team!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sleeper; 12-06-2020 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    In my 2k league i traded Ball for Monk and a 1st from Charlotte. Then I traded that first and Reddick to the bulls for Lavine. Fun team!

*Redick

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    In my 2k league i traded Ball for Monk and a 1st from Charlotte. Then I traded that first and Redick and Melli to the bulls for Lavine. Fun team!

In the real world, if it's a '21 First Rounder from Charlotte, I'd stop after the first trade (we could always get value for JJ at trade deadline). It could likely mean we would have two lottery picks next year (just being a realist) in an absolutely loaded draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    Would put us in the same situation of having to make a decision on a large extension while still having a lot of questions about the player.

My favorite Lonzo trade would be:

Clippers get: Lonzo
    Celtics get: Lou Williams (into part of their TPE)
    Pels get: Semi Ojeleye, Mfiondu Kabengele, Pistons future 2nd rounder (from LA), Celtics 2021 first

Ojeleye can help a bit as a backup forward, Kabengele is a lotto ticket that fits if he develops. Two more picks and the interesting part of this trade is that you are now about 7 million away from the tax line, so if guys come available after cuts or an overseas guy looks good, etc you can go get him with a big chunk of the MLE. You also have created a TPE that lasts a year and/or you can make another trade and actually take more salary back without worrying about the tax

I don't think I'm doing that Boston trade. If you said it was Grant Williams, I'd be in. Otherwise, I think I'd rather hold Zo, even if it means potentially losing him for less later on. I think there's more scenarios in which his trade value increases this season than decreases, so I'll roll that dice if the alternative is basically a mid 20's pick and some cap flexibility.

Thread Information