Pelicans Report

Thread: Maledon and Poku looked good for OKC

Maledon and Poku looked good for OKC

This is good news for us. We don't want OKC getting Cade

I'm just being honest, I watched most of the game and I thought Poku looked hilariously bad. The shooting was good but everything else was really, really bad

Here's some examples. If his 3 wasn't falling, it would've been an ugly night.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    I'm just being honest, I watched most of the game and I thought Poku looked hilariously bad. The shooting was good but everything else was really, really bad
    Firstly, he was hitting pullup bombs from comfortable distance as a 7 footer who is one of the youngest in the class, and that's his biggest swing skill. So it's a big indicator.

Secondly, several of his passes were dynamite. He had a few awful turnovers as well, which is because he's again one of the youngest in the class and needs to mature as a decision maker somewhat, but the flashes were there.

Yeah the lows were low but the highs were ridiculously high. For a 7 footer who 85% of NBA fans have literally never seen play more than 10 seconds of basketball, it was a good opening display of why the ceiling is so high on him, even if the floor was also evident at times.
    Basketball.

Ehhhh I just don't know about the ceiling. Defensively, I'm not sure who he ever guards. With his length, he'll have the ability to make a major impact if he has a high defensive IQ, but from what I've read from his old manager, etc., that doesn't seem to be the case.

His offensive game could be pretty nice, but I'm not sure he has the strength or quickness to ever make a major impact on ball. His drives are so, so bad right now because he has no strength and he has little to no vertical.

I still think we're a little blinded by 7 footers who can shoot.

I know I'll get crushed for this on here though because people love them some Poku

Maledon had the best point guard first rookie preseason game of the lot so far....whatever that might mean.

I mentioned him as someone the Pelicans should target at 24 if they didn't get Kira first.

You can tell Tony Parker has been in his ear.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

.........................He had a few awful turnovers as well, which is because he's again one of the youngest in the class and needs to mature as a decision maker somewhat, but the flashes were there.

Yeah the lows were low but the highs were ridiculously high. For a 7 footer who 85% of NBA fans have literally never seen play more than 10 seconds of basketball, it was a good opening display of why the ceiling is so high on him, even if the floor was also evident at times.

Are you talking about POKU OR JAXSON?

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Ehhhh I just don't know about the ceiling. Defensively, I'm not sure who he ever guards. With his length, he'll have the ability to make a major impact if he has a high defensive IQ, but from what I've read from his old manager, etc., that doesn't seem to be the case.

His offensive game could be pretty nice, but I'm not sure he has the strength or quickness to ever make a major impact on ball. His drives are so, so bad right now because he has no strength and he has little to no vertical.

I still think we're a little blinded by 7 footers who can shoot.

I know I'll get crushed for this on here though because people love them some Poku
    He has very very good defensive instincts but shaky fundamentals and is obviously about 30lbs too light to guard other guys his height right now. Obviously time will tell how much weight he can comfortably add, and how much his fundamental issues can be ironed out. The vast majority of game footage we have of him is from when he was 17, so it's hard to say (Especially when all we've seen is one pre-season game) exactly where he is on that today.

Being a 7 footer who can shoot has value, believe it or not. Especially if you can shoot off movement and on pullups.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Maledon had the best point guard first rookie preseason game of the lot so far....whatever that might mean.

I mentioned him as someone the Pelicans should target at 24 if they didn't get Kira first.

You can tell Tony Parker has been in his ear.
    Tell every Thunder player to hide their wives.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Being a 7 footer who can shoot has value, believe it or not. Especially if you can shoot off movement and on pullups.
    Lol yea no doubt

Thread Information