Pelicans Report

Thread: Lebron Signs Extension

NBA Lebron Signs Extension

Not good for our draft picks..

Although, a bit surprised that he did not wait to see if he needed to take a lesser amount to bring in another star.

Wonder if this entices AD to sign a longer contract now as many expected him to just sign a 1+1 to match Lebron's contract.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post

Although, a bit surprised that he did not wait to see if he needed to take a lesser amount to bring in another star.

Wonder if this entices AD to sign a longer contract now as many expected him to just sign a 1+1 to match Lebron's contract.
    I'm not worried; see Drew Brees.

All it takes is one AD injury. Lebron is Lebron, but he’ll also be 39 in the final year of that deal

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I'm not worried; see Drew Brees.
    This. Lebron will be a Laker as long as he's playing. Father time is undefeated, though.

It all depends on his health and whether he hits that decline. I’d bank on LeBron to carry on being a top player (and a healthy one), but this could easily go very south if he and/or AD experience injury issues. We can only control what we can control.

I can tell you one thing, the value of that 2024 pick absolutely did not go down today

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    All it takes is one AD injury. Lebron is Lebron, but he?ll also be 39 in the final year of that deal
    All it takes is one Lebron injury. We all know AD can't carry a team. Would still be looking at a high teens/low 20s pick though still.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Either of them gets hurt it's possible lottery.

Means nothing for our draft picks: I think the expectation was always that Lebron was likely to play out his career in LA now. The question is how much his play sustains over time, and what they can add around him.

Nobody should be surprised that Lebron didn't wait to see if he needed to take a lesser amount. He hasn't taken paycuts since at least Miami, and not sure why we'd expect him to start now. He makes the moves he makes with short term deals specifically to maximise income and flexibility.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Means nothing for our draft picks: I think the expectation was always that Lebron was likely to play out his career in LA now. The question is how much his play sustains over time, and what they can add around him.

Nobody should be surprised that Lebron didn't wait to see if he needed to take a lesser amount. He hasn't taken paycuts since at least Miami, and not sure why we'd expect him to start now. He makes the moves he makes with short term deals specifically to maximise income and flexibility.
    It certainly means something for our draft picks. There was the thought initially that if he won a title, he could have been on his last contract. This solidifies a longer contract and secures AD through then as well.

It certainly means something for our draft picks. There was the thought initially that if he won a title, he could have been on his last contract. This solidifies a longer contract and secures AD through then as well.
    I don't think that was ever the thought

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I don't think that was ever the thought
    It was discussed a lot as a potential value when the trade occurred (much like the discussion of the potential of Giannis opting out with Bucks has been discussed in connection with the Jrue trade).

The AD extension is more concerning. He's now signed through the 2024-2025 season. It basically ensures that none of the Lakers pick will have upper lottery potential. We'll see if the Lakers can build a sustainable winner around AD once Lebron leaves. Also the possibility that he requests a trade when Lebron retires, although I don't see that happening.

The AD extension is more concerning. He's now signed through the 2024-2025 season. It basically ensures that none of the Lakers pick will have upper lottery potential. We'll see if the Lakers can build a sustainable winner around AD once Lebron leaves. Also the possibility that he requests a trade when Lebron retires, although I don't see that happening.
    It was pretty much a given when Lebron extended. AD has an ETO before the 24-25 season. Probably set up so he can leave if Lebron retires/leaves at the end of his extension.

Didn't see the ETO. Thats good news

The question of the Lakers building a "sustainable" winner will remain tenuous. Looks like they'll be set up to do this free agent dance every year around Lebron and AD for at least 3 years. Then AD and whoever for a couple years after that.

So those picks aren't assured of anything. Lebron is getting old and AD has never been an iron man.

I dont agree. I always thought the best chance of those being great picks for us is those guys staying on at high dollars, ensuring they can't bring in other stars and being top heavy and then a major injury or two occurring

I know that is cold to say and we don't root for injuries blah blah blah....but if they had major cap flexibility they could always get better. If those guys are locked in and an Achilles injury occurs, that is t he path to great picks.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I dont agree. I always thought the best chance of those being great picks for us is those guys staying on at high dollars, ensuring they can't bring in other stars and being top heavy and then a major injury or two occurring

I know that is cold to say and we don't root for injuries blah blah blah....but if they had major cap flexibility they could always get better. If those guys are locked in and an Achilles injury occurs, that is t he path to great picks.
    Absolutely. I meant barring health. It's more important for trading purposes. Those picks have more trade value if AD signs a 2+1

Also, can AD develop into a pure franchise leader, or will he always be the number 2 for when Bron goes

Father time is undefeated

Number 1s are much harder to recruit than a 2 or 3
    Last edited by AusPel; 12-03-2020 at 10:00 AM.

Bad health seems to happen to everyone over a long enough timeline. Imagine someone telling you in 2017 or 2018 that the Warriors would have the worst record in the league in 2019-20

We basically have their pick every year from 22 to 25. Griff is just banking on what NBA history tells us....that something catastrophic will happen to a team playing 100 games a year every year for a few years.

It might not. But NBA history says it is more likely that one of those 4 picks will be a lottery pick than all 4 will be in the late 20s

Like you said on Twitter, though, OKC's picks are setting up nicely. However, I think SGA is *maybe* a 3rd best player on a championship squad (whole different argument but I'm not at all convinced on SGA just yet). They have a LOT of team building to do, and need to get seriously lucky in the draft to find multiple superstars.

Like you said on Twitter, though, OKC's picks are setting up nicely. However, I think SGA is *maybe* a 3rd best player on a championship squad (whole different argument but I'm not at all convinced on SGA just yet). They have a LOT of team building to do, and need to get seriously lucky in the draft to find multiple superstars.
    SGA is better than Jrue. He can be a number 2

oh no no no no he's not. Might be in the future, maybe. Not right now

He is not (not yet at least).

Played a majority of his minutes last season with three other ball handlers on the floor. I'm not convinced he can shoot it. He was horrible in the playoffs when teams focused in on him

Thread Information