Pelicans Report

Thread: Shamit gets it too!

Shamit gets it too!

Right on the mark!

Who's gonna take Jrue's assignments on defense?

Who's gonna defend the KDs and Kawhis, Giannises and LeBron's of the world now? Tatum?

BI?

I really dislike this honeymoon period where thing's new and all the problems are fixed

Losing Jrue is a clear step backwards defensively

Zion needs to get back to caring about defense and BI and Lonzo the same really

That Shamit Tweet was a major puff piece. It didn't say jack ********

But some people will cling onto the smallest things as a sign of hope. Let's get real
    Last edited by AusPel; 11-27-2020 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Seems good, but who's gonna take Jrue's assignments on defense?

Who's gonna defend the KDs and Kawhis, Giannises and LeBron's of the world now?

BI?
    Honestly? I'm fine with letting BI try to take the primary defensive assignments for wings this year. I want to let him test the absolute boundaries of his game on both sides so that we can get an idea of what he can ultimately be, and, more importantly, what the best way to compliment him and Zion is.

Now, do I expect him to be very successful doing that? No. But, if he shows the ability to hold his own with the best of the best on defense for 10-15 minutes a night while also carrying a heavy offensive burden, then I absolutely think that changes the entire trajectory of this team. I hope Van Gundy uses this season to let the cornerstones expand their games to the absolute limits while helping to nurture the younger guys. JJ, Adams, and Bledsoe should only help with those goals and should also have the side benefit of bringing in some extra wins as well.

I don't think the end goal of this season should be to make the playoffs (although obviously I would love for that to happen) but to have us playing meaningful games with the future of our team learning how to best navigate those games together.

You don’t replace Jrue. That’s just dumb if you that’s the way you’re looking at it. It’s going to be a combination of scheme, game planning, and throwing different looks at whoever they’re trying to defend. Not sure why you keep posting these drivel.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    Honestly? I'm fine with letting BI try to take the primary defensive assignments for wings this year. I want to let him test the absolute boundaries of his game on both sides so that we can get an idea of what he can ultimately be, and, more importantly, what the best way to compliment him and Zion is.

Now, do I expect him to be very successful doing that? No. But, if he shows the ability to hold his own with the best of the best on defense for 10-15 minutes a night while also carrying a heavy offensive burden, then I absolutely think that changes the entire trajectory of this team. I hope Van Gundy uses this season to let the cornerstones expand their games to the absolute limits while helping to nurture the younger guys. JJ, Adams, and Bledsoe should only help with those goals and should also have the side benefit of bringing in some extra wins as well.

I don't think the end goal of this season should be to make the playoffs (although obviously I would love for that to happen) but to have us playing meaningful games with the future of our team learning how to best navigate those games together.
    I agree with all of this

Passing the torch to BI defensively is going to be a huge learning curve, no one seems to be addressing this

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    You don’t replace Jrue. That’s just dumb if you that’s the way you’re looking at it. It’s going to be a combination of scheme, game planning, and throwing different looks at whoever they’re trying to defend. Not sure why you keep posting these drivel.
    Your plan is to throw different looks at the LeBrons of the world

Good job, good effort

Now we've found the Pels defensive co-ordinator of the last few years

Your plan is to throw different looks at the LeBrons of the world

Good job, good effort

Now we've found the Pels defensive co-ordinator of the last few years
    Maybe you should have a little more faith in your new head coach who have proven a hell of a lot more than your negativity.

Maybe you should have a little more faith in your new head coach who have proven a hell of a lot more than your negativity.
    Being objective isn't a synonym for pessimism

Nothing you said is objective. Just a bunch of opinions. You have yet to see ONE game under SVG. But keep driving that strawman BS.

Some people also cling onto the smallest things as a sign of despair.... nothing wrong being positive on the team you support with virtually everything new especially when we were under a badly coached squad... there's no perfect team out there, each have there own flaws...this team obviously has flaws in it, but if svg can bring out the best with this squad and the team plays with heart.. i would gladly be supporting them and be proud of it as well. Just appreciate the fact that we are not a team like the kings or knicks.

Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    Some people also cling onto the smallest things as a sign of despair.... nothing wrong being positive on the team you support with virtually everything new especially when we were under a badly coached squad... there's no perfect team out there, each have there own flaws...this team obviously has flaws in it, but if svg can bring out the best with this squad and the team plays with heart.. i would gladly be supporting them and be proud of it as well. Just appreciate the fact that we are not a team like the kings or knicks.
    True that

Nothing you said is objective. Just a bunch of opinions. You have yet to see ONE game under SVG. But keep driving that strawman BS.
    Yes it's definitely "an opinion" that we're taking a massive step backwards defensively with no one to replace a top 5 defender in the league. We didn't even try and scrape for a defensive wing in FA. Every man and his dog was crying out for us to sign one.

It's a giant, swollen, objective fact that we are super thin at the wing.

But somehow that's a strawman argument to you.

I don't think you even know what a strawman argument means
    Last edited by AusPel; 11-27-2020 at 03:03 PM.

You completely disregard the possibility of team defense being their answer especially from a proven defensive coach with some quality defensive pieces while your argument for defending big time wings are only viable if they had a Jrue Holiday replacement. Definition of a straw man there.

You completely disregard the possibility of team defense being their answer especially from a proven defensive coach with some quality defensive pieces while your argument for defending big time wings are only viable if they had a Jrue Holiday replacement. Definition of a straw man there.
    I didn't say we needed Jrue Holiday 2.0, now you're straw manning me. What's left over is atrocious defensively at SF, which was my point from the start.

Quality defensive pieces? I assume you're talking about Bledsoe who is giving up 7 inches to every wing. He'll easily get blown by the star wings, then Adams is supposed to save the day with his rim protection, which by all accounts is vastly overrated.

I didn't say we needed Jrue Holiday 2.0, now you're straw manning me. What's left over is atrocious defensively at SF, which was my point from the start.

Quality defensive pieces? I assume you're talking about Bledsoe who is giving up 7 inches to every wing. He'll easily get blown by the star wings, then Adams is supposed to save the day with his rim protection, which by all accounts is vastly overrated.
    If you?re expecting a finished product this year then you should probably log off right now.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    If you?re expecting a finished product this year then you should probably log off right now.
    Pretty much this.

Bledsoe and Adams are both very good defenders. We can quibble about exactly how good they are, but if you have a plus wingspan and strength height doesn't matter that much (how many times do we have to watch Jrue stop Jokic in the post before this becomes clear, and how long does CP3 have to play before people realise this?) and Adam's positional defense and verticality does far more to protect the rim than gaudy block numbers. But even if that wasn't true, and we were a bottom 10 defense next year, so what? Yes, it will be annoying to watch but nobody expects a ring from us next year. Even making the 8th seed would be a victory. So if things aren't optimal then that's just expected.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    So we are not going to the Finals? Tank for even more draft picks?

Who's gonna take Jrue's assignments on defense?

Who's gonna defend the KDs and Kawhis, Giannises and LeBron's of the world now? Tatum?

BI?

I really dislike this honeymoon period where thing's new and all the problems are fixed

Losing Jrue is a clear step backwards defensively

Zion needs to get back to caring about defense and BI and Lonzo the same really

That Shamit Tweet was a major puff piece. It didn't say jack ********

But some people will cling onto the smallest things as a sign of hope. Let's get real
    Playoffs is not a priority this year.

CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Additionally, what I can say is I know they want NAW playing meaningful minutes this year, specifically with other ball handlers. They way NAW was used last year was incredibly frustrating. They’re leaving a spot open so that he can be put in positions to succeed offensively. (Also some rumors that he’s legit 6’7 now)

Eye on the prize.

Goals this year are :

1. Developing Zion, Jax, NAW, Kira, Marshall, and getting Lonzo to buy into a role that better suits.
    2. Establishing an effective, defensive identity
    3. Getting the eight seed

Getting to the second round in this deep western conference would be magnificent overachieving and would put SVG in contention for coach of the year.

If we don't achieve those three goals this year, then they will be more or less the same goals for the following season.
    Last edited by SoCal4Pels; 11-28-2020 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post

Honestly.
    Ppl need to stop looking at trades in a vacuum.
    If they signed Jrue, this would have retarded BI, Lonzo, Zions, Naws and now Lewis' growth. You don't pay a 30+ year old Jrue 200M+ to be your 3rd or 4th banana. 25M with Adams and Bledsoe gives you that leadership.

I love Jrue, but not that much!!

Thread Information