Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: SVG gets it - great article by David Fisher on TBW

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    This is a boring argument about semantics. I wrote "Don't think too many people assume Didi is NBA material." That's my impression based on the past year-and-a-half of discussions here and elsewhere and because nothing he's done since he's been drafted have given rise to an "assumption" that he'll make it in the NBA. It's just a possibility that remains to be proven.
    Discussions here really don't matter. At all. But even still, I dont recall any discussions here that ever said this. If you can find it link it.

As far as discussions "elsewhere"? Ok...where???

And even looking at his NBL stats, I don't know who said they were bad, because they're not. He averaged 10 points, 4 rebounds, and 2 assists in 20 games and 23 minutes per game off the bench. And he only missed games due to a calf injury. So he was in the regular rotation for the best team in the NBL. He had a couple big games, hit some big shots, and had some key defensive stops in his first exposure to pro basketball as a 20 year old. And the NBL isn't some developmental league. Long time NBA vets play there. Andrew Bogut was on his team. The program Didi, RJ Hampton, and Lamelo Ball were in just started a few years ago.

So basically, I don't know where all this is coming from and it seems you are just making stuff up for your own opinion.

If the Pelican Brass thought DiDi had what it takes to cut it in the NBA, he would be on the team today competing at a position of need on this ballclub. The one position on this team that sorely needs shoring up is the backup position at SF behind BI. That's not making something up...that's pointing something out.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    If the Pelican Brass thought DiDi had what it takes to cut it in the NBA, he would be on the team today competing at a position of need on this ballclub. The one position on this team that sorely needs shoring up is the backup position at SF behind BI. That's not making something up...that's pointing something out.
    Wouldn't be an AISI post without a whole lot of nonsense.

Didi doesn't even crack 6'4". Barely shooting guard size, let alone big enough to defend small forwards. In no Universe will Didi ever be considered anything close to being able to play the 3. He's overseas to learn the game and so we don't have to start paying him yet.

Can't wait for your next atrocious take. I know we won't have to wait long.

That's not making something up... that's pointing something out.
    Last edited by AusPel; 11-27-2020 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Wouldn't be an AISI post without a whole lot of nonsense.

Didi doesn't even crack 6'4". Barely shooting guard size, let alone big enough to defend small forwards. In no Universe will Didi ever be considered anything close to being able to play the 3. He's overseas to learn the game and so we don't have to start paying him yet.

Can't wait for your next atrocious take. I know we won't have to wait long.

That's not making something up... that's pointing something out.
    Where are you seeing he is barely 6'4"?
    Everywhere I've seen he is 6'5" and similar to Josh Hart.

He won't guard big wings, but definitely isn't small.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Where are you seeing he is barely 6'4"?
    Everywhere I've seen he is 6'5" and similar to Josh Hart.

He won't guard big wings, but definitely isn't small.
    1.95 metres in feet is 6.39 feet

Definitely not 6'5" which is a crap height to defend SFs at the best of times

No one wants Didi to be 3Twaun'd his whole career, having to defend much bigger wings to his detriment.

He's a 2 guard
    Last edited by AusPel; 11-27-2020 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    This is why I've been so in favour of trading him. It's not because I don't think there's a way for him to be a good player - I do, as a 3&D roleplayer, where I think he can be potentially quite effective - but because I know that there's a history of bad teams throwing money at top 3 picks who hit the market, especially if they have name value, and either we'll have to match that money (which a 3&D roleplayer will not deserve unless they're literally one of the best of all time at that) or lose him for nothing.
    I think it will be a maestro move if Griffin is able to trade Zo before the trade deadline for something actually good

In my opinion, Lavar is not going to like how Zo will be used this year and will try everything to get him on the Hornets next year.

I also think this is the highest Zo’s stock will be...so we should beat them to the punch and cash out while we still can so an asset doesn?t just walk out the door.

What should our strategy be here? Just trade with the Hornets? Or another team? Will another team even want to trade for him if lavar is signaling Zo will only end up in Charlotte?

If Melo actually lives up to the hype, maybe MJ is willing to give us a First for Zo lol

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    1.95 metres in feet is 6.39 feet

Definitely not 6'5" which is a crap height to defend SFs at the best of times

No one wants Didi to be 3Twaun'd his whole career, having to defend much bigger wings to his detriment.

He's a 2 guard
    Pedantic note: 6.39 feet is 6 feet and 4.68 inches, which rounds to 6'5".

Nonetheless, your major point is correct, namely that small forwards are typically in the 6'6" to 6'10" range and Didi is below that.

Quote Originally Posted by johnpagenola View Post
    Pedantic note: 6.39 feet is 6 feet and 4.68 inches, which rounds to 6'5".

Nonetheless, your major point is correct, namely that small forwards are typically in the 6'6" to 6'10" range and Didi is below that.
    I'm from the metric system, please forgive lol.

I haven't heard anything about Didi's defensive capabilities

Quote Originally Posted by akhan786 View Post
    I think it will be a maestro move if Griffin is able to trade Zo before the trade deadline for something actually good

In my opinion, Lavar is not going to like how Zo will be used this year and will try everything to get him on the Hornets next year.

I also think this is the highest Zo?s stock will be...so we should beat them to the punch and cash out while we still can so an asset doesn?t just walk out the door.

What should our strategy be here? Just trade with the Hornets? Or another team? Will another team even want to trade for him if lavar is signaling Zo will only end up in Charlotte?

If Melo actually lives up to the hype, maybe MJ is willing to give us a First for Zo lol
    Lavar thankfully seems to have less sway over Zo than he once had, ditching BBB shoes and even saying they were made like ******** on the way out. Not something you would do if you were still trying to please papa.

However, Zo does have his new agent, which could mean he wants a move. Or it could just mean he wanted new representation for an extension? If him and BI get along, and he sees himself as teaming well with Zion long-term, I am hopeful he will be able to adjust his game to suit his strengths instead of clinging onto the idea he is a floor general.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal4Pels View Post
    Lavar thankfully seems to have less sway over Zo than he once had, ditching BBB shoes and even saying they were made like ******** on the way out. Not something you would do if you were still trying to please papa.

However, Zo does have his new agent, which could mean he wants a move. Or it could just mean he wanted new representation for an extension? If him and BI get along, and he sees himself as teaming well with Zion long-term, I am hopeful he will be able to adjust his game to suit his strengths instead of clinging onto the idea he is a floor general.
    I don't think Zo believes he is a floor general. No one else who watches him does either

Perhaps 'floor general' is a bit excessive, he is probably not that delusional by this point. But you get my point, I think: the role he has seen for himself and that for which he has been groomed since before he was drafted is likely not the optimal role for him any longer, and he would do well to embrace his strengths and adjust instead of beating a dead horse.

Thread Information