Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Adams signs 2 year extension 35mil.

Breaking News Adams signs 2 year extension 35mil.

Fully guaranteed. Whoa

NICE LOVE IT

Now ya see, that's just swell
    Basketball.

So he'll look happier than Chris Kaman when he gets here? Lol

I'll always have trade PTSD from that. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4f05b57b69bedd951e000010.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	6552
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    So he'll look happier than Chris Kaman when he gets here? Lol
    He agreed to sign an extension when he absolutely didn't have to, even though it dropped his pay. His choice. Combine that with all the stories about h being a great culture guy, I can't see him being a malcontent

So will that 35 million be added to the 27.5 and spread out over three years like in the NFL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    So will that 35 million be added to the 27.5 and spread out over three years like in the NFL?

From what's being said he gets all his monies lol . 29 mill this year. 17.5 the other 2 years. But waiting on full details. It could possibly be staggered.

What you're thinking in the NFL is signing bonus. Which doesn't apply to NBA

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    What you're thinking in the NFL is signing bonus. Which doesn't apply to NBA
    Ah yeah you?re right. That?s when they essentially restructure salary to bonus so they can extend contract and spread it over.

Pelicans reddit is full of people freaking out like they wanna see fit first....

BRUH.... YOU REALLY WANT US TO GET INTO A FREE AGENT BIDDING WAR WITH A Probable TOP 5 FA Center? ARE YOU CRAZY. WE ain't LA.

If his agent is willing to take a discount, now. YOu jump on that now. Worry about fit later. He is still a very easy trade.

Ah yeah you?re right. That?s when they essentially restructure salary to bonus so they can extend contract and spread it over.

NBA Bonus Rules vs. the NFL's

Another difference in the way sports handle bonuses is the accounting. Salary caps are employed in both the NBA and the NFL. The NFL prorates bonuses so that they won't count too much toward the salary cap in any given year. Suppose this year's college football superstar signs with the New York Jets for three years, and gets a $1.5 million bonus. The player gets the money up front, but the team prorates the money as half a million in each year of the contract. Even if the player gets cut at the end of year one, his bonus still counts against the cap over the next two years.

The NBA doesn't prorate bonuses, but pays much smaller ones. Major League Baseball doesn't have salary caps, so the effect of bonuses isn't an issue.

And it declines

Nice

Pelicans reddit is full of people freaking out like they wanna see fit first....

BRUH.... YOU REALLY WANT US TO GET INTO A FREE AGENT BIDDING WAR WITH A Probable TOP 5 FA Center? ARE YOU CRAZY. WE ain't LA.

If his agent is willing to take a discount, now. YOu jump on that now. Worry about fit later. He is still a very easy trade.
    Yep.

I also think that something people forget is that if we ever want to make that big trade you need salary attached to players that a team might actually take. Nobody is taking a huge contract on a terrible player back for their star. You need reasonable money attached to quality players.

Welp, that's that!!!

What's the subliminal message?

Barring injury, JAX won't be starting anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Welp, that's that!!!

What's the subliminal message?

Barring injury, JAX won't be starting anytime soon.
    Adams not playing 48 minutes a game....

Not even 35 minutes. Jax going to get heavy minutes as primary 2nd big. Which may be 20+ minutes.

Aslong we don't go to the patented Gentry Blown Lead Special of 4 guards and Melli.
    Last edited by Taker597; 11-24-2020 at 12:04 AM.

I think this contract will be movable in year three where if Griff wants he could potentially get that first or a couple seconds back for him.

Not even 35 minutes. Jax going to get heavy minutes as primary 2nd big. Which may be 20+ minutes.

Aslong we don't go to the patented Gentry Blown Lead Special of 4 guards and Melli.
    IMO, ZW will log minutes at Center when we go small.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    IMO, ZW will log minutes at Center when we go small.
    That's a given. Granted... I never liked Zion playing the 5.

That's a given. Granted... I never liked Zion playing the 5.
    PJ Tucker likes this

Yeah I don't think many people had Jax pencilled in for 36 minutes a game as a starter or anything

I've said it time and again: he played about 15-20 minutes a game last season as a backup (when Favors was healthy) and I don't see any reason why he shouldn't get the same sort of minutes this year. Let Adams start, let him play around 30 minutes a night depending on the matchups, and let Jax plug in the majority of the gaps.

It should surprise nobody who read my opinion in the other thread that I don’t like this, either. But I don’t dislike it quite as much as the original decision to acquire him for the price we paid, if only because this limits the length of the contract I expect we would have needed to retain him after the year. I think it’s a slight overpay, prioritizes a very replaceable position, and places an unnecessary amount of risk to the Pels if he sustains a serious injury or falls off a cliff.

I’ll be cheering for him and hope it works.

One thing I will add, just in relation to this, is I've seen a few people (mostly on Twitter) saying that thank God we've acquired Adams because Zion is a terrible defensive rebounder.

I need those people to re-watch the games he played in last year, and then compare them to the games he played at Duke. As an NBA rookie, Zion averaged 13.7% DREB. In Duke, he averaged about 18.0% DREB. What was the difference?

The most obvious difference was a scheme issue. At Duke, Zion was in the paint the majority of the time, and therefore when there was a DREB to grab, he was there to grab it. For us, Gentry purposefully had Zion away from the paint so that when a large rebounding guard like Lonzo or Hart grabbed the board, Zion was already 90% of the way to the hoop in transition. It reduced Zion's rebounding numbers, but granted him a bunch of super easy transition buckets.

This is one example of why you can't just look at box score stats and say ''oh well Zion isn't a good rebounder''. The scheme purposefully reduced his defensive rebounding opportunities in exchange for scoring, knowing we had other personnel who could do that job.

Whether SVG follows that plan or institutes his own methods remains to be seen, but the idea that Adams was acquired because Zion is a dreadful rebounder is just a terrible misunderstanding.

*dreadful defensive rebounder

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    *dreadful defensive rebounder
    ...you get the point lmao

Thread Information