Pelicans Report

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans want Steven Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Sure but at the same time you can't hold them as sacred. The vast vast vast majority of 2nd round picks result in literally nothing for the team that uses them. There are exceptions but they're rare. And while they're often available, teams very rarely successfully pick up guys who are strong starter calibre players in the late first round.

I get wanting to be sensible, and I agree that picks have value and you shouldn't be silly about them, but if you get yourself to the point where you're refusing to trade a 2024 second rounder in a deal for a starter calibre player then you're being sillier than Danny Ainge has ever been about assets, and we all know how much he gets clowned.
    As long as Beal doesn't come onto the market half way through the season and Presti doesn't pounce with our assets as his competitive advantage I should be good

I absolutely love Steven Adams and I think he is miles better than Asik, but I agree that we overpayed- possibly by a lot. If we had rid ourselves of Bledsoe?s deal, you can make the argument that we shed salary and the deal is at least a bit more neutral.

I can at least get behind this deal because I love the guy. This will however be one of those moments where I judge Griffin harshly if it backfires. I am assuming we have a plan of some sort in place that hasn?t come together yet. A year rental for Adams considering our standing in the league atm is just stupidity. There has to be more to it.

People panicking about us giving up a 2023 late first and some seconds, it's wild
    Basketball.

People panicking about us giving up a 2023 late first and some seconds, it's wild
    People are skeptical. Big difference. At least be fair here

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I absolutely love Steven Adams and I think he is miles better than Asik, but I agree that we overpayed- possibly by a lot. If we had rid ourselves of Bledsoe’s deal, you can make the argument that we shed salary and the deal is at least a bit more neutral.

I can at least get behind this deal because I love the guy. This will however be one of those moments where I judge Griffin harshly if it backfires. I am assuming we have a plan of some sort in place that hasn’t come together yet. A year rental for Adams Considering our standing in the league atm is just stupidity. There has to be more to it.
    Okay, I been pretty clear on this... Nobody wants Bledsoe unless it's a last resort option..

I'm not saying we will be stuck with him, but he isn't leaving till when free agency starts to get really tight with teams that are feeling the pressure.

We do need to extend Adams, but his paycut will force him to test the free agent waters. Even then... He's probably gone unless we overpay for him.

Maybe he'll take a GTD deal extension of maybe 17 million a year, but that's 8 million drop off from 25 million per year that he gad in his last deal.

If Horford is getting paid. Adams agent isn't going to take a paycut till he sees the market himself. Which can really burn him. 3+1 68 million may be looked as a safer deal in the midst of all this uncertainty with Covid, but you can't predict what an agent may feel.

Especially, when a bunch of role players get 20 million deals.

You can argue that the cap space will tighten up next year, tho.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Wild!

Lol that's why I gave up on the argument. If it works? Cool. If it doesn't? Gone next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Okay, I been pretty clear on this... Nobody wants Bledsoe unless it's a last resort option..

I'm not saying we will be stuck with him, but he isn't leaving till when free agency starts to get really tight with teams that are feeling the pressure.

We do need to extend Adams, but his paycut will force him to test the free agent waters. Even then... He's probably gone unless we overpay for him.

Maybe he'll take a GTD deal extension of maybe 17 million a year, but that's 8 million drop off from 25 million per year that he gad in his last deal.

If Horford is getting paid. Adams agent isn't going to take a paycut till he sees the market himself. Which can really burn him. 3+1 68 million may be looked as a safer deal in the midst of all this uncertainty with Covid, but you can't predict what an agent may feel.

Nobody wants him which is why we would send OKC picks as compensation. Instead, we just made a straight swap with expirings. Everyone and their mother thought Bledsoe was going in this deal before the details were released because it made more sense. Expirings for an expiring that will be difficult to extend is not worth parting with picks for. Maybe if we were a perennial playoff team.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post

Adams last contract is fairly irrelevant, it's definitely not acting as a baseline he should negotiate off this time

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    Lol that's why I gave up on the argument. If it works? Cool. If it doesn't? Gone next year.
    And 3 less picks for nothing. Awesome. And yes I hope this deal pans out. Skepticism here is very fair though

And 3 less picks for nothing. Awesome. And yes I hope this deal pans out. Skepticism here is very fair though
    Ooooooook brother.

Another reason not to poo poo this years seconds. Could trade them back like did this year

Ooooooook brother.
    It?s as if you can?t handle a differing opinion or something.

It?s as if you can?t handle a differing opinion or something.
    I've made my points. You've made your points. We agree to disagree.

That is more like it.

Anyways, a lot will depend on what other moves we make this season and next. I?m glad we brought this guy in personally. However, I hope there is a better plan in place than “he is a mentor for Hayes and he brings a winning culture.” There very likely is.

Yeah, if you say ''it's three picks for nothing!'' and I say ''it's three picks that are highly likely to result in nothing anyway based on the historical data for at least one year of a very very good player with the potential to extend later if circumstances are right, and even if we don't extend him we end up with $30m of cap space'' and you respond ''but it's three picks!'' then what else am I supposed to say?

Conversation's over.

Yeah, if you say ''it's three picks for nothing!'' and I say ''it's three picks that are highly likely to result in nothing anyway based on the historical data for at least one year of a very very good player with the potential to extend later if circumstances are right, and even if we don't extend him we end up with $30m of cap space'' and you respond ''but it's three picks!'' then what else am I supposed to say?

Conversation's over.
    Lol pretty much.

I think this is what big trade MM was talking about. He was right. I like the move.

What's the bet OKC aggregates the Cleveland and Washington picks to move into the 1st round

Could probably get up to 3rd overall

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    I think this is what big trade MM was talking about. He was right. I like the move.
    lol no

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Adams gives this team some toughness. We have no real alpha males on this team. Jrue was a super nice guy, almost to a fault. We got a good veteran player at a position of Absolute need that will put you on your ****** if you mess with him or his teammates. I love this move.

Plus he looks like Aquaman.

Conversation's over.
    I mentioned the 3 picks for nothing because he acted dismissively towards the move as if we didn?t lose any assets. Those picks can be used to facilitate another deal. We would have shed that salary space regardless of acquiring Adams or not so that point is null and void. All we gain is a good player on an expiring. That is fine. If you believe the value is there, so be it. I don?t think we should be throwing picks around willy nilly. We?ll see how it pans out.
    Last edited by JJackisangry; 11-21-2020 at 02:00 PM.

I mentioned the 3 picks for nothing because he acted dismissively towards the move as if we didn?t lose any assets. Those picks can be used to facilitate another deal. We would have shed that salary space regardless of acquiring Adams or not so that point is null and void. All we gain is a good player on an expiring. That is fine. If you believe the value is there, so be it. I don?t think we should be throwing picks around willy nilly. We?ll see how it pans out.
    Agreed. You don't see Sam Presti chucking picks around willy nilly. He respects them too much

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Agreed. You don't see Sam Presti chucking picks around willy nilly. He respects them too much
    All I can say is this can’t be it. I expect another move in the works. My initial reaction- I’m hesitant specifically because we didn’t move Bledsoe. We very easily could be preparing something big and then this deal makes more sense.

Thread Information