Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans want Steven Adams

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I like Adams but I’m not crazy about giving up the first. It is what it is. I understand we are trying to shed Bledsoe’s contract
    A pick in 2023 in which denver will still be pretty good. So it'll probably be another 10-15 lottery pick. I think we'll be alright.

I don't understand why we give up assets to get him, the fit doesn't really make sense neither. Oh well I do love me some Adams! Dudes gonna fight for his teammates, you gotta love that.

I’d probably wait for more information. This is looking to be one crazy trade and I bet the Bombs haven’t all been released yet from this multi team trade.

Well he all know Van Gundy like to 'build a ********ing wall' so Adams makes sense ����

Trade Bledsoe to Knicks (who need backcourt help) for Randall (we are short in the frontcourt). Randall's salary would come off the books next year along with Adams.

Giannis anyone?

This year:

PG: KLJ / NAW
    SG: Lonzo / JJ / Hill
    SF: BI / Hart / E'Twaun
    PF: Zion / Randall / Melli
    C: Adams / JAX

So this disappointed me, at first. Despite harping on the "this is not our year" horse I still have this desire for the team to find the final pieces and I don't think Adams is it. UNO's post soothed me. Good point, crack fox. And then my brain went into homerism mode...because that's what I do. So this is how my brain reframed the trade to make me love it:

1) SVG gets career years out of big men. Adams has already been good. He passes well. Maybe he IS the missing piece....but maybe not...so onto two....

2) Adams is an expiring as UNO said. That's good. That Denver pick will be a late one and we have more 2nds than the Atlanta Falcons have botched insurmountable leads...so....the price wasn't as high as it looks (that we know of).

3) Adams can teach Hayes but also Zion and Melli a few things. (As hornetzplaya said).

4) Adams absolutely improves the culture of the team.

5) I'm a sucker for Taika Waititi movies so I adore Kiwis.

6) Adams really rounds out a unit of him, Zion, Melli, and Hayes.

7) Even if he is only here one year and we don't go far...this team will be fun to watch.

So OK. I've convinced myself to like it.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 11-21-2020 at 01:28 AM.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    So this disappointed me, at first. Despite harping on the "this is not our year" horse I still have this desire for the team to find the final pieces and I don't think Adams is it. UNO's post soothed me. Good point, crack fox. And then my brain went into homerism mode...because that's what I do. So this is how my brain reframed the trade to make me love it:

1) SVG gets career years out of big men. Adams has already been good. He passes well. Maybe he IS the missing piece....but maybe not...so onto two....

2) Adams is an expiring as UNO said. That's good. That Denver pick will be a late one and we have more 2nds than the Atlanta Falcons have botched insurmountable leads...so....the price wasn't as high as it looks (that we know of).

3) Adams can teach Hayes but also Zion and Melli a few things.

4) Adams absolutely improves the culture of the team.

5) I'm a sucker for Taika Waititi movies so I adore Kiwis.

6) Adams really rounds out a unit of him, Zion, Melli, and Hayes.

7) Even if he is only here one year and we don't go far...this team will be fun to watch.

So OK. I've convinced myself to like it.
    Lol at least you aren't a nagging Nancy. These are pretty much the things that I'm trying to point out to everyone. But to each is own

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    Lol at least you aren't a nagging Nancy. These are pretty much the things that I'm trying to point out to everyone. But to each is own
    You DID say that first. I went back and cited you.

Yeah. This isn't a sechsy move but what Center IS sechsy in the modern age? It's like when the Saints draft offensive linemen.

People really need to let go of this idea that they need a big to "stretch" the floor. Thats just one aspect in a game that requires many. And his apparent 1 year rental would check many of the boxes of those other aspects.

Plus starting to see more and more teams load up on more traditional type bigs at the 5 spot again.

Zion has to learn to stretch the floor himself if he ever wants to realize his potential anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    People really need to let go of this idea that they need a big to "stretch" the floor. Thats just one aspect in a game that requires many. And his apparent 1 year rental would check many of the boxes of those other aspects.

Plus starting to see more and more teams load up on more traditional type bigs at the 5 spot again.

Zion has to learn to stretch the floor himself if he ever wants to realize his potential anyway.
    Think Zion will ever fix his form on that jump shot? At his size, many PF's would send his shot to the stands if they're playing him close.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    A 1 and two 2's for a one year rental? That's "Demps-esque"!!!
    Think of it as a 1 and two 2s for 28 mil in cap relief. The picks are assets that we probably won?t use to actually draft players with. So u use them to maneuver players and money.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    Think Zion will ever fix his form on that jump shot? At his size, many PF's would send his shot to the stands if they're playing him close.
    Of course he can. It isnt that bad aside from that weird wrist swivel. And they can't play him too close. Thats an instant blow by.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    This has me excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet! I much rather Steven Adams than Aaron Baynes. Then he?s also an expiring. I know he isn?t the floor spacing big that would fit better with Zion. But with Zion not being your usual taller power forward, we may be better off with a big body that can rebound & rim protect over a stretch 5.

Now if we can move Bledsoe. I wouldn?t mind keeping Hill for a year than move him next year as an expiring. We will have a ton of money coming off the books with Adams, Lonzo, & Hart contracts coming up. I want to keep Hart since he seems to love being here and he?s great off the bench with his scoring & defense. If we can move Bledsoe & Hill we will have some cap space to be a player in next years WAY better free agency to go get our 3rd big piece to add to Zion & BI. I think Hayes, NAW, and Kira have a chance to be really special players in this league. We may just need to fill out our bench with a bunch of good players instead of one big time free agent. Or we add the guy I’ve wanted to bring in what seems like forever now, Demar Derozan. He’s 31 now and hell JJ is 36 and still playing at a high level. I would love to sign him to a 3 year $66 million dollar deal. C:Hayes, PF: Zion, SF: BI, SG: DeRozan, PG: Kira for the 2021/2022 season and compete for the title baby lol.

C: Adams, Hayes
    PF: Zion, Melli
    SF: BI, Hart
    SG: JJ, Hill, NAW
    PG: Lonzo, Kira

That 10/11 man rotation has me excited. We got our two beast All Stars in Zion & BI. A deadly 3 point shooter in JJ. A good full court point guard that has great size, defense, and improving shot in Lonzo. We got a huge center that no one can push around who has stayed healthy throughout his whole career. We need rebounding and we got that. He may not be a great a shot blocker, but just having his presence will be huge. Then Hart is a great 6th man, leader for the 2nd unit. Hayes will keep developing his game and Adams ought to help him out a ton. NAW has unreal potential to be a special player. I know it was just summer league, but he still has shown that he can play some basketball. I think George Hill could be really good for NAW?s game if he?s kept around for a year. Having JJ to learn from at shooting guard and Hill to learn from at point guard? You can?t ask for much better guys that look to be willing to teach. Kira gives us that really fast point guard that can score & run a better half court offense than Lonzo. And hopefully Melli improves his 3 point shot and gets better as well as our stretch 4.

We really have everything you would want for a NBA team. A true rebounding center that will protect our best player down in the paint. A power forward that this league has never seen with unlimited potential. A small forward that looks to be unstoppable driving to the hole. One of the best 3 point shooters in the league. 2 good point guards that complement each other rather nicely. One with size & defense and the other with blazing speed. A young extremely athletic center coming off the bench. A stretch 4 that can shoot and has high basketball IQ. A young combo guard with a ton of potential. And a 6th man that can get you buckets and play great defense. And two veteran point guards as well, but I hope we move Bledsoe & keep Hill for his veteran leadership for a year. Hill could be huge for Lonzo, Kira, and NAW. If this team stays healthy they should be competing for a playoff spot without a doubt with this addition

Didn’t think we would have much news tonight despite possibly resigning BI than this!! Love it
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 11-21-2020 at 04:45 AM.

I just woke up and saw this, and here are my initial thoughts:

1) I like it quite a lot. I've said a few times on the board over the last year or so that I would quite like acquiring Adams if the cost wasn't too high, and frankly a 2023 Denver pick with lottery protections on it is not that expensive in my eyes.

2) Steven Adams is a good defender. I saw someone in the thread complaining that he only averaged 0.7 blocks a game, but that is far from indicative of defensive ability: Daniel Theis averaged fewer blocks per game than Hassan Whiteside, but Theis was the far superior defender last year, for example. Adams is a huge guy, who is exceptionally strong, who plays really good positional defense and has very good hands. He's not a top 5 defender in the NBA or anything but he is an above average defensive centre.

3) Adams is one of the best boxing-out bigs in the NBA, and given that the only person on the entire team who boxed out last year with regularity was Favors, I'm glad that we're getting someone back who is willing to do that, and who is also hopefully going to have that ability rub off on Jax.

4) Adams is a brutal screen setter, probably one of the top 5 or 10 screeners in the NBA, with a fantastic knack for angles and absurd strength. Having him with someone like Kira Lewis, who is fairly weak physically and will need some extra space in the PnR as a rookie, is a brilliant combination. The fact that Adams is also the kind of big who will happily screen far away from the ball, even up to the half court line in transition, benefits everyone on this team that excels in the full-court, including Kira, Zion, Lonzo, etc.

5) Everything I've ever heard about Adams and every interview I've ever seen tells me he's a really nice guy who is a hard worker and who doesn't complain, and who improves the culture of a locker room.

6) Adams is actually a really solid passer for a big. Obviously for most of his career this didn't get to show because he was on a team with some absurdly high usage guys like Westbrook where he never got to hold the ball for longer than a DHO, but it showed up more last year. It's encouraging.

7) Adams rolls really consistently which is huge for spacing, actually. While it's true that it would be nice if he could stretch the floor, the reality is that you can't get too hung up on one single skill like that. A big who is an elite finisher (Adams shot 74% at the rim last year, same sort of numbers as AD and Gobert) who is willing to just relentlessly roll also creates a degree of space because he drags his defenders around with him and draws help. Yes, it would be cool if he could shoot, but this isn't the end of the universe.

8) The size of the contract and the fact that it's expiring gives us a ton of options at the end of the year and going into free agency next season, which even though we are not a huge FA destination, is still something worth considering. Plus, Adams is only 27 so if we end up resigning him I'm fairly sure we'd be able to do so for a better deal than he's currently on given the general ''NBA bigs in free agency'' thing where the prices are not that high. He could easily test the market and find that nobody is willing to offer more than, say, $13m a year, and we just come in and give him $15m and then he stays or something like that.

Those are my initial thoughts. I like it.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Of course he can. It isnt that bad aside from that weird wrist swivel. And they can't play him too close. Thats an instant blow by.
    Completely agree.

Zion is a much better shooter than most people think when they talk about him. The form needs some work but it's not absolutely broken on all levels, and the as you say, the advantage of being such a powerful and dynamic athlete with a ton of burst is that if a slow-footed C guards up on you, you can just demolish them by attacking the close out.

Can you justify a big contract for Adams going forward? Implications?

The ever not so subtle elephant in the room

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Can you justify a big contract for Adams going forward? Implications?

The ever not so subtle elephant in the room
    I think it depends on what you call a big contract. Another multi-year deal at $28m a year? Nah I don't think that's justifiable given his level of player and the general market surrounding bigs right now. He's a really good player but he's not one of those special handful of bigs that justify that kind of expense.

It seems fairly clear to me that part of this deal is the fact that he expires and leaves us with $28m in cap space at the end of the year. We can use that to try and do other things and, if they don't work out, it can be used as cap space to take back larger deals in a trade, or even just to resign Adams at a smaller year-on-year value. If all our plans fail next year, you can always just resign Adams to a short deal (maybe 2 years with a team option) on an inflated salary just as salary filler for later trades with no long term commitment, like how Miami treated Meyers Leonard this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I think it depends on what you call a big contract. Another multi-year deal at $28m a year? Nah I don't think that's justifiable given his level of player and the general market surrounding bigs right now. He's a really good player but he's not one of those special handful of bigs that justify that kind of expense.

It seems fairly clear to me that part of this deal is the fact that he expires and leaves us with $28m in cap space at the end of the year. We can use that to try and do other things and, if they don't work out, it can be used as cap space to take back larger deals in a trade, or even just to resign Adams at a smaller year-on-year value. If all our plans fail next year, you can always just resign Adams to a short deal (maybe 2 years with a team option) on an inflated salary just as salary filler for later trades with no long term commitment, like how Miami treated Meyers Leonard this offseason.
    I agree, the primary driver of this move (a recurring theme with Griff) seems to be preserving maximum cap flexibility.

Adams is in that very tricky spot for a 5 where he's not quite what you'd call a real needle mover, but he'll still want 20 mil at least. That's a lot to have tied up at the 5.

The opportunity cost might just be too much to wear in this guard and wing driven league. It's very likely he'll walk and get paid somewhere else. Can still trade him at the deadline, I suppose.

Griff must have decided that he could justify a 1st and 2 2nds for 'the scenario of least returns' ie. purely an expiring and cap relief. I'd have that as a pretty likely scenario all things considered.

We couldn't get away with a MLE type deal for his next contract could we?

Just some basic info on Adams for anyone unsure - I'm using his numbers from last year here, obviously he's been in the league a while there's variation over time.

Steven Adams:
    Height: 6'11
    Weight: 265lbs
    Wingspan: 7'5''

Raw Statline, PTS/RBDS/ASTS: 10.9/9.3/2.3

Advanced Stats:
    TS%: 60.4%
    Box Outs: 5.1 per game, tied with Gobert for 6th in the NBA
    Screen Assists: 4.8 per game, 5th in the NBA
    Contested 2s: 9 per game, 9th in the NBA
    On/Off: +5.3
    Offensive REB%: 14%, 5th in the NBA
    BPM 2.0: +2.9
    PIPM: +1.8
    RPM: +1
    RAPTOR: +2.22
    AST/TO ratio: 1.55

So while he all know he's limited, he's not a super star, all the numbers seem to show that he's a very good utility big who does all the little things and has a larger impact than what the raw box score would reveal.

He's cool.

Put all stats & ability aside, I think with us his best attribute may be his ability to stay on the court. He’s played between 63-81 games throughout this 7 year career. Last year he played 63 games, but other than that he’s been out there for 80 games most years.

BUT HES NOT MY UNICORN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly this is the best center sans Myles Turner we could have gotten. Van Gundy will make it work. I can sleep better knowing we have the strongest frontcourt in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I agree, the primary driver of this move (a recurring theme with Griff) seems to be preserving maximum cap flexibility.

Adams is in that very tricky spot for a 5 where he's not quite what you'd call a real needle mover, but he'll still want 20 mil at least. That's a lot to have tied up at the 5.

The opportunity cost might just be too much to wear in this guard and wing driven league. It's very likely he'll walk and get paid somewhere else. Can still trade him at the deadline, I suppose.

Griff must have decided that he could justify a 1st and 2 2nds for 'the scenario of least returns' ie. purely an expiring and cap relief. I'd have that as a pretty likely scenario all things considered.

We couldn't get away with a MLE type deal for his next contract could we?
    I don't know if an MLE deal would be on the table, but I actually don't think he'll demand $20m at least on the open market. Look at what non-superstar bigs are demanding in Free Agency in recent years.

Montrezl Harrell just signed a deal for about $10m a year.
    Mason Plumlee just signed a deal for $9m a year.
    Meyers Leonard, about $9m a year and everyone called it an overpay (it is).
    JaMychal Green, about $7.5m a year
    Jakob Poeltl, about $9m a year in his new deal.
    Christian Wood just signed with Houston for about $14m a year
    Dwight Howard won a ring as a starter last year and just signed for the vet minimum
    Favors just went back to Utah on about $9m a year

That's all just this year.

Steven Adams is clearly better than most of the guys there, but the point is that good-but-not-star bigs just aren't commanding a lot of money right now. When he hits the market next year, it's also a free agency filled with superstars: Giannis, for example, if he doesn't extend, as well as Kawhi Leonard, Blake Griffin, Paul George, DeMar DeRozan, Jrue Holiday, Rudy Gobert, Victor Oladipo, etc.

I just don't think anyone will have a spare $20m+ just lying around that they're willing to spend on Adams when all these names are coming up. It's unlikely he gets more than about $15m/year, and depending on the length of the deal that might be something we could pay if we don't find anything elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I don't know if an MLE deal would be on the table, but I actually don't think he'll demand $20m at least on the open market. Look at what non-superstar bigs are demanding in Free Agency in recent years.

Montrezl Harrell just signed a deal for about $10m a year.
    Mason Plumlee just signed a deal for $9m a year.
    Meyers Leonard, about $9m a year and everyone called it an overpay (it is).
    JaMychal Green, about $7.5m a year
    Jakob Poeltl, about $9m a year in his new deal.
    Christian Wood just signed with Houston for about $14m a year
    Dwight Howard won a ring as a starter last year and just signed for the vet minimum
    Favors just went back to Utah on about $9m a year

That's all just this year.

Steven Adams is clearly better than most of the guys there, but the point is that good-but-not-star bigs just aren't commanding a lot of money right now. When he hits the market next year, it's also a free agency filled with superstars: Giannis, for example, if he doesn't extend, as well as Kawhi Leonard, Blake Griffin, Paul George, DeMar DeRozan, Jrue Holiday, Rudy Gobert, Victor Oladipo, etc.

I just don't think anyone will have a spare $20m+ just lying around that they're willing to spend on Adams when all these names are coming up. It's unlikely he gets more than about $15m/year, and depending on the length of the deal that might be something we could pay if we don't find anything elsewhere.
    To me that's the most fascinating thing about it all

I see 15 mil MINIMUM in his future. Absolute best case scenario

Wake up Jeff!!!!!

I mean Mac

Thread Information