Pelicans Report

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans want Steven Adams

Fun interview. Shoots straight. Very personable guy. Will become a fan favorite.

Not sure if this was mentioned on here, but the protections on the first that we got from Denver and then sent to OKC are interesting.

Protected 1-14 from 2023-2025. If the pick doesn't convey by 2025, it becomes a second round pick. So basically this pick has almost no upside.

That may take some of that 1st round sting off for some people.

Draft Pick
    Hello all,

You might need to put together a FAQ for kiwi's. Did you know that you now have about 4.8 million new Pelicans followers? (and OKC just lost them).
    So, I'm new, what do I need to know?

Quote Originally Posted by Robwell View Post
    Hello all,

You might need to put together a FAQ for kiwi's. Did you know that you now have about 4.8 million new Pelicans followers? (and OKC just lost them).
    Ha! Be prepared for epic debates about MLE's and why we traded our 2037 2nd round draft choice for a cup of coffee and some cash or who we should draft in three years. And when I mean epic, I mean War-and-Peace-novel epic. But what do I know?

On a side note: when does NZ play the West Indies in cricket? Today or tomorrow?
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Hello all,

Hey, welcome to the board.

There's tons of things that someone could say to introduce you to the team or the board, so I'll just throw out some random stuff and you can take it or leave it.

1) The board is nice but debate can be intense
    2) There are some people who will never stop thinking Lonzo is on the brink of becoming Magic Johnson.
    3) Pelicans are overwhelmingly unlucky, historically. Whenever something goes wrong, that's #PelsLife
    4) Prior to David Griffin taking over, our old front office loved to trade all of our picks away: as a result, we seem to covet picks more than most other teams
    5) Our defense has been really awful over the last few years, while our offense has been good. Expect to hear a lot about that.
    Basketball.

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Hey, welcome to the board.

There's tons of things that someone could say to introduce you to the team or the board, so I'll just throw out some random stuff and you can take it or leave it.
    Thank you for the welcome. Hopefully your defense picks up, especially those concussion inducing screens.

Thank you for the welcome. Hopefully your defense picks up, especially those concussion inducing screens.
    Your guy won't hurt in that effort, to be sure.

2) There are some people who will never stop thinking Lonzo is on the brink of becoming Magic Johnson.
    Hope he turns out like BI, the other Laker asset you did not like when we made the trade.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I was among those who weren’t fans of BI. But he worked his tail off. Really impressed me. Lonzo has already improved a bit. He just has to become not useless in the half court. Going more offball could be the ticket. But has gotta get better at finishing in the paint. Use two hands to gather. And continue developing that floater.

Lonzo's fate was sealed draft night. Especially If Kira shows any of his upside potential early. The team saw all the issues at point guard and made several moves to shore that up.

Plus I think both Lonzo and his daddy want him to leave next summer anyway. Au revoir. Sayonara.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Hope he turns out like BI, the other Laker asset you did not like when we made the trade.
    BI has had a fairly natural progression of his game

Lonzo needs to completely re-write a ton of his

Very different situations

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    BI has had a fairly natural progression of his game

Lonzo needs to completely re-write a ton of his

Very different situations
    I would disagree that BI had a ''fairly natural progression''. He was bad as a rookie, pretty bad as a sophomore but better, then regressed hard in year three, before having a historically massive explosion in year 4. That's not what most people do.

That said, yes, the things he improved at are things that players often improve at when they're young: mainly, shooting. Lonzo also improved as a shooter, but where did that get him? Still tradeable in the eyes of most, because his baseline was so awful that he's still only just better than league average from the 3pt line, and still well under league average everywhere else. That's before getting to things like the mentality issue, which isn't an issue Ingram ever had. Say what you want about Ingram, and of course I did, but being ''scared to drive'' is not an issue he had in LA, whereas it is an issue Lonzo has had since day one.

I would disagree that BI had a ''fairly natural progression''. He was bad as a rookie, pretty bad as a sophomore but better, then regressed hard in year three, before having a historically massive explosion in year 4. That's not what most people do.

That said, yes, the things he improved at are things that players often improve at when they're young: mainly, shooting. Lonzo also improved as a shooter, but where did that get him? Still tradeable in the eyes of most, because his baseline was so awful that he's still only just better than league average from the 3pt line, and still well under league average everywhere else. That's before getting to things like the mentality issue, which isn't an issue Ingram ever had. Say what you want about Ingram, and of course I did, but being ''scared to drive'' is not an issue he had in LA, whereas it is an issue Lonzo has had since day one.
    Everything BI got better at were things he did well in college but found challenging at NBA level. He tweaked a couple technique things like most players do.

Lonzo has to re-write his game. Why are we even at this point

In a game where physical contact is staple night in and night out, LB shies away from it; BI has never cowered from it...EVER!! That's why in a half court set, offensively, LB's only value is as a catch and shoot shot maker. Can Lonzo correct this flaw in his game? Will he ever be effective in the paint? Well those are the questions that need to be answered, aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Everything BI got better at were things he did well in college but found challenging at NBA level. He tweaked a couple technique things like most players do.

Lonzo has to re-write his game. Why are we even at this point
    Does Lonzo have to re-write his game or do people have to rewrite their perception of his game? I think it's the latter. He's a good NBA player. He's not a good NBA point guard

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Does Lonzo have to re-write his game or do people have to rewrite their perception of his game? I think it's the latter. He's a good NBA player. He's not a good NBA point guard
    He has to rewrite his game if he wants to keep playing the point instead of being a backup 3 being BI, and if he wants to keep receiving primary initiator money

He has to rewrite his game if he wants to keep playing the point instead of being a backup 3 being BI, and if he wants to keep receiving primary initiator money
    The Joe Harris money isn't bad this time of year lol

if you look back at Eric Gordon's M.O. early in career he was prolific at taking it to the hoop, then after knee issues, reinvented himself into a 3pt peripheral player.... so, its possible for Lonzo to create himself invaluable... but I doubt his heart

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    Ha! Be prepared for epic debates about MLE's and why we traded our 2037 2nd round draft choice for a cup of coffee and some cash or who we should draft in three years. And when I mean epic, I mean War-and-Peace-novel epic. But what do I know?

On a side note: when does NZ play the West Indies in cricket? Today or tomorrow?
    Second day today, Kane Williamson did well, but you can't determine a winner this early.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    As a guard, you should be able to drive and utilise pick and roll

He's a fantastic passer for a big.
    Someone asked to pull up the thread on the Adams trade. Here it is.
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 06-21-2021 at 03:28 PM.
    @mcnamara247

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Yeah. I like Steven Adams. The cost to get Steven Adams is tough to parse. But whatever. Hopefully this team is greater than the sum of its parts. Even with some really good parts.
    “Tough to parse.”

I am the guy of understatements.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    “Tough to parse.”

I am the guy of understatements.
    LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    Facts. Dudes defense isn't top tier per say, but it's definitely much better than most. Plus his rebounding, and passing will help us tremendously. Hayes will get some good tips from him
    Glad to say I wasn't COMPLETELY wrong.

Thread Information