Pelicans Report

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans want Steven Adams

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Sacrilegious, I'm sure, but team defense improved measurably (record too) when Melli became a major piece of the rotation. JAX was God-awful, save for the one highlight play every third game.
    It did? You'll have to show me.

Jax had a few moments tho. His D on Javale seemed satisfying as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    It did? You'll have to show me.

Jax had a few moments tho. His D on Javale seemed satisfying as hell.

Jax made clear improvements throughout the year, which seems evident not only to me but to a bunch of other people, but As I See It decided that Jax was a ''boom or bust'' player in like, mid December and never adjusted despite the clear changes in on court production.
    Basketball.

Okay swatting Curry's annoying floater into the stands was also very satisfying. Should have talked some crap to him too.

I do not foresee any more moves at the 5. Jaxson should be first off the bench if they dont go small ball with Melli.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Okay swatting Curry's annoying floater into the stands was also very satisfying. Should have talked some crap to him too.

I do not foresee any more moves at the 5. Jaxson should be first off the bench if they dont go small ball with Melli.
    Another agree! Jax was overmatched as a starter for a lot of games last season but he showed enough improvement for me to be absolutely happy with him coming off the bench against the backups of the world and maintaining that 15-20 minutes a game. Keep feeding the kid minutes and watching him grow.

JAX was a deer in the headlights in the at the beginning of the year...and a deer in the headlights at the end of the season. He really hasn't figured out the pick and roll at all. Most of his 'highlights' come from off the ball. His minutes dissipated dramatically as the team began to win. His rebounding sucked. The look on his face every time a foul is called against him proves he green as they come. He's just a pup...nothing wrong with that.

That said, his physical skills are such that I would not give up on this 20 year old uber-talent until after proves he can't learn the game. I have said it many times: there are three players who are almost untouchable on this team IMO, and he is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=-y3m0te_Tdc

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    JAX was a deer in the headlights in the at the beginning of the year...and a deer in the headlights at the end of the season. He really hasn't figured out the pick and roll at all. Most of his 'highlights' come from off the ball. His minutes dissipated dramatically as the team began to win. His rebounding sucked. The look on his face every time a foul is called against him proves he green as they come. He's just a pup...nothing wrong with that.

That said, his physical skills are such that I would not give up on this 20 year old uber-talent until after proves he can't learn the game. I have said it many times: there are three players who are almost untouchable on this team IMO, and he is one of them.
    He was supposed to he G League, but his screen assists was too valuable on the bench.

I hope SVG fixes chemistry and awareness issues with connecting on Hayes rim runs. His vertical space was so wasted and used at the most poorly timed moment.

That was one of the most frustrating parts of last season. Jax just constantly open running right at the rim and nobody even lookin at him let alone passing it

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    In a sense it's a try out gauging fit for Adams and the Pelicans too. There is a scenario that's not totally crazy where he's a good fit for the team and vice versa, and the asking price is something the Pelicans are willing to pay. He is only 27, and it's not guaranteed he won't be returning after next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Sure but at the same time you can't hold them as sacred. The vast vast vast majority of 2nd round picks result in literally nothing for the team that uses them. There are exceptions but they're rare. And while they're often available, teams very rarely successfully pick up guys who are strong starter calibre players in the late first round.

I get wanting to be sensible, and I agree that picks have value and you shouldn't be silly about them, but if you get yourself to the point where you're refusing to trade a 2024 second rounder in a deal for a starter calibre player then you're being sillier than Danny Ainge has ever been about assets, and we all know how much he gets clowned.

And don't we have something like a dozen second round picks? Giving up a couple here or there isn't a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    And don't we have something like a dozen second round picks? Giving up a couple here or there isn't a big deal.
    Early seconds are way more valuable that late seconds. You don't want to give away good ones and keep the ********

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    In a sense it's a try out gauging fit for Adams and the Pelicans too. There is a scenario that's not totally crazy where he's a good fit for the team and vice versa, and the asking price is something the Pelicans are willing to pay. He is only 27, and it's not guaranteed he won't be returning after next season.
    I hope we try to extend him now than later. I think he'll fit, and help bring some semblance of culture, and help get these guys playing like professionals on defense. Unlike Favors, I hope Adam isn't treating this like a one year vacation. Favors brought nothing to the locker room.

Steven Adams' home team in New Zealand is the Wellington Saints...who he played 1 year for.

It's destiny.

I wonder who else we giving up to get adams.

Hopefully we can sign & trade Frank Jackson to get the money right on this deal. I don?t want to lose Lonzo, Melli, or NAW as I think each will be in the rotation ready to contribute. If I couldn?t get one of those 3 then Frank would be the player I would want if I were OKC. And Frank should be happy with a 3 year deal even if it?s at the minimum. After SGA they have George Hill, if he even stays, and Jalen Lecque at point guard. Frank has shown he can play in this league.
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 11-22-2020 at 04:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    Hopefully we can sign & trade Frank Jackson to get the money right on this deal. I don’t want to lose Lonzo, Melli, or NAW as I think each will be in the rotation ready to contribute. If I couldn’t get one of those 3 then Frank would be the player I would want if I were OKC. And Frank should be happy with a 3 year deal even if it’s at the minimum. After SGA they have George Hill, if he even stays, and Jalen Lecque at point guard. Frank has shown he can play in this league.
    Very unlikely. Read my post in the other thread for reasons why

I would be cool with possibly moving Melli as long as I’m guaranteed to replace him with Dario Saric lol

Melli is a better shooter and we're kinda lacking that right now

Melli shoot better than Saric? No way. Saric shot 35.7% from 3 compared to Melli’s 33.5% while taking 29 more 3s. Saric also averaged 10.7 ppg. He would be an upgrade to Melli without a doubt, but also cost more. He’s also 3 years younger with a ton more experience

I wonder if the real Niko can be lured back to the NBA?
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 11-22-2020 at 05:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    Melli shoot better than Saric? No way. Saric shot 35.7% from 3 compared to Melli’s 33.5% while taking 29 more 3s. Saric also averaged 10.7 ppg. He would be an upgrade to Melli without a doubt, but also cost more. He’s also 3 years younger with a ton more experience

I wonder if the real Niko can be lured back to the NBA?
    Think this is less then likely. Looks like in sept he may have extended to 2024/25 > https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/09/...period%20began.

I really like Adams and I think giving up the 24th pick was totally worth it especially considering it’s a big expiring contract. I always liked his game and the video showing his passing skills made me like him even more. Saying he’s like Asik is a bit crazy.
    Going back to the pick if a player selected in the 20 becomes a player on level of Adams you should consider it a great pick so I would always pick Adams over the guy who went to Denver.

Does OKC want to keep Adams more or does Griffin want to sign him more?

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Does OKC want to keep Adams more or does Griffin want to sign him more?
    If we can?t get the required players to do a sign and trade, I?d walk away. We need to draw a line somewhere. An Adams rental is not worth it unless we plan on making another ambitious signing. We can get by with a stopgap.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    If we can?t get the required players to do a sign and trade, I?d walk away. We need to draw a line somewhere. An Adams rental is not worth it unless we plan on making another ambitious signing. We can get by with a stopgap.
    Why would this extended period now have any bearing on his position after the season finishes?

Thread Information