Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans want Steven Adams

I don’t think we could have done much better besides paying a ton for Serge Ibaka. He would of fit perfectly, but likely wouldn’t of been cheap either. That’s the move you make if you are ready to compete for a ring, but we are not quite there yet. This is a move to get better and compete for a playoff spot to get your young team some playoff experience.

We get one of the better true 7 foot centers in the game IMO. We didn’t give up much to get him other than a pick thats protected from a team that just went to the Western conference finals and looks to be getting better. And we will have an expiring $28 million coming off the books next offseason. I don’t see anything bad about this move. It was perfect just like last year when we acquired Derrick Favors for basically nothing.

I love me some David Griffin. The guy just keeps making great moves. Wish we could of gotten a better player for Jrue, but getting those picks added to the Laker picks leaves us with so many assets for the future. I think George Hill could be huge for the development of Lonzo, Kira, and NAW if he’s still on the roster this year. The future is bright with that guy running things. I just hope SVG will be the right guy for the job. He’s much better than Gentry, but anyone would be better than that bum. Wish we could of gotten Billy Donovan, but oh well
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 11-21-2020 at 05:23 AM.

Just re-watching some Adams highlights from this past year and it's great.

Like I said, I feel like people kinda underrate Adams' passing and mobility. He's good at them. He's not a 1-5 switch big or anything but if he gets matched up with a 6'7 dude for a few seconds it's not like it's the end of the world. Legitimately good vision for a centre: again, he's not Jokic, but he's a strong passing big.

Also worth noting, I don't think people realise this (you can see it a few times in that video, but then, highlights are highlights for a reason) but he's actually not quite as useless outside of the restricted area as people think when it comes to scoring. Of course, he's not some elite shooter or anything and the volume is low, but he's a career 45% shooter 3-10 feet (so that's all those little looks and floaters you see from him), and while the volume here is even smaller, he's a career 46% shooter from 10-16 feet as well. He can score without it having to be a literal dunk.
    Basketball.

I found this little nugget of wisdom earlier today

Post#86 ? by lars_rosenberg ? Today 9:29 am

It's odd to me that a rebuilding team basically traded young RJ Hampton for old Steven Adams.

The Jimmy Butler quote from the end of this is real.

''That m****f**** like, I'm serious, he hit me with one screen today and I thought my life was over. He's from Krypton or something seriously, he's strong. It's bad. Dude. I'm trying to tell you.''

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

The Jimmy Butler quote from the end of this is real.

''That m****f**** like, I'm serious, he hit me with one screen today and I thought my life was over. He's from Krypton or something seriously, he's strong. It's bad. Dude. I'm trying to tell you.''
    Adams will be the perfect mentor for Hayes

He's actually from Maine, Jimmy
    Last edited by AusPel; 11-21-2020 at 05:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I found this like nugget of wisdom earlier today
    Lol

I also want to note how funny it is that people see Steven Adams as being old when he's 27. He's like 15 months older than Giannis or something, and Giannis is a ''young'' superstar to most people. I get that he's been in the league for what feels like forever but he's not that old!

And OKC’s playoff spot is up for grabs now for sure. They have lost Adams, CP3, Schroeder, and Gallinari. And they just traded Oubre who was one of the decent players they got back in a trade.

C: Horford
    PF: Muscala
    SF: Ariza, Bazeley
    SG: Green, Dort, Justin Jackson
    PG: SGA, Quickley, Winston

I see why Billy Donovan left. Presti must of told him they were blowing it up. James Johnson was just traded to the Mavs

Hopefully the Warriors don’t get back in it either. They have a decent starting 5 with Steph, Oubre, Wiggins, Green, & Wiseman, but their bench is horrific. And Draymond may never be the guy from a few years ago.

And who knows what Houston will look like?!?!

Other than us, Phoenix should be the new Western conference team looking at a playoff spot. The Grizzlies as well

C: Ayton
    PF: Jalen Smith
    SF: Bridges, Cam Johnson
    SG: Booker
    PG: CP3

Still not the greatest starting 5 though, but they likely to add some more pieces
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 11-21-2020 at 06:16 AM.

I agree that OKC's roster is greatly reduced, but I wouldn't pencil them in for a playoff loss either. SGA is going into year 3 so we expect him to start putting the flashes together this year, and I think Horford is going to have a kind of resurgence now that he's in a better system. I like Ariza for them as well, even if he's over the hill.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they're a playoff lock or anything, but the bottom of the west is a mess right now and I wouldn't rule out almost anyone from squeaking 8th.

Edit: for Horford, I should say it's a better system for him. The Sixers were a mess of giant people last year with almost no shooting or halfcourt playmaking, which harmed everyone. Horford should be better somewhere with a more normal distribution of responsibilities and size.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 11-21-2020 at 06:00 AM.

Why?

Because for his ceiling, he improves a team just being around, in the locker room, hard nose and is going to be on the floor having his teammates back. He?s a vet winner. I?m glad we are done with these such a saint vet losers.

I agree that OKC's roster is greatly reduced, but I wouldn't pencil them in for a playoff loss either. SGA is going into year 3 so we expect him to start putting the flashes together this year, and I think Horford is going to have a kind of resurgence now that he's in a better system. I like Ariza for them as well, even if he's over the hill.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they're a playoff lock or anything, but the bottom of the west is a mess right now and I wouldn't rule out almost anyone from squeaking 8th.

Edit: for Horford, I should say it's a better system for him. The Sixers were a mess of giant people last year with almost no shooting or halfcourt playmaking, which harmed everyone. Horford should be better somewhere with a more normal distribution of responsibilities and size.
    Only thing OKC has a chance of winning is the lottery.

I actually like the move. Adams is a really good player and maybe more importantly a large expiring. He'll gladly do all the dirty work and won't stunt the development of any of our players. Honestly if there's a draw back it's that he makes us better than I think we should be aiming to be and we may lose him even if his fit is ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Only thing OKC has a chance of winning is the lottery.
    I mean, maybe. I'll be honest, I just haven't thought about it that much. My gut reaction is to be like ''didn't everyone say that OKC was going to be in the lottery last year, and then they were the 6th seed?'' but then they've shed a ton of quality players since then (CP3, Adams, for example) and have only added back question marks (Horford). So maybe I'm just overrating them. Could be!

I mean, maybe. I'll be honest, I just haven't thought about it that much. My gut reaction is to be like ''didn't everyone say that OKC was going to be in the lottery last year, and then they were the 6th seed?'' but then they've shed a ton of quality players since then (CP3, Adams, for example) and have only added back question marks (Horford). So maybe I'm just overrating them. Could be!
    And lost coach Donovan, Gallo, and Schroder. There's no incentive to win for OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    And lost coach Donovan, Gallo, and Schroder. There's no incentive to win for OKC.
    I don't think Schroeder is actually that good, but Gallo is a good point.

I know they lost Donovan, who was a pretty good coach, but I don't know anything about their new coach so I can't say whether that's a good, bad, or lateral move.

I just woke up and saw this, and here are my initial thoughts:

1) I like it quite a lot. I've said a few times on the board over the last year or so that I would quite like acquiring Adams if the cost wasn't too high, and frankly a 2023 Denver pick with lottery protections on it is not that expensive in my eyes.

2) Steven Adams is a good defender. I saw someone in the thread complaining that he only averaged 0.7 blocks a game, but that is far from indicative of defensive ability: Daniel Theis averaged fewer blocks per game than Hassan Whiteside, but Theis was the far superior defender last year, for example. Adams is a huge guy, who is exceptionally strong, who plays really good positional defense and has very good hands. He's not a top 5 defender in the NBA or anything but he is an above average defensive centre.

3) Adams is one of the best boxing-out bigs in the NBA, and given that the only person on the entire team who boxed out last year with regularity was Favors, I'm glad that we're getting someone back who is willing to do that, and who is also hopefully going to have that ability rub off on Jax.

4) Adams is a brutal screen setter, probably one of the top 5 or 10 screeners in the NBA, with a fantastic knack for angles and absurd strength. Having him with someone like Kira Lewis, who is fairly weak physically and will need some extra space in the PnR as a rookie, is a brilliant combination. The fact that Adams is also the kind of big who will happily screen far away from the ball, even up to the half court line in transition, benefits everyone on this team that excels in the full-court, including Kira, Zion, Lonzo, etc.

5) Everything I've ever heard about Adams and every interview I've ever seen tells me he's a really nice guy who is a hard worker and who doesn't complain, and who improves the culture of a locker room.

6) Adams is actually a really solid passer for a big. Obviously for most of his career this didn't get to show because he was on a team with some absurdly high usage guys like Westbrook where he never got to hold the ball for longer than a DHO, but it showed up more last year. It's encouraging.

7) Adams rolls really consistently which is huge for spacing, actually. While it's true that it would be nice if he could stretch the floor, the reality is that you can't get too hung up on one single skill like that. A big who is an elite finisher (Adams shot 74% at the rim last year, same sort of numbers as AD and Gobert) who is willing to just relentlessly roll also creates a degree of space because he drags his defenders around with him and draws help. Yes, it would be cool if he could shoot, but this isn't the end of the universe.

8) The size of the contract and the fact that it's expiring gives us a ton of options at the end of the year and going into free agency next season, which even though we are not a huge FA destination, is still something worth considering. Plus, Adams is only 27 so if we end up resigning him I'm fairly sure we'd be able to do so for a better deal than he's currently on given the general ''NBA bigs in free agency'' thing where the prices are not that high. He could easily test the market and find that nobody is willing to offer more than, say, $13m a year, and we just come in and give him $15m and then he stays or something like that.

Those are my initial thoughts. I like it.
    A little disappointed we gave up a pick for him, but beyond that I'm ok with it. Pretty much an (minor) upgrade over Favors, and an expiring contract no less. Probably better than giving Baynes/Ibaka longer deals and frees up cap space for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    A little disappointed we gave up a pick for him, but beyond that I'm ok with it. Pretty much an (minor) upgrade over Favors, and an expiring contract no less. Probably better than giving Baynes/Ibaka longer deals and frees up cap space for next year.
    We have so many picks that will more than likely be late 1st I don't think giving up one will matter. If Adams comes in and is great with Williamson and Ingram we may have our 5 for the next 4 or 5 years. If he doesn't fit we create a huge amount of cap space to go along with all the assets we already have. Win-win.

I think it's important to remember that all first round picks are not made equal. I have no issue with losing Denver's lottery protected 2023 first rounder. Their young core are all pretty much 26 years old or younger, and so will still be in their primes in 3 years time and both Jokic and Murray are under contract through 2022/23 as well. They should be a consistent playoff team over the next several years: that 2023 pick will probably end up being the #25 pick or something, and frankly I don't mind trading a late first for Steven Adams.

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    Saying he's a minor upgrade over Favors is selling the man pretty damn short

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Saying he's a minor upgrade over Favors is selling the man pretty damn short
    For real. I like Favors a lot and in Utah he was fantastic, but he struggled a lot in his year here with injuries, with mobility, even with his passing at times. If Adams translates 1-to-1 from OKC, he's a pretty large upgrade.

I love Adams' passing so much. While not in that elite echelon of passing bigs, he's very functional and makes passes like these fairly often. He uses his height well to see over defenses and has a knack for finding cutters. Something I like about his passing a lot is that he tends to really put snap on them, whipping these bounce passes really accurately, and as demonstrated on a couple of these clips, he also anticipates movement really well. There aren't that many bigs who will happily throw a pass to an empty space knowing that the cutter will be there later, but Adams does it.

Where is the emphasis here?

Is Mac suggesting Adams will struggle next year, or rather bringing crazy Kiwis/Maoris to the forefront?

Nevermind, I got it
    Last edited by AusPel; 11-21-2020 at 07:15 AM.

Hmm he's saying rental, sadly.

Always really respected Adams' game, it won't take me long to get attached I reckon

I really hate this move. I love how liquid this team was before, and I don’t get why you trade a pick for a center who is not a perfect fit. If we are sending out Bledsoe or Hill, I also think those guys should have more value on their contract than he has on his.

Quote Originally Posted by Biasvasospasm View Post
    I really hate this move. I love how liquid this team was before, and I don’t get why you trade a pick for a center who is not a perfect fit. If we are sending out Bledsoe or Hill, I also think those guys should have more value on their contract than he has on his.
    You're only thinking 'fit' in a really 1 dimensional manner.

He's a great fit in plenty more ways than the one way you're thinking

Thread Information