Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Transitioning to Free Agency...

Based on the way Detroit drafted last night, Wood isn’t going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Pels4Life View Post
    what you dont like about whiteside?
    He's historically been a locker room issue (most famously from him throwing a tantrum when Miami asked him to come off the bench) but beyond that he's actually very very bad at most things about basketball. Big number rebounder, racks up blocks because he goes for every one, but he has no idea how to defend in space, he doesn't provide anything spacing, he's a poor and reluctant passer, etc.
    Basketball.

All-Star
    I hope we can bring back Christian Wood since Detroit just traded for Dewayne Dedmond

Still wondering how Wood got out of the building. Even in the short stretch he played for us he showed the same skill set he showed in Detroit, not to mention being a perfect match up front with Zion...

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    Based on the way Detroit drafted last night, Wood isn?t going anywhere.
    Seems like he's looking forward to free agency

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Seems like he's looking forward to free agency

Of course he is. This will be his first experience of being courted since entering the league. It’s a big deal for every player and especially for a guy like wood who waited years and years for an opportunity to prove
    himself.

Dammit. I knew Tony Snell was available. I wanted him here for Bledsoe.

We are going to have to go after shooter's and bigs in free agency. Was Favor's hurt all of last season?

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post

Tony Snell is bad. Bledsoe is good.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    Still wondering how Wood got out of the building. Even in the short stretch he played for us he showed the same skill set he showed in Detroit, not to mention being a perfect match up front with Zion...
    Plus he stayed in nola working out that whole summer before going to Detroit. Team should have guaranteed him minutes. Big whiff.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Tony Snell is bad. Bledsoe is good.
    Exactly. Why would you want Snell over Bledsoe? Snell may not even get another contract besides the minimum at best.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post

What? Bledsoe for Snell? No way in heck anyone would do that.

I just heard Christian Wood's nickname is The Crucifix

Just look over last season, desperately need a big that can move and get off the ground. Favors looked like a 70 year old man in the bubble. Melli looked like a 30 year old man that just cant get up fast enough. Jaxson looked like a string bean already pushed halfway out of bounds. Okafor just didnt get minutes.

Kira helps the lead guard problem. Now that middle needs some heavy work.

Sorry to see that Suns did not pick up the option on Cheick Diallo. Hope he re-surfaces somewhere.

Austin Rivers will be available.

But he is probably old news for us

Griff should be fired on the spot if he is in trade talks with the Lakers to give them hill. ******** them

Quote Originally Posted by AtlPelsFan View Post
    Griff should be fired on the spot if he is in trade talks with the Lakers to give them hill. ******** them
    I think this is like the third or fourth time you've been like ''Griff needs to be fired if he talks to the Lakers!'' about something.

You worry far too much about them. Griff's job, as much as we might hate LA, is not to try and orchestrate their downfall. It's to get the best deals and offers for the Pelicans. If that involves dealing with the Lakers, he will deal with the Lakers.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Just look over last season, desperately need a big that can move and get off the ground. Favors looked like a 70 year old man in the bubble. Melli looked like a 30 year old man that just cant get up fast enough. Jaxson looked like a string bean already pushed halfway out of bounds. Okafor just didnt get minutes.

Kira helps the lead guard problem. Now that middle needs some heavy work.
    Quick overview of where we stand (I'm including all free agents as outgoing players until they are re-signed):

Guards: OUT: Jrue, Etwaun, Frank
    IN: Kira, Bledsoe, Hill
    HOLDOVER: Lonzo, NAW, JHart

So essentially, we have the same numbers of guards currently as we did last season. But that was when Gentry liked putting 4 guards on the floor at the same time, which killed the D. Stan Van won't do that thankfully, so I think we could see an additional wing or 2 on the roster this year. So, as many have said, I think we'll see one or more of Lonzo, Bledsoe or Hill traded at some point.

Wings: OUT: Kenrich
    IN: ??
    HOLDOVER: Ingram (technically a FA, but we all know he's not going anywhere)

Seems like the Pels have been woefully deficient of quality wings for more than a decade now. Ideally, we need to get at least two more wings on the roster next year, especially ones that can provide solid defense (Roberson, Burks, Hood, Grant, Crowder, Harkless, Hollis-Jefferson?)

Bigs: OUT: Favors, Jah
    IN: ??
    HOLDOVER: Zion, Hayes, Melli

Again, could probably use 2 more bigs on the roster, including a starting C (Baynes, Noel, Cauley-Stein, Plumlee). Don't see much in the way of good PF's on the market, so maybe we make a trade for one.

Will be interesting to track the reshaping of the roster as Griff works his magic over the next couple of weeks.

You forgot about Redick.

We have too many guards and nobody playing the 3 or big 2 guards

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    You forgot about Redick.
    Good call. Yet another guard. We really need to trade 2 guards and get more wings. Don't want to see JHart guarding the 3 or 4 spot again. Like Jrue, just not effective in the long run, no matter how much heart the kid has.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Plus he stayed in nola working out that whole summer before going to Detroit. Team should have guaranteed him minutes. Big whiff.
    I remember Joel mentioning that was Wood's plan in the final game broadcast of the season, and that Joel was "excited" to see how Wood progressed on the Pels Summer League team. Then Wood was there with the team but didn't play in a single game. Then he was gone, supposedly to make way for Melli. I really didn't understand it then and I still don't get it now. He was a super athletic big who could defend the rim on one end and step out and shoot the 3 on the other. I thought he looked great and was anticipating the Pels inking him to at least a 2-year deal (with a team option). Don't get what happened. Looks like a HUGE miss now...

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    I remember Joel mentioning that was Wood's plan in the final game broadcast of the season, and that Joel was "excited" to see how Wood progressed on the Pels Summer League team. Then Wood was there with the team but didn't play in a single game. Then he was gone, supposedly to make way for Melli. I really didn't understand it then and I still don't get it now. He was a super athletic big who could defend the rim on one end and step out and shoot the 3 on the other. I thought he looked great and was anticipating the Pels inking him to at least a 2-year deal (with a team option). Don't get what happened. Looks like a HUGE miss now...
    I agree. I thought he fit the system well and was pretty productive. My hope is we get another shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Pels4Life View Post
    I agree. I thought he fit the system well and was pretty productive. My hope is we get another shot.
    He's gonna demand way too much (probably like 14M+ per year) plus he won't put up with coming off the bench if that's where we have him.

EDIT: Just thought about it.. we COULD have him as our starting C but we'll see. I haven't watched much tape on him to know how he would fit.
    Last edited by hornetzplaya; 11-20-2020 at 09:36 AM.

Thread Information