Pelicans Report

Thread: Xavier's Naji Marshall lands with the New Orleans Pelicans

Xavier's Naji Marshall lands with the New Orleans Pelicans

I dig it.

He had really high assists numbers which is indicative of him being a smart player as a 6'7" forward. Does have to learn to hit the 3 ball
    Last edited by fullcourtpress; 11-19-2020 at 08:22 AM.

Herky jerky playmaker with length. Shot doesn't look bad. Bigger problem looks like shot selection.

A hound on defense. Players that have a clue on defense seem to be the Pelicans way. Hope this works out.

Players like him are the reason we kept Fred Vinson. If anyone can fix the shot, it’s him. Fingers crossed

I'm fine with it. He was quite turnover prone at the college level, but we wouldn't ever be asking him to be a primary playmaker so that's less of an issue that it might otherwise be. Poor shooter but good volume and shot versatility, which tells you at least something: I don't see him ever being a high level shooter but he could definitely be better than he is.
    Basketball.

Sounds like he could be a nice Kenrich Williams type on this squad. If he can fix his shot, look out.

I've said this about certain players before and it applies here...his shot doesn't need to be fixed. He should be an opposite Lonzo type guy where you'll see his % across the board improve vs college if he sticks in the league.

His shot does need to be fixed. His mechanics are inconsistent as hell.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    He is a weird one. He looks like he is totally out of control and off balance 100% of the time. These are the guys that I used to hate playing against because they would always give you an elbow to the face on their way to the basket.
    Last edited by ragincaucasian; 11-22-2020 at 11:53 AM.

I watched a bit of this guy and I like him!

First off, he has really good size and length for a small forward. He looks to be legitimately 6’7” and is listed as a 7 foot wingspan. Whether he finds a role in the NBA depends on the jumper and how his efficiency scales down to a smaller role.

I think you want him to play a 3&D role. In that setting, as a slasher and playmaker, he is overqualified. His handle and passing for size are legitimately good. He was overtasked as a primary initiator in college, but attacking close outs, maybe a bit of second side pick and roll? Sure!

I think his combination of length and lateral quickness is totally fine to guard 2-4, and he might be a plus wing defender.

So it comes down to the jumper. When I saw his percentages, I expected him to be a non-shooter, but I don’t think he is. He takes a lot of difficult shots, including long 3s, off-the-dribble and stepbacks, and shooting with that degree of confidence suggests it might come around. I think cutting out the hardest 10% of his shots in a smaller role might help. I am no shooting expert, but his shot does not look broken to me. I think his shot prep on spot ups is bad (feet aren’t always set), but Vinson really helped Ingram with that, so I think he isn’t a lost cause.

I think this is the type of player you target until you get lucky and find something, because they are really hard to find.

Barring moves in free agency (who?) he is only the second small forward-sized player on the roster, so there is a chance he plays. I wish Griff and Langdon put more resources into this position.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    He is a weird one. He looks like he is totally out of control and off balance 100% of the time. These are the guys that I used to hate playing against because they would always give you and elbow to the face on their way to the basket.
    The elbow comment made me laugh and reminded me of the times I played basketball in high school

This is probably the best 2-way prospect this team has signed in a very long time. Upside across the board, can score on all three levels.

Even if you think his shot is broken (it isn't at all), extremely good touch around the rim. Has length to get after it on defense.

No summer league really sucks.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Someone, probably MM, described him as Kentish Williams with some playmaking ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Someone, probably MM, described him as Kentish Williams with some playmaking ability.
    That seems woefully inaccurate. More like a poor man's Tyreke Evans.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    I thought I would just stick it in this thread rather than start another one.... Marshall will be someone to watch out for, but I really like the Wenyen Gabriel addition... I think we have a chance to be pleased with the way he plays the game....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Thread Information