Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Welcome Kira Lewis {merged}

Also not listening to ad for so long got us what lol left so yeah If Zion loves playing with Lonzo you keep him because you want your players happy especially if it makes sense lonzo can be the shooter that’s not just a liability because he’s an initiator and defender and a god rebounder literally the only guy that’ll be on the court that doesn’t just attract the rim that’s not that bad especially being that’s something he can adjust

Quote Originally Posted by Algiersraised View Post
    Chemistry wins championship why mess up the stuff they already been building a 66 guard with a 3pt shot very fast and throws perfect passes with the possibility in becoming an elite defender for who lol he can?t be perfect we have players to attack the rack
    You cannot be the point guard in a modern NBA offense if you can't warp the defense to create openings.

To do that you either have to be an elite pullup shooter (think Curry, Lillard here) or (the more common, and easier approach) be able to drive to collapse a defense.

Right now, Lonzo can do neither. That's why discussion around him being optimised often ends up with people suggesting that you basically use him as a wing on offense rather than a point guard: which is fine, but a 6'6 wing who is an okay spot up shooter and can only defend small wings and guards (can't guard someone like a Kawhi Leonard who is a large wing, or forward like AD) is far less valuable than a primary initiator, and therefore you can't pay up the price that Lonzo will demand *as a guard* for someone who won't return that value.

Last edited by Pelicanidae; 11-20-2020 at 01:14 PM.
    Basketball.

I have to say, I do like the idea that we have to keep Lonzo forever because he's friends with Ingram.

I wonder how that works. If we keep Lonzo around because he's friends with Ingram, then if LaMelo busts and they shop him do we have to acquire him too because he's Lonzo's brother? Do we need to sign LiAngelo to a 2 way? Is Hart also untouchable, since he's their friend? Does LaVar need an assistant coach's position? How far does it go: you're someone on the team's friend so we're obligated to keep you on the roster, apparently.

Kira
    Lonzo
    Ingram
    Zion
    Hayes

I wanna see this lineup on the break lol, and if you have to run half court put Lonzo in the corner and let Kira, Ingram, or Zion create. I actually see a ton of potential and we can scheme different ways. If we’re playing against a big slow team run them out the gym, if they’re smaller, run half court and let Ingram and Zion dominate. We’re gonna have a unique hybrid offense and outstanding defense. I love it. Lonzo plays point guard on the break or 3 and D in the half court. Utilize his strengths. It’s great

How the hell did this thread turned into a Lonzo thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    How the hell did this thread turned into a Lonzo thread.
    Cause nobody can talk about Kira without going ''AND LONZO'' for some reason, and then people respond like ''why Lonzo?'' and then the debate

With the minimum level of uselessness for Lonzo to be useful?

If he can catch and shoot around 39%, defend and disrupt, throw passes on the break and the occaisional half court pass, is that good enough?

I think it should be that’s better than a lot of what other player contribute lol ppl act like he’s Solomon hill lonzo is pretty good I’ve seen him take rebounds and outrun everybody to the rack to a layup the man said this his first time being kinda healthy look at the shot improvement so what he doesn’t slam dunk we got Ingram Zion and Kira is supposed to be an attacker so we have lonzo who can shoot and defend and handle some setting up the offense he might can’t pick and roll but he’s better than having someone who can shoot but can’t dribble can’t make solid excellent passes defend and rebound basketball is complimentary if Zion dominates the paint Ingram hart and Kira all go to the paint we can have a lonzo reddick and hill I mean he shot almost 40 percent and is a good passer who would you all rather

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    With the minimum level of uselessness for Lonzo to be useful?

If he can catch and shoot around 39%, defend and disrupt, throw passes on the break and the occaisional half court pass, is that good enough?
    Depends on the contract he demands. For $10m a year or less, sure that's probably fine. That's him as a catch and shoot wing.

If he demands primary NBA initiator money, though, then nope, that's not nearly good enough. And that's the conundrum you run into: he's been a PG his entire career, been touted as a PG, was propped up as the next Magic Johnson when he was in LA, still has hordes of drooling fanboys on social media, and has that top-3-pick hype that tends to buoy players value long after if should have dried up. So if we refuse to trade him then we're going to hit free agency and someone, God knows who, NY maybe, is going to turn around and offer him $20m a year or something. And we should definitely not match that.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 11-21-2020 at 04:29 AM.

I've (somewhat) arbitrarily set 12 mil as my comfort ceiling with Lonzo

I like Kira Lewis. Just thought I would mention that in the Kira thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I like Kira Lewis. Just thought I would mention that in the Kira thread
    I like Lewis. He fell to the perfect environment to thrive abd reach his ceiling.

This kid shows up early I could see lonzo moving into jury's role as a 2 guard who might get 8 assists a game.

What about bledsoe? Comes off the bench for that salary? Maybe bledsoe turns into a good pg and something else.

Lewis
    Lonzo/naw
    Bi/hart
    Zion/melli
    Adams/hayes

If we move bledsoe we could use players and not just picks.

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    This kid shows up early I could see lonzo moving into jury's role as a 2 guard who might get 8 assists a game.

What about bledsoe? Comes off the bench for that salary? Maybe bledsoe turns into a good pg and something else.

Lewis
    Lonzo/naw
    Bi/hart
    Zion/melli
    Adams/hayes

Bledsoe still a better player than all of our guards. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post

Lewis
    Lonzo/naw
    Bi/hart
    Zion/melli
    Adams/hayes

Did something happen to JJ that I am unaware of?

Aaaand the Kira thread is derailed again

Very excited for Kira. It would be awesome if he proves to be some savant ready for starter NBA minutes next year, but that is quite a tall order. With the drafting of Kira and with Lonzo's new agent it makes me think Grif is preparing for Lonzo's possible future departure.

It will be interesting to see which of NAW or Kira rises to the opportunities they are presented with, though NAW can be more of a combo guard.

So I am assuming BI or Bledsoe will just be running the point in half court, since Lonzo immediately becomes a 2 if the opponent's half-court D is set:

5: Adams
    4: Zion
    3: BI
    2: Bledsoe/Reddick
    1: Lonzo

Thought to put this here. Lewis did play against Morant 2 seasons ago. Now Morant was a 19 yr old sophomore and Lewis was a 17 yr old freshman. SEVENTEEN.

Morant dominated with 38 points...in an L. Not even sure if Lewis was starting back then.

They look like the exact same size wise. Interesting since Lewis has gotten marked for being too skinny.

Last edited by luckyman; 11-23-2020 at 12:16 AM.

Lewis was the leading scorer for Bama in that game with 20 points.

Yep, I've said multiple times that Kira ran a good SEC offense at the age of 17 and that therefore despite being a sophomore he's actually only freshman age. That's why when people say that he's definitely gotta be third in the PG rotation while he bulks up or gains experience or something, I just don't buy it: he was technically a multi-year college guy, and while he definitely needs to gain muscle and strength, he's played against tons of college guys in college while being younger than them and still managed it.

To respond a bit to luckyman, Kira was indeed starting: in fact, he started every game in his freshman season despite being only 17, and averaged 32mpg. During that season, he put up 14/2/3 on 43/36/78 shooting (taking 8 threes a game), and managed a positive AST:TO ratio. Yes, his age showed a bit - he's talked about that enough in interviews that I don't feel harsh saying it - and he sometimes played out of control or in a naive fashion that got him in trouble. But for a 17 year old, that's still wild.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    Lewis was the leading scorer for Bama in that game with 20 points.
    All things considered...thats impressive in a W.

I believe Morant took damn near 30 shots to get those 38 points. Not bothering to look it up. Sleep deprived as it is...enough for today.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Has anyone ever gone from being too skinny and had like a growth spurt or packed on the muscle and didn’t lose something else to their game?

Thread Information