Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Draft Day Winners And Losers

Draft Draft Day Winners And Losers

Who ya guys got, I think we're in deep enough at this point to start the discussion.

I'll go first:

Winners:

Hawks
    Pelicans
    Thunder
    Spurs
    Nuggets

Losers:
    Knicks
    Suns
    Celtics

Not sure about the sun's taking an L. I actually like the Jalen Smith pick. HOWEVER.... Danny Ainge BOMBED this draft. I dunno what the hell the Celtics were doing

We did fine. I like Kira but I think there was value to be had later that we could have used, that we deferred. Will have to see what other moves we make with trades to know my final verdict.

Grizzlies and Philly won big imo.

Boston wet themselves and the Knicks Knicks'd.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    Not sure about the sun's taking an L. I actually like the Jalen Smith pick. HOWEVER.... Danny Ainge BOMBED this draft. I dunno what the hell the Celtics were doing
    Yeah, I'm incredibly disappointed in the Celtics, who have historically drafted fairly well under Ainge. I get this is a particularly hard draft to evaluate, but Nesmith at 14? Payton Prichard? yikes

I wouldn't call us a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Nor me. Definitely not losers either though. Kira is a strong pick, but value was lost at 24 and 39 imo, even if 42 is whatever. Not mistakes per se, but certainly could have had better outcomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Yep. Asterisk on that one for the moment. Lewis landed about where he was expected and we didn’t really address many of our needs in the draft. To be continued

A lot of people may like the entertaining small ball stuff. When it comes to the playoffs good half-court teams win. We don't have anyone that can bang with joker or AD. Zion is too small, BI is too weak and DF can barely move. Hayes is too young.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmieZ View Post
    A lot of people may like the entertaining small ball stuff. When it comes to the playoffs good half-court teams win. We don't have anyone that can bang with joker or AD. Zion is too small, BI is too weak and DF can barely move. Hayes is too young.
    We are not even yet in year 2 of a rebuild.

Philly hit this one out of the stadium. Those guys can’t do anything but win a title or Morey and Rivers will be considered massive failures.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Philly hit this one out of the stadium. Those guys can’t do anything but win a title or Morey and Rivers will be considered massive failures.
    Turns out that Morey is at least fairly good at optimising rosters around stars. Weird, huh.

Knicks are actually getting good reviews but hat is nothing new. Wonder what they do with Randle now?

I smell a trade or two

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I smell a trade or two
    You probably should get a covid test, because you probably can't smell.

What do trades smell like? I lost my sense of smell in a tragic nose hair shaving accident. Several people died.

All-Star
    So far I would say the Pels lost in the draft. We only kept one of our draft picks with so many holes to fill on our team. I have a feeling the Pels aren't finished making moves but from what I've seen so far I think we took a step backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG_CITY_BOI View Post
    So far I would say the Pels lost in the draft. We only kept one of our draft picks with so many holes to fill on our team. I have a feeling the Pels aren't finished making moves but from what I've seen so far I think we took a step backwards.
    Apparently the front office addressed the gaps in roster in the after draft press conference. Trades were mentioned as options.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG_CITY_BOI View Post
    What players in this draft do you think could have filled those holes?

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    What players in this draft do you think could have filled those holes?
    I can't give you a name because I didn't watch enough college basketball last season. But from what I saw the Pels I can say we needed a big and a bigger wing defender.

I posted this in the psychology thread but it fits the discussion here. If I were looking at this as a competing team this season, yeah, this draft would frustrate me, too. But after this draft and the Jrue trade, I am taking the philosophical approach of "now this truly IS a full on rebuild" to the season. I think the plan is to develop as many players as we can for a few seasons and then, like around 2023 to 2024, see who developed. Maybe Lonzo busted but Kira is a stud. Hayes flops but the stretch big we draft next season is solid....we make that the core pieces to our contention run. Meanwhile, we're stockpiling draft picks so that in that season we can start using them to fetch the pieces that didn't develop.

So the next few seasons will not be complete teams made to reach the finals. I'm throwing that out of my head. It's about development. Building a culture and growing the players. Preparing my mind for this to make the seasons less frustrating....

Kira, Ball, BI, Zion, Hayes, Hart, JJ, NAW, and Melli should be an absolutely fun team.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Pelicans bombed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post

So the next few seasons will not be complete teams made to reach the finals.
    This is exactly what a lot of people don't seem to be getting that's actually extremely important. I keep seeing people on here, on Twitter, on instagram, etc, look at given picks or trade moves or whatever and say ''how does this help us now?'' or ''how does X player fit with Y player, long term?'' and that is really not the point.

I'll give an example. Immediately after we drafted Kira, twitter was inundated with ''how does Kira fit with Lonzo?''

The answer is, who cares? The only players we have long term investment in right now are Zion and to a slightly lesser extent Ingram. If Kira is fantastic for us but ends up not fitting at all with Lonzo it doesn't matter because we can just move Lonzo in time, it really doesn't matter. We have no requirement to make drafting or trade decisions around Lonzo Ball.

The same is true elsewhere as well. Don't ask how any given trade helps us win next year, because that's not the point. Ask how the moves we make add up towards long term winning in the future.

I'll lean towards us 'winning' in this draft simply because Kira was a great pick at #13 IMO and we kicked the can down the road on the other picks so no real loss there.

Wizards will be happy with Deni @ #9
    Golden State filled their biggest need with the #2 pick so you gotta call that a win.
    I think the Spurs had a really solid draft too.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    I'll lean towards us 'winning' in this draft simply because Kira was a great pick at #13 IMO and we kicked the can down the road on the other picks so no real loss there.

Wizards will be happy with Deni @ #9
    Golden State filled their biggest need with the #2 pick so you gotta call that a win.
    I think the Spurs had a really solid draft too.
    Nah, Golden State's pick wasn't great. They had the #2 pick, could have had the best, most playoff-ready big who fits all of their historical offensive and defensive tendencies in Onyeka Okongwu, and they picked the dude who can only really defend in a drop and who isn't a strong enough passer to really play their preferred offense. Really bland move imo

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Nah, Golden State's pick wasn't great. They had the #2 pick, could have had the best, most playoff-ready big who fits all of their historical offensive and defensive tendencies in Onyeka Okongwu, and they picked the dude who can only really defend in a drop and who isn't a strong enough passer to really play their preferred offense. Really bland move imo
    Hmmm, I see your point but I think the Warriors are accustomed to playing Green at C situationally so it won't slow them down much and gives them another dynamic we haven't really seen before in their Curry era. Happy to he wrong but I think Wiseman really works for them here and now.

Thread Information