Pelicans Report

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32

Thread: Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I'm to the point of passing out from lack of sleep so it may be me but I'm not following what you're asking and you quoted my joke on how long it's going to take to sus out the trades so I'm a little more lost.

I do believe that there is some merit to every psychological approach. I'm very eclectic. Started out mostly CBT and family systems therapy but have slowly moved into dialectical behavioral therapy and my main one. Everything has a place and purpose.

Except for psychoanalysis and psychodynamics. It's trash. Only used for the worried well. Lol
    I was responding to the comparison to the election. Probably on the wrong page with you. I guess you can take what I said with a grain, but it is how I view things. I never use the psychodynamic stuff and lean to CBT or straight behavior therapy with kids. But i want to be be drivin more by empicial results and not philosophically.

Why is there a psychology/therapy discussion in a draft thread??

I agree. I think we agree if I'm reading you right. And yeah, the election thing was a wise crack and how long it takes to do these trades.

Ok.

Sorry for the diatribes, everybody.

After this draft and the Jrue trade, I am taking the philosophical approach of "now this truly IS a full on rebuild" to the season. I think the plan is to develop as many players as we can for a few seasons and then, like around 2023 to 2024, see who developed. Maybe Lonzo busted but Kira is a stud. Hayes flops but the stretch big we draft next season is solid....we make that the core pieces to our contention run. Meanwhile, we're stockpiling draft picks so that in that season we can start using them to fetch the pieces that didn't develop.

So the next few seasons will not be complete teams made to reach the finals. I'm throwing that out of my head. It's about development. Building a culture and growing the players. Preparing my mind for this to make the seasons less frustrating....

Kira, Ball, BI, Zion, Hayes, Hart, JJ, NAW, and Melli should be an absolutely fun team.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 11-19-2020 at 12:26 AM.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Wonder what trades and free agents we?re looking at? Wonder if Lonzo is involved
    Did not read through entire thread, so may already be in here, but there was a report that Baynes was possibly headed to Pelicans in free agency (KOC though).

Whoa!

More importantly, does Giannis sign a max now that Bogi done head faked and going into free agency?

I guess it doesnt matter. As long as the Bucks implosion happens by 2024/2025.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Did not read through entire thread, so may already be in here, but there was a report that Baynes was possibly headed to Pelicans in free agency (KOC though).

Would be a nice pickup for the MLE.

I think we can compete with this lineup...

PG: Ball/Hill/Lewis
    SG: Bledsoe/Redick/NAW
    SF: Ingram/Hart
    PF: Zion/Melli/Kenrich Williams
    C: Baynes/Hayes

We still need some combo forward depth, maybe re-sign Kenrich Williams

Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Would be a nice pickup for the MLE.

I think we can compete with this lineup...

PG: Ball/Hill/Lewis
    SG: Bledsoe/Redick/NAW
    SF: Ingram/Hart
    PF: Zion/Melli/Kenrich Williams
    C: Baynes/Hayes

We still need some combo forward depth, maybe re-sign Kenrich Williams
    I would rather trade Hill, D miller, and some 1st rounders for Adams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    I would rather trade Hill, D miller, and some 1st rounders for Adams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’d pass on that. We should get a 1st rounder just for taking Adams contract off of OKC.

Transcription of SVG's press conference:

How involved were you in the draft process and what will this year's shortened timeline affect the season?

''I wasn't involved in the process. I wasn't here very long, and I hadn't watched college games during the year: Griff and Trajan kept me informed and I knew very early on that they loved Kira, that much I knew, but I wasn't making recommendations or anything else. I'm trying to get a staff hired, get the system in, meet with our players, and all of that. I knew they loved him and I'm excited o coach him. It's a challenging environment for a rookie because Kira's not gonna get summer league, he's not going to get individual work in the summer to get acclimated to the staff, it's a challenging environment. But I expect he's going to come in, compete very hard for playing time, we'll see what will happen and he'll learn.

The better part for a guy like Kira is that with a new coaching staff, everything is going to be new to everybody, so it's not like these guys have played 3 or 4 years in the system and you're trying to catch up. It's gonna be new to everybody, so in that way he's not as far behind as he might be.''

Thoughts on Kira and Lonzo sharing the floor?

''I think if you really look around the NBA, one of the trends we're seeing for teams is to try to get multiple playmakers on the floor. A lot of guys who can make plays, and I think Lonzo's there and we've had Brandon there, we're excited about NAW there, and now Kira. There's gonna be a lot of times with 2 guys that you would call point guards but you can play them together and we've seen some teams like OKC this past year, had three point guards in their closing lineup in CP3, SGA, and Schroder. So it's get playmakers on the floor, you might give up some size although with Lonzo we don't, just let them go out there and make plays for each other.''

How important was it to get a pg with Kira's skills?

''I'm excited about his speed and quickness, both in transition to push the ball and to get in the paint to make plays. I'm also really excited about what we think he can do defensively to pressure the ball, maybe even get up the floor sometimes, so that point is something I'm excited about. Then, something people aren't really talking about, I've had some people around the NBA into scouting tell me, three different people tell me, he's really an underrated shooter too. His ability to get in the paint is sort of the thing you think about with him, but don't let anybody tell you he can't shoot.''

How active do you think you'll be in trades and free agency?

''When it comes to NBA players Griff and Trajan ask my opinions on all of those guys, how does this guy fit, compare these guys. With those guys I'll have more input, more say, but one of the reasons I was so attracted to this job is that I think Griff and Trajan are good at what they do, I trust them on personnel. When they ask my opinion I give it, but it's their decision on trades and free agencies, I have trust in that, and what it allows me to do is to spend 90% of my time on meeting with my coaches, starting to really come together on how we want to look on the floor. I'll give opinions but I'm just putting my trust in those guys, that's one of the things that excited me about this job.''

Have you met the players yet, and what have you tried to communicate to them?

''Yeah I don't know if there's anyone other than some free agents that I haven't met yet. Well, I haven't met Melli, because he's in Italy, and while my wife thought that was the trip we should take and she encouraged that, I don't think we can make that trip right now. I've talked about this with guys, a lot of what this season's gonna be about, is that it's about adaptability. It's not gonna be what it has been: I don't care if it's you guys or me, if you're gonna complain because it's not what the season should be, if it's not as much fun because there's not enough people in the building, you can have that self pity but you'll never be ready to play. This season is going to be different, we don't know what the rules are going to be, at times you might have somebody test positive then they quarantine and you're gonna lose them. Every day it's going to be different. For us to be good, we are going to have to be ready to compete anytime, any place, under any conditions. I have said that already and I will continue to because that's the reality. I'm not going to make excuses for myself or the coaching staff, it's cliche now, but it is what it is and we have to approach it that way.

We got training camp dates today! We didn't know yesterday what we could do. That's the way it is. We've gotta be ready on the day they say we can start.''

''I'm excited to be here, I'm excited with the players, I'm excited about my staff, I'm excited about living in New Orleans, and I'm excited to get started with camp.''
    Basketball.

Kira's Presser

This year was a new system at Alabama, it was fast, how did you feel in that system?

''I felt very comfortable playing as fast as I could, trying to score with pace getting the best shot we could. I felt comfortable because coach told us that it simulates a lot of what the NBA is like so I got familiar with it and it helped me a lot.''

You talked about your game compared to Fox, what makes you similar and what makes you unique?

''Speed number one, being able to create for my teammates. What makes me unique is that I can do a bit of everything. I feel like I'm overall better than any guard in the draft and I feel like bringing that to the Pelicans will be a good thing.''

Some people have said you added some weight in the offseason, how important was that for you? What are you working on to improve?

''It was a big plus for the situation I'm going into. I have to say what I've been working on is being a better pick and roll player, making reads, and getting better on the defensive end to be the most complete player that I can be for the situation.''

What were your thoughts after interview with the Pelicans?

''It was a laid back conversation, as well as them getting to learn me I felt it was one of my best workouts. They showed me a lot of things to work on to help my and me game, just making different passes with the left hand, finishing through contact, pretty much the things a point guard has to do to be good in this league.''

How do you think you improved as a sophomore in college?

''I think my ballhandling got better, I was making better reads, playing slow and fast, the euro to avoid charges, my defense got better. I think I got better in every aspect, but I know I'm going to a more challenging league so I want to improve even more on those things.''

When you look at the location, is this a good fit?

''This is a great fit, the playstyle, the youth they have. New Orleans is a great city that loves basketball, so I feel like this is a great situation I'm going into and I couldn't be more happy.''

I saw a tweet from one of the student managers and they said New Orleans was a team you liked, what made you want to be here?

''Pretty much as I said the young core guys, they like to compete and get out and run, play above the rim. The city is great, they come out and support, and I feel like I could come out. He definitely did tell me, the 13th pick the Pelicans select Kira Lewis, and I guess I got lucky and when I get off the call he'll be the first to contact me because he's a Pelicans fan.''

Did you know in advance that you were going to end up here?

''Talking to them, I felt like they liked my game a lot and when the trades happened I feel like it fit well for me, they may need another guard as a backup, when Jrue Holiday left, and from what I saw the experts say I felt like New Orleans would be a destination for me to go to. I felt it would be a great situation when I thought about it, and I'm glad I'm here.''

In hearing you talk about liking the Pelicans style, it gives the impression you feel like we're built a certain way even with the new coach?

''I don't know how we'll play with the new coach but from watching last year and the years before they played freely, wanted to get out and get easy opportunities. I don't know how we'll play with Van Gundy coming in, but I'm pretty sure he comes in with a great knowledge on how he wants to play and I know he knows what he's doing.''

One thing he said was about how the team needs to improve defensively, could you touch on that?

''I want to get defensively better myself, just watching a lot of film, getting the upper hand on your opponent knowing his tendencies and being able to anticipate was one of my biggest components on the defensive end.''

I wonder if Avery Johnson still lives close by. Almost destiny that he already has a relationship with one of the most solid nba point guards, who happens to be a new orleanian and his ex college coach.

Thread Information