Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread

NBA Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread

We're a few hours away (4, by my count?) but I thought rather than a speculative thread or a draft scouting thread, it would be a good time to put up the official thread for everyone when the actual thing is going down. Last year's was very fun and successful, obviously us getting Zion made it a whole thing followed by the ATL trade giving us a bunch of other picks, and this year there's every chance of a draft-day-deal going down again.

I, for one, will be watching the Prep2Pro Draft livestream alongside being in the thread, having my Woj alerts on (can't wait to find out who we've ''zeroed in on'' this year), and being in here. Looking forward to an exciting night.
    Basketball.

I am here debating Maxey vs. Vassell. I think there is a world both are on the board at 13 and I dont know which one I will want most (before Griff breaks my heart and takes Bey or Jalen Smith, of course)

But for those brief few minutes, I will be debating back and forth.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I am here debating Maxey vs. Vassell. I think there is a world both are on the board at 13 and I dont know which one I will want most (before Griff breaks my heart and takes Bey or Jalen Smith, of course)

It's a tough choice. Both would be players I'd be very happy with.

I swear if Maxey, Vassell, and Poku are all on the board somehow at 13 and Griff takes Saddiq Bey, I'm going to take up black magic just to lay a curse on Griff so that he can never find his glasses again.

Merry Festivus everyone

Is there really a guy called Travelin Queen?

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Is there really a guy called Travelin Queen?
    There is indeed.

Another great name in this year's draft is Lamine Diane, pronounced ''La-mean Juh-nay''

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    There is indeed.

Another great name in this year's draft is Lamine Diane, pronounced ''La-mean Juh-nay''
    He is no Jay Scrubb

Mike, what's the insider intel on pick 1?

Should I cash out my Melo bet?

I see us possibly having 3 picks in the teens. The likely outcome of getting 6 seems to be pretty fruitless.

His (Maxey) comparison is George Hill lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsU1gjmoYQg

He is no Jay Scrubb
    Perhaps not, but Jay Scrub is no Tres Tinkle either, so it all works out.

Honorable mentions to Breein Tyree and Justinian Jessup

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post

Player comps are bad and anyone who makes them in earnest should feel bad.

He's also not that much like George Hill.

Devin Durrant says hi

How do y’all feel about moving up for Obi Toppin? Or maybe staying put and getting Cole Anthony?

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post

I could see Maxey being like prime Hill on defense. I dont see the comp AT ALL on offense. Maxey has explosion and is a creative, skilled finisher. Maybe George Hill defense and half court creator with the ability to explode as a scorer like Lou Williams

Quote Originally Posted by jawznola View Post
    How do y’all feel about moving up for Obi Toppin? Or maybe staying put and getting Cole Anthony?
    Do not move up for Obi Toppin. In fact, if Obi Toppin is there are 13, don't draft him anyway. He's one of the oldest players in the class and is just horrific defensively. I would rather take Wiseman and my views on Wiseman aren't exactly glowing either.

Cole would be a decent pick at 13, I'd be okay with it, but he wouldn't be my first preference.

Do not move up for Obi Toppin. In fact, if Obi Toppin is there are 13, don't draft him anyway. He's one of the oldest players in the class and is just horrific defensively. I would rather take Wiseman and my views on Wiseman aren't exactly glowing either.

Cole would be a decent pick at 13, I'd be okay with it, but he wouldn't be my first preference.
    Has there been any new report on Wiseman or workouts?

Are we still the same on his report... horrible positioning/ feet work on defense, Too much shot block hunting, provide little spacing, etc...
    Last edited by Taker597; 11-18-2020 at 04:14 PM.

Toppin is just ew. A little less ew than Bey

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Has there been any new report on Wiseman or workouts?

Are is still the same... horrible positioning/ feet work on defense, Too much shot block hunting, provide little spacing, etc...
    I still believe all that to be true, yes. I've heard that he interviewed fairly well in a few places, but of course I was not privy to what was actually said.

PD Web actually put out a great piece a couple of days ago comparing him, Onyeka, and Tillman on defense that was a really good read, I'll put the link here in case you're interested. Tons of clips in it as well:

docs.google.com/document/d/182XesIPXmkYpY_BwjAuKx8lCU8Sr_T3dVXDKnAAZxIY/edit?usp=sharing

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Toppin is just ew. A little less ew than Bey
    His name rubs me the wrong way as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    His name rubs me the wrong way as well.

Lol... Mackey is a good pickup too... It should be interesting to see what we do seeing that there’s a new coach coming in and we know Didi may be coming down too. Also, where do you guys see Frank Jackson and NAW if we draft another guard? Seems like we’re so heavy in that position.

Quote Originally Posted by jawznola View Post
    Lol... Mackey is a good pickup too... It should be interesting to see what we do seeing that there’s a new coach coming in and we know Didi may be coming down too. Also, where do you guys see Frank Jackson and NAW if we draft another guard? Seems like we’re so heavy in that position.
    Didi is not coming over from this year.

Frank Jackson is a free agent and I see no reason to resign him, same with Etwaun Moore.

Didi is not coming over from this year.

Frank Jackson is a free agent and I see no reason to resign him, same with Etwaun Moore.
    We'll re-sign Moore if we stash draft picks and sign latter ones to two-ways

I hate it for Obi he seems like a good dude. I am in agreement though. In a vacuum Obi might be better than a lot of the guys we are debating. However, his defensive limitations are just too much to overlook. You can not sustain an NBA level defense playing him at the 5, and for him to have value when he is on the court he would have to be your 1st or 2nd option offensively otherwise his usage rate isn’t enough to account for his defensive liabilities. For us in particular we do not want Obi taking away touches from Zion and BI. You might be able to make some money betting on him to win rookie of the year if he goes to a trash team, i.e. Detroit. He would put up big numbers there.

Quote Originally Posted by bogiesfedora View Post
    I hate it for Obi he seems like a good dude. I am in agreement though. In a vacuum Obi might be better than a lot of the guys we are debating. However, his defensive limitations are just too much to overlook. You can not sustain an NBA level defense playing him at the 5, and for him to have value when he is on the court he would have to be your 1st or 2nd option offensively otherwise his usage rate isn’t enough to account for his defensive liabilities. For us in particular we do not want Obi taking away touches from Zion and BI. You might be able to make some money betting on him to win rookie of the year if he goes to a trash team, i.e. Detroit. He would put up big numbers there.
    He's kind of like Enes Kanter. I know I just said player comps are awful, and they are, but I'm not comparing them in terms of play-style or skillset, just in terms of their implications on a team. Talented scorers (even if they score in different ways) who are dreadful on defense (even though they're dreadful in different ways) who sadly play the most defensively important position in the NBA and therefore can't provide value in any pressure situations because they give up every point they produce on the other end regardless of the visually impressive points per game and fg%.

Obviously they're very different players, since Toppin can shoot and pass a little whereas Kanter is the superior offensive rebounder, and they're bad on D for different reasons: Kanter because he's got the defensive feel of a traffic cone and Toppin because his hips are approximately 87% up on his body, stiffer than rawhide, and he has awful footwork and balance.

Totally agree though, if he goes somewhere that just lets him take 20 shots a game he could easily average 20 as a rookie. It would be an empty 20 that derails an offense, and the defense would be dreadful, but it would make the casuals go wild.

Thread Information