Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Truncated Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    I guess we can use him to move up in the draft..
    Lonzo + 13 for #7? Come on Detroit, you know you want to.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Lonzo + 13 for #7? Come on Detroit, you know you want to.
    Honestly... I'd check on the mental health of who ever approves that.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Honestly... I'd check on the mental health of who ever approves that.
    It's Detroit, they don't make good decisions.

It's the same principle withe Knicks. We all know they wanted LaMelo: at #8, they're probably not going to have that chance, but they can have the next best thing. Lonzo + 24 for #8.

It's Fletch so y'know, Fletch, but this plays into what some people expect in terms of more moves.

Remember this? I can think of a team that might have some veteran guards on it.

It's Fletch so y'know, Fletch, but this plays into what some people expect in terms of more moves.
    Yes, that's right - I want a bigger Fish!

Its kind of wild that for the second consecutive year we're coming in with a wildly different team.

Last year, we started the season with
    - The Lakers trade guys coming in: Ingram, Lonzo both brand new starters, and Hart brand new backup guy.
    - Favors and Redick both new acquisitions, both immediate new starters.
    - Jax, Zion, and NAW: Jax ended up playing in the most games of any player for our team up until the all-star break, due to injury stuff. NAW didn't play much, but still. Zion's injury had him missing most of the year.

Just a complete change from the prior year.

Now, coming into this year
    - Jrue's gone, has been converted into Bledsoe and Hill + picks: God knows if either of those guys are still here come opening night
    - Favors, Frank, Kenrich, Moore, Okafor all free agents: there's a change that none of them come back. I'd be surprised if more than three of them did.
    - Brand new coach and as a result, a newly refreshed coaching staff.
    - There's going to be at least one first round pick, in all likelihood.

Just very different teams each year.

Please. My heart. I can't

Obviously it sucks to lose Jrue, but IMO, this isn't it. He's not keeping all of those picks. There's someone out there Griffin and Langdon have their eyes on. It's just a matter of waiting for the right moment.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDavis1022 View Post
    Obviously it sucks to lose Jrue, but IMO, this isn't it. He's not keeping all of those picks. There's someone out there Griffin and Langdon have their eyes on. It's just a matter of waiting for the right moment.
    It's about the options. They may have their eyes on someone in particular, they may not, but the point is that when someone or something does come up that they want, it's very helpful to have the assets available to go and get it.

Let's say that, for example, next season goes disastrously for the Suns and Devin Booker decides he wants out: he can't takes it no more, he tells ya.

Well, Griff didn't make this trade today knowing that would happen, but because he made this trade, he's prepared for it when it does, and he can go to Phoenix and say ''listen, I'll give you X and Y, and five first round picks to get it done'', and he'd be able to do that without *any* of those first round picks being our own! That's the value of being prepared and stashing assets during the early stages of a retool like ours.

Kind of unsure exactly what to think about the Bucks at this point.

On the one hand, their starting five: Jrue, Bogdanovic, Middleton, Giannis, Brook Lopez.

4 of those guys are high tier defenders: like, top 5 at position defenders. 3 of them are elite shooters. At least 3 of them can do some self creation. That starting 5 is just brilliant. Tons of size, tons of scoring, tons of defense, good passing all around. Only one sub-par defender, you can live with that.

The problem is that they now have basically no bench whatsoever, and no real means of acquiring more quality depth through trade. So their team will be like:

- Giannis
    - Jrue
    - Brook
    - Middleton
    - Bogdan
    - J. James
    - Thanasis Antetokoumpo
    - 7 minimum contracts.

So that's 7 guys, and at least one of them is not really an NBA player. Those minimum contracts are going to have to do a lot of heavy lifting. It's possible, of course, Lebron and AD just won a ring with a sub-par supporting cast, but it increases the pressure massively on the starters. Especially when the playoffs hit: Budenholzer's biggest flaw is that he doesn't like to just play his best players together a lot. Last year, there were games where the Bucks starters played a total of 2 minutes together in the 4th quarter of those Heat playoff games.

With the construction of this team, that just has no chance of working. He will need to put heavy minutes on all of the starters, and play them together a lot. He hates doing that. Will he?

They can bring guys back too. They can re-sign Robin, Connaughton, and Wes Matthews They can use the taxpayer MLE. And I am sure they can get some ring chasers that are better than the average minimum contract guy.

They should be able to put together a deep enough roster this year to win it. But I just dont get how they keep it all together long term. Lets say Giannis signs the supermax. Jrue's agent is gonna ask for the max or very close, knowing Milwaukee cant just let him walk after paying that much for him. Just between Giannis, Lopez, Bogdan, Middleton, and Jrue in '21-'22, they could be at 140 mil. It is unsustainable, and they just gave up their cheap young talent and their picks. So even if Giannis re-signs, this still all falls apart at some point eventually. And the picks are far enough out that we will benefit when they do.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    They can bring guys back too. They can re-sign Robin, Connaughton, and Wes Matthews They can use the taxpayer MLE. And I am sure they can get some ring chasers that are better than the average minimum contract guy.

They should be able to put together a deep enough roster this year to win it. But I just dont get how they keep it all together long term. Lets say Giannis signs the supermax. Jrue's agent is gonna ask for the max or very close, knowing Milwaukee cant just let him walk after paying that much for him. Just between Giannis, Lopez, Bogdan, Middleton, and Jrue in '21-'22, they could be at 140 mil. It is unsustainable, and they just gave up their cheap young talent and their picks. So even if Giannis re-signs, this still all falls apart at some point eventually. And the picks are far enough out that we will benefit when they do.
    There's some truth to that, but is RoLo coming back? He opted out of $5m, and Wes opted out of $2.7m. If those guys did that for any reason in particular - maybe they see their value being higher on the open market, which I can certainly see being true for Wes - they can't bring them all back.

I agree about the final thing. It's 3 picks guaranteed with 2 swaps. Now, as far as I've seen, we know that the first pick is this years #24, but the other two are unknown: it's possible that they're as far out as 2025 and 2027.

If that's the case, Giannis would be 31 by the time the first one hits, 33 for the second one. Lopez will likely be retired, or on the last of his legs: Jrue will be in a similar boat, floating around 36 years old during that span of time. That is, no longer ''lynchpin pieces on championship contenders'', most likely. Given that they've given away all their picks, and they don't have a ton of loose contracts anymore to work with, there's no clear way for them to improve during this time period either, unless they end up flipping Jrue for pieces later or something, and that just makes them worse in the short term anyway. The odds are that 5 years from now, the Bucks will be bad: they're fine with that, it seems, because they're accepting that now in the hopes of securing a ring or two now.

But it does mean that regardless of how good they are for 20/21, or 21/22, by the time the picks start rolling around they should be bad. Or at least on the downswing while we're on the upswing, which should mean those picks will be better than ours even if they're not stellar, and therefore worth the swaps and the value.

It's a good trade for us.

And of course a shallower team makes injury a much larger worry. I wouldn't really call anyone on that team injury 'prone' (yes, Jrue has had issues in the past but he's been just minor stuff really for a few years now) but anything can happen and if you're heavily relying on just dominating with a starting 5 and just winging it with the scrap-heap bench, you feel it a lot more when one of your guys goes down than a team which might have a slightly weaker starting 5 but a more robust backup unit.

You would always opt out of those deals. If you go back to Milwaukee, you can get a 20% raise over last year, as opposed to a 5% raise that came with the limits of the CBA. Even if you had no desire to go anywhere else, you would opt out of that deal every time

Who is this? Any reason to believe he is talking about Pelicans or just NBA in general?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Who is this? Any reason to believe he is talking about Pelicans or just NBA in general?
    Just the NBA in general. He works for The Athletic.

Yeah, after the AD trade, most of us were certain LAL would fall apart because they couldn't put a roster around AD and LeBron. Ring chasing in the NBA is intense.

But lol at Houston.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Anybody else like to see us take a run at Christian Wood in Free Agency?

(Don't be surprised if he doesn't end up in LA)

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Anybody else like to see us take a run at Christian Wood in Free Agency?

(Don't be surprised if he doesn't end up in LA)
    I miss Christian 2k, we shouldn't have let him go in the first place. Dude was AD lite lol

Something's going down

Something's going down
    Is this like when you ask the teacher for an extension on the deadline for your assignment?

Something's going down
    Bledsoe makes so much sense for Boston, specifically if the Harden to Brooklyn stuff is true. There's nowhere to hide Kemba in a Brooklyn playoff series in crunch time; but Bledsoe, Tatum, Brown would absolutely compete.

Thread Information