Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Truncated Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    If it makes you feel any better about trading Jrue, just go watch many games where he makes boneheaded turnovers or bad shots in clutch situations and his great defense equals a net negative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Or when playing another good team, their big 3 scores 80 points while Jrue checks in with 8 points, 1 steal, and 0 free throws on 4 - 15 shooting.

The time to use Jrue's talent and contract to help fill some of the remaining holes on this team in a trade is now.

And while he is a great guy and two-way player, this team doesn't "owe" him anything than his money and a thank you letter. See the first sentence. And it certainly doesn't need to help some other team get a title by trading him their way. He gets traded to whomever offers the best assets, even if that be Atlanta.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I?m hoping we can get Williams in this draft and with a lower pick land Tre Jones. I would make a trade for a shot at getting Jones in the 20s. He?s going to be a solid pg in this league imo.

We have to build this team through the draft. There are good players in this draft. A few guys are going to be special.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    If it makes you feel any better about trading Jrue, just go watch many games where he makes boneheaded turnovers or bad shots in clutch situations and his great defense equals a net negative.

Breaking News: Good offensive third option and defensive wing asked to defend 3+ players at once while everyone else just sits and spins, while simultaneously being asked to run the entire halfcourt offense and score 20+ every night is sometimes stretched too thin

Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    I?m hoping we can get Williams in this draft and with a lower pick land Tre Jones. I would make a trade for a shot at getting Jones in the 20s. He?s going to be a solid pg in this league imo.

We have to build this team through the draft. There are good players in this draft. A few guys are going to be special.

What sort of pick would you take Tre Jones at?

Tre Jones likely tops out as a top end backup PG. Which is valuable. But look around the league and shout out the backup PG's that are still on the team that drafted them. It is beyond rare.

This is a perfect example of why you dont draft for need. Would a backup PG be nice? Of course, but you dont draft that position because when his 2nd contract comes up, he won't re-sgin or he will but at a price 3x that of what you can get a competent backup PG for in free agency. Example - Tyus Jones, his brother. Fine NBA player, solid backup. But he is gonna make 8 million this year and 6-10 backup point guards who are as good or better than him will sign for half of what he is making (or less) this offseason.

You dont draft projected role players in the first round. Because, even though they might be good role players for their careers, that second contract will never bring value. You will overpay, or you will see the tea leaves early and trade the player before that 2nd contract at less than you paid for him re: acquisition cost.

You want to get Tre Young in 6 or 7 years when he is getting his 3rd contract and the "upside" appeal has worn off him. You dont want him now when you have to use a pick on him and someone like Jeff Teague could be better for you over the next year or two at the same cost. You dont want him on his 2nd contract, when he will be overpaid compared to the market. It is smarter to swing for the fences, even if you are likely to strike out, as opposed to getting the possible role player, because of the reasons I have laid out above
    @mcnamara247

If that was the price for Bruce Brown, I would have done that. Have always liked his game. I would be interested in him in a Jrue deal.

Brooklyn starting to trade guys. Does this mean anything in regards to potential Jrue or Harden trades?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Tre Jones likely tops out as a top end backup PG.
    I agree, which is why I asked. In my view, Tre Jones is a kind of guy I would take a swing on around the #40 spot, but I wouldn't spend a first on him. I just thought it would be interesting to get some other perspectives.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I don't know.

I'm not excited about the Jrue stuff. We currently have the right amount of youth on this team. We could skip this draft and have no rookies and still be at the right amount of youth. There's also not much in this draft I feel significantly upgrades the team....not enough to lose Jrue. To top that off, we're sitting on top of an insane amount of picks. We could trade 2/3's of our draft picks in the next decade and still field enough youth for that time period. So I don't like the idea of trading Jrue for more assets. It feels like trading your only orange juice for two gallons of milk when you've already got 5 gallons of milk in the fridge. And I know people will say that we're stockpiling milk for a play at trading for apple juice or something....but still. There's only so much milk you can use before it expires. We won't be offered any players near the caliber of Jrue. The only way I trade him is if he is letting me know he wants out. And maybe that's happening. I dunno.

I'd be holding on to Jrue and waiting to cash in my assets on another Jrue level or higher player to make waves sooner as opposed to later.
    If we knew we could extend Jrue at a reasonable price and term, I don't think you would see him being shopped. He is a valuable player. However, my assumption is that those discussions have occurred and management is trying to maximize value for a player they do not feel they can retain past this season.

******** just got real with Harden officially wanting out!

Why u wanted to go there Will W?

Wonder what the details are.... Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post

Wonder what the details are.... Interesting
    whoa

Woj explosion

For those desperate for Devin Booker, Chris Paul's health this season could be incredibly important. An incredibly risky move for the Suns, but I like the vision

Phoenix did alright I think

Also moarrrrr 1st round picks for OKC. They have smashed the last two offseasons

Tons of tweets coming out that we are specifically shopping to Eastern Conference teams. Could be a play to put more pressure on our Western rivals, but it makes sense considering we don?t want to make anyone stronger and most of our deals look more likely in the Eastern conference anyways.

Makes sense. CP3 did play under coach Minty his last year here.

One less roadblock to drafting Kira if Pelicans stay at 13.

On the flip side, Phoenix easily a top 4 seed if he plays at least 50 games.
    Last edited by luckyman; 11-16-2020 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Tons of tweets coming out that we are specifically shopping to Eastern Conference teams. Could be a play to put more pressure on our Western rivals, but it makes sense considering we don?t want to make anyone stronger and most of our deals look more likely in the Eastern conference anyways.
    Smart tactic to drive up his value from other teams. But I wonder what east team would have what Griff wants? Rumors say we want in the 10 pick but the only team to have that plus attainable assets is the pacers IMO

EDIT: Atlanta. My bad.

Smart tactic to drive up his value from other teams. But I wonder what east team would have what Griff wants? Rumors say we want in the 10 pick but the only team to have that plus attainable assets is the pacers IMO

EDIT: Atlanta. My bad.
    It would be a 3 team trade. The Celtics, Nets, Bucs, Raptors, Heat, Nuggets, etc all have the firepower to acquire the 6th pick if they want to trade for Jrue.

What are the odds that there's a 4 team trade between Brooklyn, Pels, Rockets, and Atlanta for a mega trade?

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Makes sense. CP3 did play under coach Minty his last year here.

One less roadblock to drafting Kira if Pelicans stay at 13.

On the flip side, Phoenix easily a top 4 seed if he plays at least 50 games.
    Getting 36yo CP would not stop them drafting Kira if they feel he's the best talent on the board

You don't draft for today +1 day, you have to project years into the future. Especially for building teams

I'm really starting to think that we're going to deal Holiday to the Celtics and we're about to get "Finessed" with picks and Hayward.

I'm really starting to think that we're going to deal Holiday to the Celtics and we're about to get "Finessed" with picks and Hayward.
    Pels would move Hayward to a third team if that were the case

David Griffin isn’t a bum and we don’t have to trade Jrue. I’m expecting a great deal.

Sucks that we announced our coaching staff after the all-star Clippers staff

Thread Information