Pelicans Report

Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Truncated Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    For sure. Let's say the official measurements are accurate and he was 220lbs last season (doesn't matter if he actually was that, it's just a reference). If he's even 230lbs now, that can make quite a lot of difference, especially if most of the weight is lower body/core.
    I?m excited yet prepared for disappointment. The double edged sword all Pelican fans must endure

Everyone IS considering BI an SF.

But he's literally our ONLY ONE.

You can say that Zo is going to function as a 3 sometimes, which he will, but he's still undersized for it and not actually a true wing. Didi is not coming over, it's alreayd been confirmed that he's staying in Aus for another year.

We have one (one) NBA calibre small forward who is actually a small forward. That's Ingram, and even he's not actually signed yet (we all know he will be, but just pointing it out).

That's a problem.
    Outside of another trade, what is left for SF options? How many of these would you be OK with on the Pels (think we need at least 2 and I may have missed where some of these already signed elsewhere):

Michael Beasley (headcase that didn't play last year)
    Wilson Chandler (solid vet but best days are far behind him)
    Solomon Hill (Lord help me!)
    Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (can't shoot but would be OK with it)
    Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (OK defender but can't shoot)
    Kyle Korver (old as dirt but can still shoot the lights out - would take it on a 1-year deal)
    Markieff Morris (more of a PF, but solid vet that could potentially guard bigger 3's)
    Andre Roberson (missed a ton of time with injury but used to be a great defender)
    Glenn Robinson III (looks like the best of the bunch)
    Dario Saric (RFA that we probably can't afford)
    Thabo Sefolosha (long in the tooth, but might have 1 good year left)
    Evan Turner (another non-shooter)
    Anthony Tolliver (good 3P shooter, but that's about it)
    Marvin Williams (could live with it)

Let’s get Glenn Robinson III and get ready for the season

C: Adams, Hayes, W. Hernangomez
    PF: Zion, Melli
    SF: BI, GRIII
    SG: JJ, Hart, NAW
    PG: Lonzo, Bledsoe, Kira

Quote Originally Posted by pr1840 View Post
    Outside of another trade, what is left for SF options? How many of these would you be OK with on the Pels (think we need at least 2 and I may have missed where some of these already signed elsewhere):

Kyle Korver (old as dirt but can still shoot the lights out - would take it on a 1-year deal)
    Markieff Morris (more of a PF, but solid vet that could potentially guard bigger 3's)
    Andre Roberson (missed a ton of time with injury but used to be a great defender)
    Well none of them are optimal, but that's why we were all so concerned: the Adams trade, whether you liked it or not, took so long to sort out that the boat had already left on most of the good options.

For me, at this point, I guess I'd be fine with

- Wilson Chandler
    - Rondae Hollis Jefferson
    - Kyle Korver
    - Andre Roberson

My reasoning being that Wilson Chandler is only 32 and has had some okay years, RHJ is at least semi-acceptable, Korver can't defend me at this point but will be able to shoot 40% from 3 until the sun dies, and Roberson is kind of an unknown because of how much time he missed but is at least theoretically good on defense.
    Basketball.

And I also want to say that actually, Solomon Hill was actually pretty decent last year, was always a good locker room presence in NOLA, and I would be okay with him returning on a minimum deal.

No, he wasn't great, but he was getting paid like $13m a year and starting. That's very different expectations from vet mins off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by pr1840 View Post

Of that list, I'd like Wilson Chandler. Have always liked his game since day 1 with the Knicks.

The fact that you are just repeatedly pointing to people who primarily play other positions and going ''well, can't they just fill in some minutes?'' is proof of the point. If we actually had a real NBA small forward backup you'd just say it.

Lebron can play small-ball C. He has done it. He will probably do it again. If there were a Lebron team with 1 centre on the roster and someone went ''hey, we do have other centres! Lebron can do it!'' everyone would rightfully acknowledge that as nonsense.
    Not at all. BI is our starting SF. Not only is he our starting SF but he is also an all-star. He will suck up a ton of minutes. Zion is not locked in as a PF. In fact, he's a SF/PF tweener but you know this. Which makes it an interesting hill you're defending. We're going to assume Zion is healthy but if we didn't have BI, Zion very well could play primarily at SF. So that's one all-star and a potential phenom all-star now playing that position. So.....again. No need there. Especially to throw a bunch of money on.

Anyways, this is all moot because the 1 In 4 Out doesn't really need people to be designated in certain positions. Nor does todays modern NBA. We have more than enough players to cover those slots without playing them out of position.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Well none of them are optimal, but that's why we were all so concerned: the Adams trade, whether you liked it or not, took so long to sort out that the boat had already left on most of the good options.

For me, at this point, I guess I'd be fine with

- Wilson Chandler
    - Rondae Hollis Jefferson
    - Kyle Korver
    - Andre Roberson

My reasoning being that Wilson Chandler is only 32 and has had some okay years, RHJ is at least semi-acceptable, Korver can't defend me at this point but will be able to shoot 40% from 3 until the sun dies, and Roberson is kind of an unknown because of how much time he missed but is at least theoretically good on defense.
    Agree with that list but I would add Marvin Williams.

What about Nicolas Batum?

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    Let’s get Glenn Robinson III and get ready for the season

C: Adams, Hayes, W. Hernangomez
    PF: Zion, Melli
    SF: BI, GRIII
    SG: JJ, Hart, NAW
    PG: Lonzo, Bledsoe, Kira
    Long Term (and that's how they are playing it) JJ is not the answer and should not be starting. I could see Kira / Lonzo; or NAW / Lonzo; or Lonzo / Hart, but I can't see JJ at age 36 in the starting line up. If we have to take some lumps now as we build for the future...take 'em with our young pups gaining valuable playing time. On the other hand, Adams (27) just fills a glaring weakness on this team and could be part of the buildout if he chose to be (on mutually acceptable terms).

I guess BI is next sometime today huh?

I predict Willy Hernangomez is going to be a fan favorite like Jason Smith with his high energy & hustle. I like the move. They had a few others I liked for a 5th big, but I like this guys game on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Long Term (and that's how they are playing it) JJ is not the answer and should not be starting. I could see Kira / Lonzo; or NAW / Lonzo; or Lonzo / Hart, but I can't see JJ at age 36 in the starting line up. If we have to take some lumps now as we build for the future...take 'em with our young pups gaining valuable playing time. On the other hand, Adams (27) just fills a glaring weakness on this team and could be part of the buildout if he chose to be (on mutually acceptable terms).
    JJ will not be here long term. So he can start...who cares? He started in Philly.

Lonzo not here long term either. 2 guards are also expected to create their own space and shot. Not a Lonzo skill.

And I also want to say that actually, Solomon Hill was actually pretty decent last year, was always a good locker room presence in NOLA, and I would be okay with him returning on a minimum deal.

No, he wasn't great, but he was getting paid like $13m a year and starting. That's very different expectations from vet mins off the bench.
    Only contender gets those vet mins.

Well of course JJ is not the answer long term, but I think he should be starting without a doubt. He averaged 15 ppg last year while playing 26 minutes a game. We need his shooting in the starting lineup. You rather play Lonzo & Bledsoe together? The spacing will be horrible. I think not having a true point guard coming off the bench hurt us last year and that’s why we got Bledsoe. So either him or Lonzo can come off the bench. I rather play NAW, but he’s not ready to start

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    JJ will not be here long term. So he can start...who cares? He started in Philly.

Lonzo not here long term either. 2 guards are also expected to create their own space and shot. Not a Lonzo skill.
    Two completely different teams. One was competing to win in the present (shooting its wad); the other is building for the future (winning now is just a plus).

Two completely different teams. One was competing to win in the present (shooting its wad); the other is building for the future (winning now is just a plus).
    The point is he's been in a starting role before. And he won't be here forever, and the future long-term SG may or may not currently be on the roster yet. Maybe it's NAW. Maybe it's Didi. Maybe its one of the many future draft picks, a traded for player, or a FA.

Regardless it doesnt even matter for this upcoming year. This is how rebuilds work. It's tedious and time consuming.
    Last edited by luckyman; 11-22-2020 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Only contender gets those vet mins.
    Sure, and maybe he still gets snapped up somewhere, but most teams are pretty much done with team-building at this point and I don't see him having been snapped up yet.

Damn it! Austin Rivers signed with the Knicks lolol

I really thought JJ would want out after we traded Jrue. Like, he'd want to go somewhere contending this year. He seemed pretty understanding about it on his podcast.

https://youtu.be/7RgJ1gzkj5g

I mean, the guy is a straight up professional so I don't expect him to go on his podcast disgruntled and talking smack....but that language sounds like he's bought in.

IMO we are trying to make the playoffs to get our young team some playoff experience. JJ is the best option at shooting guard. We need his veteran leadership and shooting in the starting lineup. Josh Hart would be the only other option, but we need him to be the backup 3 cause I don’t think a Redick, NAW, and either Lonzo or Bledsoe would work together on the 2nd unit. As our team is currently constructed I think Bledsoe, JJ, BI, Zion, & Adams would be the best starting lineup with Lonzo, NAW, Hart, Melli, & Hayes as our 2nd unit. Unless Lonzo suddenly plays way better point in the half court, I think he would fit better playing along side NAW with the 2nd unit. I know most will freak out if Bledsoe starts over Lonzo, but I think he should for us to be successful

Okay... When I was told nobody wanted Bledsoe. I was okay... Sure.

Damnnnnnnnnnnnn. Nobody wants that dude.

A "team gave away 5 picks to get rid of him" energy. That's like divorce energy. Take the damn house, i don't care. I just want you gone.
    Last edited by Taker597; 11-22-2020 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Okay... When I was told nobody wanted Bledsoe. I was okay... Sure.

Damnnnnnnnnnnnn. Nobody wants that dude.

A "team gave away 5 picks to get rid of him" energy. That's like divorce energy. Take the damn house, i don't care. I just want you gone.
    But you dont actually know any of this. Maybe the Pelicans want to keep Bledsoe than roll with another year of the Lonzo struggle, or a 19 year old rookie at point guard.

Thread Information