Pelicans Report

Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 ... LastLast

Thread: Truncated Offseason Thread

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Griff knocked it out the park getting Aquaman. Especially if he resigns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calling Rondae Hollis Jefferson

I go for Dewayne Dedmon and Nic Batum for the lasts roster spot. Or maybe take a chance on Chris Boucher.
    "The greatest threat to the domination is the equality."

...That's fine.

He's fine. I hope he doesn't play much, I'd much rather have Jax getting those minutes, but as a 3rd centre that's okay.
    Basketball.

Okay so that S&T option is out of the window.

Quote Originally Posted by ozwego15 View Post
    That's just insurance for whatever happens if players get injured or have to quarantine

I would love Glenn Robinson III though. Sign him and I'm pretty much content.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Why would you want us to sign Thon Maker or Frank Kaminsky when they're both really bad at basketball?
    I think Kaminsky is damn good at offensive basketball. He?s crafty with a variety of spin moves with some up & unders. Career 35% from 3. He?s terrible at rebounding & defense, but offensively he?s good IMO. But he’s also too skinny. I like Thon cause he?s long, athletic, high energy 7 footer that can hit 3s to an extent that can also block shots. I mainly like him cause he would likely be cheap.

But I?ll take Willy Hernangomez I guess cause he?s high energy as well. Think I would rather Juancho the other Hernangomez cause he?s a better 3 point shooter % wise
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 11-22-2020 at 03:47 PM.

I'll just bump this nugget back up every few days to remind everyone how extreme Zo haters like to show their ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    You guys are gonna want to read this......

Long thread from Shamit explaining a possible reason for the delay. TL;DR They may need cap space to do a S&T of Kenrich/Frank/Cheatham and creating that cap space may involve waiting on Charlotte to finish it's moves getting Hayward and then they can trade for Lonzo.

Shamit Dua @FearTheBrown 1h

Okay night owls, I've been racking my brain on how this Jrue deal is going to work (financially) all day and so here is a thread on some possibilities. Bear with me, this gets confusing quickly. 1/x

The Pelicans need to add somewhere between $2.8M+ (don't know the exact number because of Adam's trade kicker) to make this thing work legally. Let's just say a small contract's amount. Easiest way to do that is sign and trade a small contract. Simple, right?
    2/x

Well it depends on the contract. Someone like E'twaun Moore makes it very easy. If he agrees to sign to that small amount over three years. He probably won't. Enter Kenrich, Frank, or even Zylan Cheatham.
    3/x

Sign and trades MUST be three years, and the first year must be fully guaranteed. No options allowed. Great. Well if the Pelicans operate above the cap, they can do a few things.

1) Use only one of Frank or Kenrich.
    2) Use both Frank AND Kenrich.

The problem with using only ONE of Frank or Kenrich is Base Year Comp. Basically their outgoing salary will only count for half of their actual salary. In order to reach the $2.8M number, you're actually paying them ~$6M. Over 3 years that looks like 3/$16-18M. Yikes
    5/x

So chances are teams aren't doing that, because that's a lot of money, even if you don't guarantee the last 2 years.

Easier to sign both of them respectively to an amount that won't trigger BYC ( league minimum salary). That added up *should* get you there.
    6/x

They still need to be signed for 3 years (last two years can be non-guaranteed). You can't use the min exception to sign and trade them. But the Pels have Bird Rights on Frank and Early Bird Rights on Kenrich. This is the path of least resistance.
    7/x

We still following? Because now we get wild.

Another way to NOT trigger BYC is if you are actually a cap space team and not operating over the cap. And you are using your cap space to sign and trade.

Now why would the Pelicans need to do that?
    8/x

Well let's say one of Frank or Kenrich isn't amenable to the above agreement. They don't want to sign on for 3 years at the minimum with 2 years non guaranteed. Maybe they have a deal elsewhere lined up. Enter Zylan Cheatham.
    9/x.

Unlike Frank or Kenrich, the Pels don't have any kind of Early of Full Bird rights on Zylan. He can only be signed and traded using cap room. You can't use MLE or BAE to do it (it's in da rules).

You need to open enough cap space to sign one (or both) to the $2.8+ number. 10/x

Unlike before, in this case you can actually give that $2.8M/yr to one guy. It's clean and you don't have to worry about BYC. By my count, the Pels are already $1.39M under the cap and would only need another $1.4ish more to open.

This means NO MLE or BAE available.
    11/x

The benefit of splitting this room into two players is that you can sign Zylan to a rookie min (800k) and send him to Milwaukee for cheap labor (helps their hard cap) and send one of Frank or Kenrich elsewhere.

So how to open the room?
    12/x

You can trade any of your existing contracts for a smaller contract. So that means JJ, NAW, Lonzo, Hayes. Melli etc.

The EASIEST way to do it is to flip a highly paid rookie scale guy for a lower paid rookie scale guy(s).

Lonzo is the EASIEST one to accomplish this with.
    13/x

Are we ready for the conspiracy? What if the reason this trade is being held up is because we're trying to get Lonzo to Charlotte with his brother and we're waiting to see what happens with Charlotte's cap space?
    14/x

Depending on what Charlotte decides to do with Hayward (sign and trade someone or stretch Batum), Charlotte has a few options.

1) Take Lonzo cleanly into space for future picks
    2) Make an uneven trade if they don't have total space (Monk)
    3) Salary Match. (Monk + something)
    15/x

Honestly this logic can apply to Atlanta and New York as well. Both teams are trying to figure out what to do with their cap. But Charlotte seems a better fit for ... Big Baller reasons.

16/x

Anywho, watch this go in a completely different direction and 15 teams end up involved. But this is where my head was at today. I hope you enjoyed some cap minutia. Had to double and triple check things with @MasonGinsberg
    and @42PhD
    all day
    Lol. That's wild. He was sitting right there on the answer.....but couldn't quite clinch it. Because people who hate Zo are worse than crossfitters and jeep drivers combined.

Anyways. Why are you guys not considering BI a SF? Or if you are, why do we need two starting quality SFs? Because he IS essentially our starting small forward....if we're putting strict labels on positions. Zion and Hart.....and apparently SVG thinks Zo....will play a little bit there, too. Louzada may even come in and play there. So why would we go out and find a starting quality SF when the market for them is expensive and we already have it covered?

I think once we start playing and seeing the offense we'll be running, it'll be more apparent how the positions won't be strict PG, SG, SF, PF, and C.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 11-22-2020 at 03:27 PM.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I'll just bump this nugget back up every few days to remind everyone how extreme Zo haters like to show their ignorance.

Lol. That's wild. He was sitting right there on the answer.....but couldn't quite clinch it.

Anyways. Why are you guys not considering BI and SF? Because he IS essentially our starting small forward....if we're putting strict labels on position. Zion and Hart.....and apparently SVG thinks Zo....will play a little bit there, too. Louzada may even come in and play there. So why would we go out and find a starting quality SF when the market for them is expensive and we already have it covered?
    Everyone IS considering BI an SF.

But he's literally our ONLY ONE.

You can say that Zo is going to function as a 3 sometimes, which he will, but he's still undersized for it and not actually a true wing. Didi is not coming over, it's alreayd been confirmed that he's staying in Aus for another year.

We have one (one) NBA calibre small forward who is actually a small forward. That's Ingram, and even he's not actually signed yet (we all know he will be, but just pointing it out).

That's a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ozwego15 View Post
    Solid depth at C for once. I can dig it. We should be looking at a combo forward here whether it be the NBA, G-league, Euro League or Justice league.

...That's fine.

He's fine. I hope he doesn't play much, I'd much rather have Jax getting those minutes, but as a 3rd centre that's okay.
    Will Jax see time at PF?

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Will Jax see time at PF?
    Hopefully not. Just play him at C as the backup. Have Hernangomez there to fill minutes against certain matchups, to spell for injury if needed, etc, and to push Jax to keep his position, but give him that backup 20 minutes to start.

Everyone IS considering BI an SF.

But he's literally our ONLY ONE.

You can say that Zo is going to function as a 3 sometimes, which he will, but he's still undersized for it and not actually a true wing. Didi is not coming over, it's alreayd been confirmed that he's staying in Aus for another year.

We have one (one) NBA calibre small forward who is actually a small forward. That's Ingram, and even he's not actually signed yet (we all know he will be, but just pointing it out).

That's a problem.
    Zion magically can't play there anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Zion magically can't play there anymore?
    The fact that you are just repeatedly pointing to people who primarily play other positions and going ''well, can't they just fill in some minutes?'' is proof of the point. If we actually had a real NBA small forward backup you'd just say it.

Lebron can play small-ball C. He has done it. He will probably do it again. If there were a Lebron team with 1 centre on the roster and someone went ''hey, we do have other centres! Lebron can do it!'' everyone would rightfully acknowledge that as nonsense.

Honestly, at this point I feel like the team is going to just assume Hart is a small forward when he isn't and run with that.

I doubt that we'll ever see him in New Orleans, but if management is so enamored with DiDi Louzada Silva why not bring him over to fill the back up SF role and see what we have? I know there is some commitments already made to the NBL, but surely that could be worked out.

If this team is 'so-so' at mid-year trade deadline, I wouldn't be surprised if JJ, Adams, and Lonzo are all available for draft picks and filler at that time. We might as well cash in the assets for something instead of letting them walk for nothing at the end of the year. I'm sure they want those $$$ for free agency next year.

I remember a while back Jax posted a video of himself working on his jumpshot, so I am curious to see the progress he has made in that department. Surely not enough as of yet, but he does seem to take himself seriously as a future stretch 5. Also curious to see how much weight he has added. He may be the player I am most curious to see in action apart from Kira

I remember a while back Jax posted a video of himself working on his jumpshot, so I am curious to see the progress he has made in that department. Surely not enough as of yet, but he does seem to take himself seriously as a future stretch 5. Also curious to see how much weight he has added. He may be the player I am most curious to see in action apart from Kira
    This could just be the product of his posture and stuff, but Jax looked a little larger in this:

This could just be the product of his posture and stuff, but Jax looked a little larger in this:

With even a little bit more beef and a semi competent jumpshot could make all the difference for him. Especially coming off the bench. He had all the time in the world to work on himself. Hopefully he took advantage of it because he has the most potential behind Zion

With even a little bit more beef and a semi competent jumpshot could make all the difference for him. Especially coming off the bench. He had all the time in the world to work on himself. Hopefully he took advantage of it because he has the most potential behind Zion
    For sure. Let's say the official measurements are accurate and he was 220lbs last season (doesn't matter if he actually was that, it's just a reference). If he's even 230lbs now, that can make quite a lot of difference, especially if most of the weight is lower body/core.

Thread Information