Pelicans Report

Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 36 ... LastLast

Thread: Truncated Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    Its a gift and a curse. I love how everything is unknown till the deal is pretty much done. However I'm with you about knowing very little about our intentions. I just have a huge gut feeling we're gonna be surprised with a trade coming within the next few days for some decent role players coming in.

Teams that need a PG are my teams that I'm watching closely just cause we have an abundance of them.
    Let me guess.. if I told you Ball wasn't "point guard" it would be a huge surprise to you

Bledsoe and Kira are the only two I'd be comfortable with labelling point guards. You could twist my arm with NAW.

The rest are combo guards at best, pure shooting guards at worst and some inbetween
    Last edited by AusPel; 11-22-2020 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Let me guess.. if I told you Ball wasn't "point guard" it would be a huge surprise to you

Bledsoe and Kira are the only two I'd be comfortable with labelling point guards. You could twist my arm with NAW.

The rest are combo guards at best, pure shooting guards at worst and some inbetween
    I don't care what you call Lonzo. If the players initiates the half court offense and are the primary ball handlers I consider them PG's. We gotta trade at least one of those guys. Lonzo or Bledsoe one of those guys has gotta go IMO.

I don't care what you call Lonzo. If the players initiates the half court offense and are the primary ball handlers I consider them PG's. We gotta trade at least one of those guys. Lonzo or Bledsoe one of those guys has gotta go IMO.
    Lonzo doesn't initiate half court offense. He's actively dreadful at it. It's like, one of his worst skills: I would literally rather NAW do it full time, which is saying something.
    Basketball.

I don't care what you call Lonzo. If the players initiates the half court offensat's e and are the primary ball handlers I consider them PG's. We gotta trade at least one of those guys. Lonzo or Bledsoe one of those guys has gotta go IMO.
    Lol I couldn't have middled that one any cleaner

Sorry that's a Cricket reference

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Lonzo doesn't initiate half court offense. He's actively dreadful at it. It's like, one of his worst skills: I would literally rather NAW do it full time, which is saying something.
    Personally I want lonzo to do great things and I believe he will eventually. But I won't miss him if he's traded. For many reasons obviously.

I'm really interested in seeing if/how they play him as a 3 & D type that's been mentioned recently rather than putting him strictly at point guard. Would be interesting to see if he could develop into a Bruce Bowen with better rebounding/passing type of player.

The thing is, I don?t see Kira getting too many minutes right away. So Lonzo and Bledsoe are going to be our two main point guards this season, especially in the beginning. You need to have at least 3 point guards and that?s what we currently have. NAW can play point, but he?s better suited playing 2 guard. So right now he will be our backup 2 which he should be ready to contribute there IMO. Unless they plan on starting Lonzo & Bledsoe together, but I hope not. We need JJ?s shooting to space the floor for Zion & BI especially with Adams at center. I hope to see either Lonzo or Bledsoe coming off the bench to run the 2nd unit.

I think Lonzo would be better off coming off the bench cause NAW can initiate your half court offense with the 2nd unit
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 11-22-2020 at 01:09 PM.

Lonzo is not really a point guard in the half court. He's also not a 2 guard, because he cannot create his own shot with any consistency or regularity.

I would actually not be adverse, if he ends up staying, to playing him more as a backup 3. Yes, he's only 6'6 which is a touch undersized but he has a 6'9 wingspan I think, and is fairly strong, which would help overcome the deficit at least a good portion of the time and would also relieve him of the difficulties of ever having to run a halfcourt offense. And relieve me of the pain of having to watch him try.

In that case, Kira would be playing - and I think he should be. It's important to remember that while Kira is only 19, he actually had 2 years in college. He ran a successful SEC offense at the age of 17, and improved it again the next year at 18. He has a lot of growth to do, but I say he deserves to be given minutes with the opportunity to lose them, rather than be relegated to 3rd or even 4th on the PG depth chart and be told to consider himself lucky ifhe gets 3 minutes a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Biasvasospasm View Post
    Yes! There has never been a worse time to pay a slightly above average starting center 25+ million. I think it is a terrible use of resources to give up 3 draft picks and a good rotation player for a playoff team for the privilege of overpaying this dude by over 10 million dollars. I think you could get 80% of his production for about 5 million. I think if you get into a playoff series, in most matchups, I think he struggles to stay on the floor. It demonstrates a poor understanding of positional value in the modern NBA. Hope I?m wrong and we look back on this positively, but I think this is a mistake. I don?t think it?s a franchise crushing mistake or anything, but I think the decision-making process here is terrible.
    Who cares if he struggles to stay on the floor in the playoffs? No he is not very good covering in space. But he is a definite upgrade over old man Favors. Adams straight line movement and touch around the rim is still very good for a man his size. This year isnt about winning in the playoffs. Just getting there through regular season play is a cherry. However, he is a very serviceable center to further the goal of bringing a winning culture and some toughness to the team, even if just for 1 year.

And let's be honest, your raging about all this is really just about Lonzo. It's okay. He's put a spell on lots of yall out there. How? I do not know.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Who cares if he struggles to stay on the floor in the playoffs? No he is not very good covering in space. But he is a definite upgrade over old man Favors. Adams straight line movement and touch around the rim is still very good for a man his size. This year isnt about winning in the playoffs. Just getting there through regular season play is a cherry. However, he is a very serviceable center to further the goal of bringing a winning culture and some toughness to the team, even if just for 1 year.

And let's be honest, your raging about all this is really just about Lonzo. It's okay. He's put a spell on lots of yall out there. How? I do not know.
    I think people massively underrate Adams, honestly. I didn't think this, until this thread, but once detailed discussion of him came out it's clear how much people picture him as being some completely immobile stiff when that's really not the case. For example, I've seen people describe him as being ground-bound, which is kinda strange: he's not some immense leaper with a 40'' vertical or anything but he gets up for dunks and stuff. He has really good hands on both ends. He's a great passer for a big (not the all-time elite Jokic type level, of course, but very good). He's a career 67% shooter at the rim, and 45.3% in the paint in general - he's not going to shoot threes or anything but he has some range. You can let him shoot a 10 footer or something, it's fine. He draws fouls well. He uses his size well, boxes really well, is a fantastic screener, protects the paint.

Like you say, he's not the perfect centre, sure. There are critiques to his game: if there weren't, he'd be a superstar and he's not. But people are acting like he's some borderline NBA scrub instead of a very very good starter, which is absurd.

Do I pass up Lonzo, for example, who sucks in a ton of ways, for Adams? Of course I do, and it's not really a close conversation.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar

The Legend of Kenny Hustle must continue elsewhere. lol Zylan is a great locker room guy, I'd prefer to keep him around, but I'd rather have Adams and Bedsore this year. Holy crap do we even have backup SF? Hart is kinda one, but let's see who they bring in.
    Last edited by wuggie; 11-22-2020 at 01:55 PM.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Okay so basically, we sent them a ton of 2 ways and fringe NBA players to make up the money. That's fine.

Someone is gonna look at that offer and go ''WE GAVE UP 5 PLAYERS?!?!?!!''

Glenn Robinson III is a perfect 3 & D guy still available. He shot 39% from 3 this past year. Give me him and either Thon Maker or Frank Kaminsky. Seems like every year I?m wanting another 3 and a 5th big a few days into free agency lol

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    Glenn Robinson III is a perfect 3 & D guy still available. He shot 39% from 3 this past year. Give me him and either Thon Maker or Frank Kaminsky. Seems like every year I?m wanting another 3 and a 5th big a few days into free agency lol
    Why would you want us to sign Thon Maker or Frank Kaminsky when they're both really bad at basketball?

[
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Who cares if he struggles to stay on the floor in the playoffs?

I care if I am giving up picks, a good player in George Hill, and 25m for him. I am not delusional and don?t think we?re going to compete. But those limitations make him a bad long-term fit, and that is a lot to give up for a stop gap. And I worry that investment will make us try to resign him at an above-market next contract.

I?m ambivalent at best at this point about Lonzo, so don?t know where you are getting that from. But if you want to have an argument with a straw man, be my guest.

I hate that we are giving assets to get a bad contract at a replaceable position, what it says about what this team will prioritize, and the potential that we sign Adams to a terrible contract on his next contract a la Asik if he is not a disaster for us this year. If we gave away other actual players who may have value, whether it was NAW or Lonzo or to a lesser extent Melli, I would hate it more. I am relieved we didn?t give away anyone else besides Hill who can actually play, but still intensely dislike this trade and wish we had gone another route.

Yeah... so one real NBA calibre SF. And they're not technically even signed yet.

''get to work on the rest of the roster'' is gonna have to be trades really, if we're trying to add quality, because the FA pool is currently bone dry.

Regardless of whether or not you support the trade, Griff continues his long tradition of absolutely warping the CBA to the nth degree.

Regardless of whether or not you support the trade, Griff continues his long tradition of absolutely warping the CBA to the nth degree.
    At least he gets the cap. The Bucks stuff yesterday with Pat and DJ was embarrassing and made me feel better about shorting that FO in a small market.

Okay so basically, we sent them a ton of 2 ways and fringe NBA players to make up the money. That's fine.
    I can live with that. I?m glad we made it work at the very least. Didn?t want to send anyone else

Quote Originally Posted by Biasvasospasm View Post
    At least he gets the cap. The Bucks stuff yesterday with Pat and DJ was embarrassing and made me feel better about shorting that FO in a small market.
    It was a disgrace, for sure. Nobody expects GMs to understand the cap in its entirety themselves, but that's why they hire cap guys. People whose job it is to know the cap, and to help them with it.

The Bucks mess was exactly that, a mess.

As you say, whether you like the trades Griff makes or not, he and/or his cap guys know the CBA inside and out. He's spent years making absurdly finnicky little trades that exploit every option.

Sweet I knew we were not going to have to give up a rotation player.

I figured that trade was holding us up. I hope we didn’t want to go after Craig, but I’m sure he would rather play for the Bucks than us

We have some money. Not a huge quantity but we do.

But there's nobody out there in FA worth that much right now, imo. So what do we do? Uneven trade where we take back more than we send out for tax relief somewhere? Idk.

We could still hit E'twaun with the S&T, I guess

We signing a Euro guy or something? I’m down for a funky name

Thread Information