Pelicans Report

Page 24 of 38 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 ... LastLast

Thread: Truncated Offseason Thread

Makes sense for Twaun to come back at the minimum

Ibake for 2 for 19.... It sucks, but we wasn't getting Ibaka at 9.5. No chance in hell.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I don't want to see Moore back. Open up the minutes for the youth.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    I don't want to see Moore back. Open up the minutes for the youth.
    Without Gentry... Moore ain't getting minutes.

As of this writing, the longest tenured player on the Pelican Roster is Zion Williamson. The trade bringing the trio from the Lakers was finalized after the 2019 Draft.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    As of this writing, the longest tenured player on the Pelican Roster is Zion Williamson. The trade bringing the trio from the Lakers was finalized after the 2019 Draft.

You guys are gonna want to read this......

Long thread from Shamit explaining a possible reason for the delay. TL;DR They may need cap space to do a S&T of Kenrich/Frank/Cheatham and creating that cap space may involve waiting on Charlotte to finish it's moves getting Hayward and then they can trade for Lonzo.

Shamit Dua @FearTheBrown 1h

Okay night owls, I've been racking my brain on how this Jrue deal is going to work (financially) all day and so here is a thread on some possibilities. Bear with me, this gets confusing quickly. 1/x

The Pelicans need to add somewhere between $2.8M+ (don't know the exact number because of Adam's trade kicker) to make this thing work legally. Let's just say a small contract's amount. Easiest way to do that is sign and trade a small contract. Simple, right?
    2/x

Well it depends on the contract. Someone like E'twaun Moore makes it very easy. If he agrees to sign to that small amount over three years. He probably won't. Enter Kenrich, Frank, or even Zylan Cheatham.
    3/x

Sign and trades MUST be three years, and the first year must be fully guaranteed. No options allowed. Great. Well if the Pelicans operate above the cap, they can do a few things.

1) Use only one of Frank or Kenrich.
    2) Use both Frank AND Kenrich.

The problem with using only ONE of Frank or Kenrich is Base Year Comp. Basically their outgoing salary will only count for half of their actual salary. In order to reach the $2.8M number, you're actually paying them ~$6M. Over 3 years that looks like 3/$16-18M. Yikes
    5/x

So chances are teams aren't doing that, because that's a lot of money, even if you don't guarantee the last 2 years.

Easier to sign both of them respectively to an amount that won't trigger BYC ( league minimum salary). That added up *should* get you there.
    6/x

They still need to be signed for 3 years (last two years can be non-guaranteed). You can't use the min exception to sign and trade them. But the Pels have Bird Rights on Frank and Early Bird Rights on Kenrich. This is the path of least resistance.
    7/x

We still following? Because now we get wild.

Another way to NOT trigger BYC is if you are actually a cap space team and not operating over the cap. And you are using your cap space to sign and trade.

Now why would the Pelicans need to do that?
    8/x

Well let's say one of Frank or Kenrich isn't amenable to the above agreement. They don't want to sign on for 3 years at the minimum with 2 years non guaranteed. Maybe they have a deal elsewhere lined up. Enter Zylan Cheatham.
    9/x.

Unlike Frank or Kenrich, the Pels don't have any kind of Early of Full Bird rights on Zylan. He can only be signed and traded using cap room. You can't use MLE or BAE to do it (it's in da rules).

You need to open enough cap space to sign one (or both) to the $2.8+ number. 10/x

Unlike before, in this case you can actually give that $2.8M/yr to one guy. It's clean and you don't have to worry about BYC. By my count, the Pels are already $1.39M under the cap and would only need another $1.4ish more to open.

This means NO MLE or BAE available.
    11/x

The benefit of splitting this room into two players is that you can sign Zylan to a rookie min (800k) and send him to Milwaukee for cheap labor (helps their hard cap) and send one of Frank or Kenrich elsewhere.

So how to open the room?
    12/x

You can trade any of your existing contracts for a smaller contract. So that means JJ, NAW, Lonzo, Hayes. Melli etc.

The EASIEST way to do it is to flip a highly paid rookie scale guy for a lower paid rookie scale guy(s).

Lonzo is the EASIEST one to accomplish this with.
    13/x

Are we ready for the conspiracy? What if the reason this trade is being held up is because we're trying to get Lonzo to Charlotte with his brother and we're waiting to see what happens with Charlotte's cap space?
    14/x

Depending on what Charlotte decides to do with Hayward (sign and trade someone or stretch Batum), Charlotte has a few options.

1) Take Lonzo cleanly into space for future picks
    2) Make an uneven trade if they don't have total space (Monk)
    3) Salary Match. (Monk + something)
    15/x

Honestly this logic can apply to Atlanta and New York as well. Both teams are trying to figure out what to do with their cap. But Charlotte seems a better fit for ... Big Baller reasons.

16/x

Anywho, watch this go in a completely different direction and 15 teams end up involved. But this is where my head was at today. I hope you enjoyed some cap minutia. Had to double and triple check things with @MasonGinsberg
    and @42PhD
    all day

If we give up an additional player of any potential value, this deal goes from a D to an F for me. The first thing Griffin/Langdon have done where I totally and strongly disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Biasvasospasm View Post
    If we give up an additional player of any potential value, this deal goes from a D to an F for me. The first thing Griffin/Langdon have done where I totally and strongly disagree.

Hoping for the best right now. but it sems a bit of a ******** show

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Hoping for the best right now. but it sems a bit of a ******** show
    Same.

Like Shamit as an analyst, but the near-obsession with trading Lonzo gets old. It comes across as having an axe to grind.

Not saying I wouldn’t trade him in the right deal, but I definitely wouldn’t just as salary flotsam, which is what this would be.

https://www.normantranscript.com/spo...d6e4f32e7.html

Steven Adams has a 7.5 percent trade kicker in the contract extension he signed with the Oklahoma City Thunder on Monday, multiple sources confirmed.

Simply waiving the 2.065 mil kicker won't magically make everything work. If Steveo doesn't waive it, it's gonna cost us a better asset (Lonzo, Melli). It could even be the case regardless.

I'm not sure how much salary was owing before the kicker needs to be taken into account, but I thought I read 2.2mil somewhere.

Pretty much hinges on Moore being a jolly good sport for this not to royally screw us. Or both Kenrich and Frank agreeing to minimums which is still possible.

******** show
    Last edited by AusPel; 11-22-2020 at 03:46 AM.

What if we sell the second round picks to OKC instead of just handing them over?

This seems very rushed by griff which is weird

Am I the only one who doesn't feel like this is a mess?

It seems to me that it's vantage point issue. It looks messy and confusing because we're on the outside looking in and we don't know what talks have been had with whom about what. Whereas I feel like for Griff and co, most of this was fairly ironed out before the trades were filed with the league and it's just a case of making sure the cap checks have been done and trying to finagle over the little things.

Maybe I'm wrong and it's just a huge house of cards that's about five minutes away from collapse, but I just don't feel like there's jeopardy here.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't feel like this is a mess?

Maybe I'm wrong and it's just a huge house of cards that's about five minutes away from collapse, but I just don't feel like there's jeopardy here.
    I am sure they have a solution determined. They have not given me any indications to this point that they don?t understand the cap (I.e. like what the Bucks are going through). I just am worried because they have already shown that they value this player way more than I do, the listed trade may not be the limit of what they are willing to give up to add him. I am worried that they are throwing in another player who should have some value as a prospect or player on their contract, such as Nickeil or Lonzo.

Quote Originally Posted by superstar7th View Post
    Yep. Another reason why moving Bledsoe made more sense. We would reach the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by superstar7th View Post
    It seems rushed because it's exactly that. Everything's condensed. More mistakes than usual are likely being made because of the time constraints and flow on pressures from that.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Yep. Another reason why moving Bledsoe made more sense. We would reach the numbers.
    You can bet Presti insisted on having Hill

Feels like as soon as OKC came on board, Presti has been bending Griff over.

Yeah this focus on ''we should have moved Bledsoe instead of Hill'' is kind of a strange one because for all we know, Griff tried to move Bledsoe rather than Hill and ran into a wall. It may just be that, for the reasons you would prefer to have Hill yourselves, other teams are far more interested in him than in Bledsoe.

Yeah this focus on ''we should have moved Bledsoe instead of Hill'' is kind of a strange one because for all we know, Griff tried to move Bledsoe rather than Hill and ran into a wall. It may just be that, for the reasons you would prefer to have Hill yourselves, other teams are far more interested in him than in Bledsoe.
    Have you heard rumblings?

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    You can bet Presti insisted on having Hill

Feels like as soon as OKC came on board, Presti has been bending Griff over.
    Which is exactly why we should have backed out of the deal.

I said it made more sense. And also, my thoughts are above this one. Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I said it made more sense. And also, my thoughts are above this one. Just my opinion
    So it's better to have 7 guards and some late picks than a starter quality centre?

Bledsoe may not be optimal but he is an NBA starting PG. He is good enough for that. Adams is a very good centre, even if he's not a superstar. I would much rather have that combination than have yet another guard clogging up our depth chart and the picks we gave up.

And no, if we end up losing Lonzo or Melli or something, that doesn't really trouble me either. I'd prefer to keep Melli if possible, but that's about the extent of my concern there.

Thread Information