Pelicans Report

Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast

Thread: Truncated Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    That's my biggest area of observation for Zion this year. He doesn't need to prove to me that he can score at the NBA level: he averaged 29 points per 36 on 62%TS as a rookie, he's proven that to me already.

He also doesn't need to prove to me that he can pass: he's shown that already, although I do want him to get more opportunities on ball to explore that more.

What I want to see from him this year is defensive improvement. He was a really good defender at Duke (4%STL, 6%BLK, 87.4 DRtg, +6.7 DBPM) and while I don't expect him to rack up those stats in the NBA (4%STL rating in the NBA has only been done 35 times ever, and only twice in the last 20 years, for example, and 87.4 DRtg would tie Ben Wallace for the best single season DRtg in NBA history) I do expect him to be a capable defender who can use his strength well and utilise his high level instincts and feel.

Watching him last season, it was clear that he was a step slow - part of that is just to the long layoff from injury, part of it you could argue is the weight, part of it is that the team defense sucked anyway so it's hard to just slot in a new guy, and another part is that he looked hesitant: there were times he clearly considered going for a block but decided not to, I think out of fear of fouling.

This season, with plenty of time to get in shape, the injury behind him, a new coach who puts more priority on defense, and him starting at the same time as everyone else, I want to see that defense start to come out. Nobody is expecting All-Defense sophomore seasons or anything, but he should be at a decent defender this year.
    I agree about the defense. However, I think the decrease efficiency between his college and pro days were due to his knee injury. He was noticeably tired on the court which leads most players to slack on the D end compared to the offense side of the ball. Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if the FO wanted him to take it easy on the D end. I was worried all season that he would go up for a block and come down on a foot... leading to another knee or ankle injury.

I think a healthy and conditioned Zion drastically picks it up up on D.

We currently have some pretty wild height/wingspans on the team.

Bledsoe is 6'1'' with a 6'8'' wingspan. Ingram is 6'7'' with a 7'3'' wingspan. Steven Adams is 6'11'' with a 7'5'' wingspan. Jax has a 7'4'' wingspan, and even someone like Zion who isn't massively lengthy is 6'6 with a 6'10'' wingspan.
    Basketball.

I think I heard from the guys from Pelican Writes or something like that they felt Ball and Shaw could handle the wing position. Getting Adams was great, but has limited the team's flexibility with the cap and with viable options for remaining roster spots.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Who's Shaw?
    Deckard Shaw. He’s a tenacious defender. But undersized, past his prime, and fictional. Not sure why or how we signed him.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Wenyan Gabriel and Thornwell finish out Pels roster for now. I like Gabriel. He’s athletic and has a high motor.

https://twitter.com/_Andrew_Lopez/st...178962946?s=20

I liked Thornwell last year. Good for him.

Now are we 4-Deep at each guard position now?

PG: LB, KL, NAW, EB
    SG: EB, JJ, JH, ST
    Last edited by As I See It; 11-23-2020 at 05:02 PM.

Guys I'm not sure, he's being a little unclear, but I think Shams is trying to tell us that Demarcus Cousins signed a deal with Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee2000 View Post
    I think I heard from the guys from Pelican Writes or something like that they felt Ball and Shaw could handle the wing position. Getting Adams was great, but has limited the team's flexibility with the cap and with viable options for remaining roster spots.
    What viable options exactly? Who do they want this team to go sign?

Guys I'm not sure, he's being a little unclear, but I think Shams is trying to tell us that Demarcus Cousins signed a deal with Houston.
    Lolz

Montrez claiming Clippers didnt want him back.

"I feel that if you spend your career in any place long enough, you're going to want to still keep playing there and keep growing there," Harrell said. "So, of course I still have great respect for those guys and for that organization. But like I said, as far as they wanted me back, obviously it doesn't seem that way, does it?"
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...iness-decision

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Montrez claiming Clippers didnt want him back.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...iness-decision
    Don't blame them. He is extremely limited and Ibaka is a massive upgrade for them.

It's true that in the regular season, Harrell's energy and rim running has a ton of value, but the Clippers aren't a team that's making decisions based on regular season value; they're going for rings. Therefore having someone with Harrell's limited auxiliary game and awful defense isn't that useful to them.

I'm sure they probably would have kept him around for the min or something, but obviously he wants more than that at this point in his career. That's fine, he's entitled to want more than that, but the Clippers don't necessarily owe him that money.

Quote Originally Posted by ozwego15 View Post
    Very emotional back story for Gabriel.

https://www.blazersedge.com/2020/1/2...y-contract-nba
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 11-23-2020 at 07:26 PM.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Deckard Shaw. He’s a tenacious defender. But undersized, past his prime, and fictional. Not sure why or how we signed him.

Disregard - she just trollin
    Last edited by AusPel; 11-23-2020 at 08:16 PM.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like we are
    Going into training camp with this lineup:

PG: Ball/Lewis/NAW
    SG: Bledsoe/Redick/Thornwell
    SF: Ingram/Hart/Marshall (2-way)
    PF: Williamson/Melli/Gabriel
    C: Adams/Hayes/Hernangomez

I think we will be competing for the 8th playoff spot again and will be a significantly better defensive team with Adams specifically.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 11-24-2020 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Going into training camp with lineup:

PG: Ball/NAW/Lewis
    Pretty much correct in terms of names, even if I think your decision to describe some players positions this way are a bit odd.

Looks like the Lakers will start AD at center, or it'll have to be Gasol or Harrell.

Gasol's big behind has never averaged double digit rebounds at any point in his career.

Going into training camp with lineup:

PG: Ball/NAW/Lewis

I think we have room for Didi on this team as depth even though I know he is not coming over this year.

I think we have room for Didi on this team as depth even though I know he is not coming over this year.
    Didi would replace Thornwell pretty comfortably

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Didi would replace Thornwell pretty comfortably
    And Marshall as the 3rd string SF.

And Marshall as the 3rd string SF.
    Or Redick once he gets traded. I seriously doubt he just finishes his contract here and walks to a new team.

Thread Information