Pelicans Report

Thread: Corey Brewer Joins Pelicans Staff

Pelicans Corey Brewer Joins Pelicans Staff

This is pretty cool news to see. Corey Brewer is 6'9, weighs 190lbs absolutely maximum, could never shoot, and was a poor defender and somehow ended up having a 13 year NBA career which is just fantastically funny whatever else you think about it.

And, as Shamit points out:

Nobody on the Pels has a higher career high than Brewer
    Basketball.

I could see Hart or Jrue as head coaches down the line. Maybe JJ too.

I always wanted him to play for the Pels. He was such a good player, a real glue guy. He was my favorite player from those Billy Donovan Florida teams, and carved out a nice long career just being a solid player.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Same here, always wanted him on the bench at least. Plus he's played with Hart, Ball and Ingram so that's pretty cool.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

This is pretty cool news to see. Corey Brewer is 6'9, weighs 190lbs absolutely maximum, could never shoot, and was a poor defender and somehow ended up having a 13 year NBA career which is just fantastically funny whatever else you think about it.

And, as Shamit points out:

Nobody on the Pels has a higher career high than Brewer
    Brewer was not a poor defender.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Brewer was not a poor defender.
    I should correct: he was not an noteworthy defender. There was no time that I saw him placed on someone and thought ''oh boy, time for a lockdown''. He was acceptable within certain schemes, but had clear limitations that put a serious cap on his impact level on D.

That is to say, he was not good enough on D for that alone to explain a 13 year career.

I should correct: he was not an noteworthy defender. There was no time that I saw him placed on someone and thought ''oh boy, time for a lockdown''. He was acceptable within certain schemes, but had clear limitations that put a serious cap on his impact level on D.

That is to say, he was not good enough on D for that alone to explain a 13 year career.
    I want you to share a list of players in the NBA you like/are good

Seemingly, your evaluations of current players are all filled with all their flaws. Yet, you have glowing things to say about guys not yet in the league. I mean, Jaylen Brown is nothing special and Ingram is flawed, but you love Okoro. If Okoro becomes 70% of Jaylen or Ingram, I will be shocked. So, who do you think is good? Start with the Pelicans....do we have any good players?
    @mcnamara247

Brewer was a good defender. Is your definition of a good defender only those that lock down a player every play?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I want you to share a list of players in the NBA you like/are good

Seemingly, your evaluations of current players are all filled with all their flaws. Yet, you have glowing things to say about guys not yet in the league. I mean, Jaylen Brown is nothing special and Ingram is flawed, but you love Okoro. If Okoro becomes 70% of Jaylen or Ingram, I will be shocked. So, who do you think is good? Start with the Pelicans....do we have any good players?
    In one case I am evaluating a 19 year old prospect in comparison to his peers. In the other case, I'm talking about guys with years of NBA experience asking to be paid multiple tens of millions of dollars. Please be aware that the level of critique given is adjusted based on the context of the player. Ingram is today a much better NBA player than rookie Okoro will be, there is no doubt about that in my mind. There's even, as you say, a real chance that Okoro *never* becomes as good as Ingram is today. The distinction is that Okoro is 19 and is a draft prospect, whereas Ingram is in line for a max contract and the conversations are about whether or not he's a core piece on a title contender. Different conversations entail different levels of scrutiny.

Yeah we have good players. I like Jrue, I like Zion, I like Ingram. I think Favors is flawed in a lot of ways and might not be the perfect guy for our team right now but he was really good in Utah and I think he can be good again. JJ has problems that make him exploitable in the playoffs but he's a good NBA player who has more than earned his credit.

The problem is that there's this tendency within the NBA for people to become such fans of players that they take anything other than unabashed praise as slander. Take Ingram as an example: I was very sceptical about him prior to this last year, and thought he was a pretty sub-par player on the Lakers. He came here, he improved in a lot of ways, and took incredible leaps. My perspective on him has therefore changed a lot, overall. That does not change the fact that he has serious issues defensively, his decision making is far from elite, and his shooting isn't quite as valuable as the raw percentages might imply due to his inability to shoot off the dribble.

He's still a good player. He's a top 40 player. But for some reason, acknowledging that someone is flawed is unacceptable now. Any discussion of a player that doesn't just boil down to ''wow they're fantastic, they were a bucket, they were a problem!'' is taken as a grave insult. What, am I supposed to pretend Corey Brewer was some elite roleplayer that every team was desperate for? Please.

It is not unacceptable to point out a players flaws. But that is also the easiest thing to do. Every player is flawed and once you have to start paying them, it seems to be the main thing people focus on. But when a guy is 19 and making rookie wage, he is seen through optimistic lenses. Anything is possible.

But spoiler alert...he is just going to become another expensive, flawed player. And that's the BEST case scenario

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    It is not unacceptable to point out a players flaws. But that is also the easiest thing to do. Every player is flawed and once you have to start paying them, it seems to be the main thing people focus on. But when a guy is 19 and making rookie wage, he is seen through optimistic lenses. Anything is possible.

But spoiler alert...he is just going to become another expensive, flawed player. And that's the BEST case scenario
    *thumbs up*

Thread Information