Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 NBA Draft Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    If we can?t get Beal. I?d do everything I could do get Kuminga and Green. I think a finishing lineup of Kira, Green, BI, Zion, and Kuminga would be electric and fun for years.
    Green and Kuminga both going top 5 so that’s basically impossible

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    That SGA/Mobley PnR is about to whip ****** for a decade
    Gonna be fun to watch.

Also, it's still early days for the G League Ignite guys but my pre-season Kuminga > Green take is looking better by the minute.

Slightly surprised to see him being outplayed by Daishen Nix though. I like Nix, but I had him in the mid teens; not sure how much of it is Nix overperforming or Green underperforming, honestly. Need to see more.
    Kuminga is going to be a star. Most players as long and athletic and fast as he is aren’t as strong as he is also, he can be a better Siakam honestly, but my worry is with his lack of a 3pt shot idk how j like him next to Zion.

Also what I was hearing was Green has looked very good in those 3 gleague games, even shooting a high percentage from 3 and the FT line. The kid has all the tools to be elite. I see some Donovan Mitchell in him
    Last edited by HornetGuru; 02-15-2021 at 01:19 AM.

Also I don’t think we’ll have a chance to get him anyway because he’s going top 3.

Right now my big board goes

1. Cade
    2. Mobley
    3. Kuminga
    4. Green
    5. Suggs
    6. Moody

Doesn't seem to be a unicorn Center in this draft, which makes me a bit less interested than I'd usually be in this draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    Doesn't seem to be a unicorn Center in this draft, which makes me a bit less interested than I'd usually be in this draft.
    Mobley is really, really, really good. Like, really good. In most drafts he'd be a fairly clear number 1. When you run down the list of college seasons where players put up comparable numbers to him, the list spits out names like Anthony Davis, Zion Williamson, and Karl Anthony Towns. Now, he's not better than those guys on these lists, he falls generally behind them, but those are the only sorts of names who are better. Which tells you a lot.

He's only had 2 games with less than 2 blocks all year.
    Basketball.

Based on seeing the first few G League Ignite games start to come out, as well as watching some more games for the other guys, I think my current tier list is looking something like this:

Tier 1:
    - Cade Cunningham

Tier 2:
    Evan Mobley

Tier 3:
    - Kuminga
    - Suggs
    - Jalen Springer
    - Jalen Johnson

Tier 4:
    - Jalen Green
    - Moses Moody
    - Daishen Nix
    - Sharife Cooper
    - Usman Garuba
    - Scottie Barnes

Tier 5:
    - Ziaire Williams
    - Kai Jones
    - Corey Kispert
    - James Bouknight
    - Jared Butler
    - David Thompson
    - JT Thor
    - Sengun Alperen
    - Bennedict Mathurin
    - BJ Boston
    - Bones Hyland

Tier 6:
    - Roko Prcakin
    - Deuce McBride
    - Day'Ron Sharpe
    - David Duke Jr
    - Santi Aldama

Something like that. That's basically an entire first round worth of names at this point, still more to go.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 02-15-2021 at 06:51 AM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I wonder how much muscle Mobley can add. If he ever get totally jacked he could be David Robinson 2.0. From a strictly body and athleticism perspective. The Admiral was one of the best athletes above 7’ I’d ever seen until Giannis.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I wonder how much muscle Mobley can add. If he ever get totally jacked he could be David Robinson 2.0. From a strictly body and athleticism perspective. The Admiral was one of the best athletes above 7’ I’d ever seen until Giannis.
    I think he's a different type of athlete. For all that Robinson was absolutely jacked to the gills and ridiculously strong, I don't think he was actually the elite mover (particularly laterally) that he seems to be remembered as. He was good, don't get me wrong, but he was far more impressive as a straightline/jump-speed guy than a lateral mover. Mobley isn't like that, really. He's strong, but not monstrously so, but his fluidity of motion is his real strength.

Giannis is more like Robinson than Mobley is, imo. Similar straight line speed and burst, with similar limitations laterally.

Again, just to clarify, that's not to claim Robinson or Giannis are immobile stiffs. They absolutely are/were not. We're talking about fairly small degrees of difference here.

All true. Just it’s I don’t recall who else has been this fluid and quick at that height. And he’s not even running flat out. Robonson’s game was very different. Old school paint dominant only. With touch out to like 10 or 15 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    All true. Just it’s I don’t recall who else has been this fluid and quick at that height. And he’s not even running flat out. Robonson’s game was very different. Old school paint dominant only. With touch out to like 10 or 15 feet.
    I know it's kind of the cliche at the moment but he's a bit like AD as a mover. I mean AD when he was a few years into the league and was running DPOY campaigns, not rookie AD who still had some movement skills to work out.

On the flipside of that, he doesn't quite have AD's preternatural sense for things, but then, who did at college? There's a reason college AD was being lauded as potentially the best defender in basketball since Bill Russell.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Green and Kuminga both going top 5 so that’s basically impossible
    The only way we could get both would be to win lottery and then spend draft assets for the second one.

I know it's kind of the cliche at the moment but he's a bit like AD as a mover. I mean AD when he was a few years into the league and was running DPOY campaigns, not rookie AD who still had some movement skills to work out.

On the flipside of that, he doesn't quite have AD's preternatural sense for things, but then, who did at college? There's a reason college AD was being lauded as potentially the best defender in basketball since Bill Russell.
    Rookie to mid 20s AD probably fell down more than any player I'd ever seen.

Cade just finishing up playing the 5 in a series of possessions where he guards 6'11 George Conditt despite being a 6'7 PG.

Normal things.

21 second long clip. In this, Cade:

1) Accurately mirrors his assignment
    2) Rotates early to cover the shooter
    3) Recovers in time to tag
    4) Tracks the pass and intercepts for the steal
    5) Takes it full-court
    6) Behind the back dribble to lose his man and create space
    7) Pull-up jumper drops in easy

2 way prospect

The Franchise
    I think Cade will be awesome on offense but bad on defense. He just looks a step slow and it’ll be worse in the nba. Before y’all go crazy I think he could be like Doncic but a little better defensively which would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I think Cade will be awesome on offense but bad on defense. He just looks a step slow and it’ll be worse in the nba. Before y’all go crazy I think he could be like Doncic but a little better defensively which would be awesome.
    I think he's going to be a very good defender, though probably a step under 'great'. He's a brilliant college defender, and not because he's just dominant physically or anything but just because he knows where to be all the time and constantly reads the floor, acting before plays develop rather than reacting to consequences. That kind of play tends to translate over relatively problem-free.

Or at least, it did when it was Brandon Clarke, and then again when it was Xavier Tillman, just to pick examples from recent drafts.

Nobody in the NBA is slower than Kyle Anderson, and yet he manages to be a solid defender every year without all of the genius floor-reading that someone like Cade has, so I buy the defense for Cade.

He will be a stud regardless of whether he is a top defender. Whoever gets #1 will run that pick to the podium.

Mobley is really, really, really good. Like, really good. In most drafts he'd be a fairly clear number 1. When you run down the list of college seasons where players put up comparable numbers to him, the list spits out names like Anthony Davis, Zion Williamson, and Karl Anthony Towns. Now, he's not better than those guys on these lists, he falls generally behind them, but those are the only sorts of names who are better. Which tells you a lot.

He's only had 2 games with less than 2 blocks all year.
    Yea I've watched a few game reels of him, my concern is he's just way undersized for NBA C and will be better suits to play PF IMO. I get that he'd be a great situational fit AS a C but I'm really hoping for something else as this teams dream 5

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    Yea I've watched a few game reels of him, my concern is he's just way undersized for NBA C and will be better suits to play PF IMO. I get that he'd be a great situational fit AS a C but I'm really hoping for something else as this teams dream 5
    He's 7'0 with a 7'5 wingspan and weighs 220lbs at age 19. I think he'll be fine at C, especially as he ages and adds a bit of weight, which his frame is well suited for.

Cade just dropped 40/11 on 57% from the field, 38% from 3, 92.8% from the line (13/14) against a top team on the road.

Against a top 10 team.

Could you imagine if we won the lottery and got Cade lol

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Could you imagine if we won the lottery and got Cade lol
    I've said it before in this thread but Cade + Zion = a decade of dominance, without much question, in my mind. No team with a competent FO would trade the pick if they got #1, but if for some reason they had a brain-lapse and did it, I would be willing to throw an unruly number of assets to get it.

Cade would be the clear #1 in most drafts (including this one) even if all he was was a 6'8 elite self-creator, shooter and 1v1 defender. The fact that he's all of that plus one of the best passers in the world and also a brilliant on-court communicator and has ice in his veins as a clutch time player, and also plays great team D?

I've said before that this generation of players will be defined by Luka, Zion, and Cade in the same way that this last generation has been Lebron, KD, and Curry, and frankly I still haven't shifted from that much. The only thing I would add is that Paolo Banchero in 2022 is looking to try and make an argument as the #4 (we might call them the D Wade equivalent, I guess) of the group.

We’re gonna finish way too good to have a shot at Cade. If not, the universe is in love with us.

I'm pretty comfortable with Mobley and Green being highest lottery pick ceiling at best. 1-3 seems pretty impossible. Feels like you can trade up to atleast 5th if you really wanted too.

I see Mobley falling just a little bit while being my 2nd favorite because the NBA is really a guard league.

If you really want Mobley... You should be able to get him.
    Last edited by Taker597; 02-27-2021 at 07:57 PM.

Thread Information