Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 NBA Draft Discussion

He's good! I wouldn't take him lottery but if we ended up having a second pick, or if we traded back, or whatever, then I wouldn't mind Duke in that 18-30 range, depending on who is left on the board at that time.
    Basketball.

Not a firm board yet, still have some guys I want to see more of before I rank them at all and some guys I'm not really sure on, so it's just tiers right now and there are a bunch of names missing, but this is roughly how I have this draft at the moment.

Tier 1
    - Cade Cunningham

Tier 2
    - Evan Mobley
    - Jalen Suggs

Tier 3
    - Sharife Cooper
    - Jonathan Kuminga
    - Moses Moody
    - Jalen Johnson
    - Jaden Springer
    - Jalen Green

Tier 4
    - Usman Garuba
    - Ziaire Williams
    - Corey Kispert
    - Bones Hyland
    - David Johnson
    - Scottie Barnes
    - James Bouknight
    - Keon Johnson
    - Daishen Nix
    - Bones Hyland
    - Roko Prcakin

And then just like, a bunch of guys. Kai Jones, Ariel Hukporti, Franz Wagner, BJ Boston, Ben Mathurin, so on and so forth.

Very very good draft. Top 5 is very heavy and the rest of the draft is deep. This is the year you want multiple picks

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Very very good draft. Top 5 is very heavy and the rest of the draft is deep. This is the year you want multiple picks
    Miami are unexpectedly sucking and OKC have their pick and the best pick of their own and Houston's
    Last edited by AusPel; 01-30-2021 at 10:25 AM.

This draft has some absolutely elite names, especially if you're into alliteration. And I think we can all agree that is, by far, the most predictive trait for superstardom at the next level.

The Franchise
    There’s some good players but I’d easily give up a top 5 protected pick to upgrade our team. If let’s say Lavine or Beal is available I’m dropping this year protected first and at least 2 others from bucks and lakers. For Beal I’d give 4 firsts.

Now if we can’t get them then yes stack up on picks and if possible grab Kuminga, Green, early then Kispert and Moody a little later

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    This draft has some absolutely elite names, especially if you're into alliteration. And I think we can all agree that is, by far, the most predictive trait for superstardom at the next level.
    I've long thought that there seems to be nominative determinism at work (in a kind of tangential way) in the NBA.

Most NBA players who are superstars just have names that sound like they should be superstars. There are exceptions, like Tim Duncan, but come on: Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant, Wilt Chamberlain, etc. Lots of very Famous Person Names.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I've long thought that there seems to be nominative determinism at work (in a kind of tangential way) in the NBA.

Most NBA players who are superstars just have names that sound like they should be superstars. There are exceptions, like Tim Duncan, but come on: Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant, Wilt Chamberlain, etc. Lots of very Famous Person Names.
    I know a dude that judges prospects by how they look and their name. It's frustrating how right he is...

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    I know a dude that judges prospects by how they look and their name. It's frustrating how right he is...
    It's weird and very odd.

Like, who's more likely to be an NBA superstar, Zion Williamson or James Jones? Just off names alone.

How would you feel about.....

Dallas gets: Eric Bledsoe

New Orleans gets: Maxi Kleber; Josh Richardson; and Dallas' '24 First Round Pick

Sign me up.

https://fadeawayworld.net/2021/01/30...s-this-season/

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post

New Orleans gets: Maxi Kleber; Josh Richardson; and Dallas' '24 First Round Pick

Sign me up.

If Dallas is willing to do that...who is taking the drugs?

Sign me up.

In a heartbeat, but this writer must be lost. Dallas loves Kleber, so to add Richardson and a 1st to him as part of the deal is nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    In a heartbeat, but this writer must be lost. Dallas loves Kleber, so to add Richardson and a 1st to him as part of the deal is nuts.
    Yeah, I'd do it but there's pretty much no way Dallas would.

Not a firm board yet, still have some guys I want to see more of before I rank them at all and some guys I'm not really sure on, so it's just tiers right now and there are a bunch of names missing, but this is roughly how I have this draft at the moment.

Tier 1
    - Cade Cunningham

Tier 2
    - Evan Mobley
    - Jalen Suggs

Tier 3
    - Sharife Cooper
    - Jonathan Kuminga
    - Moses Moody
    - Jalen Johnson
    - Jaden Springer
    - Jalen Green

Tier 4
    - Usman Garuba
    - Ziaire Williams
    - Corey Kispert
    - Bones Hyland
    - David Johnson
    - Scottie Barnes
    - James Bouknight
    - Keon Johnson
    - Daishen Nix
    - Bones Hyland
    - Roko Prcakin

And then just like, a bunch of guys. Kai Jones, Ariel Hukporti, Franz Wagner, BJ Boston, Ben Mathurin, so on and so forth.
    Also forgot to add Jared Butler who I really like and who slots into that Tier 4

Caught up on some more people.

I wonder if the early season ''this guy is the new Number One'' takes about Jalen Suggs have left any people feeling a bit silly since, as the season has gone on, as the Jalen Suggs who was averaging 16/6/6 on 55/55/58 splits is now suddenly the Jalen Suggs who, over his last ten games, is averaging 13/5/3 on 49/28/77 splits.

I mean, it shouldn't be a huge knock on him because he's still been good and the defense is still there and the passing is still solid and stuff, he's still a clear top ten pick and still extremely justifiable inside the top 5 as well. But early on there were those who were acting like he was the new guy in the draft, and it just hasn't happened at all.

Also, it's still early days for the G League Ignite guys but my pre-season Kuminga > Green take is looking better by the minute.

Slightly surprised to see him being outplayed by Daishen Nix though. I like Nix, but I had him in the mid teens; not sure how much of it is Nix overperforming or Green underperforming, honestly. Need to see more.

The Franchise
    Also, it's still early days for the G League Ignite guys but my pre-season Kuminga > Green take is looking better by the minute.

Slightly surprised to see him being outplayed by Daishen Nix though. I like Nix, but I had him in the mid teens; not sure how much of it is Nix overperforming or Green underperforming, honestly. Need to see more.
    If we can?t get Beal. I?d do everything I could do get Kuminga and Green. I think a finishing lineup of Kira, Green, BI, Zion, and Kuminga would be electric and fun for years.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    If we can?t get Beal. I?d do everything I could do get Kuminga and Green. I think a finishing lineup of Kira, Green, BI, Zion, and Kuminga would be electric and fun for years.
    If we can't get Beal then just sell the farm for Cade, honestly. No need to go second best when you're already pushing in the chips.

Sign me up.

This is possibly the most lopsided trade I've ever seen on the Internet

Can I please have some of dem crack rocks

If we can't get Beal then just sell the farm for Cade, honestly. No need to go second best when you're already pushing in the chips.
    How can you sell the farm for something that's only crystallised by futures

The Franchise
    I don’t think whoever get the first pick will trade it same with us and Zion. It’ll be hard enough to trade into the top 4-5 to get green or Kuminga. Be nice to win the lottery again or even top 3 then spend money on another high pick.

I don’t think whoever get the first pick will trade it same with us and Zion. It’ll be hard enough to trade into the top 4-5 to get green or Kuminga. Be nice to win the lottery again or even top 3 then spend money on another high pick.
    You won't see a repeat of 2020 any time soon

Then again, maybe you will

However, LaMelo looking like he should have been a lock for 1st. My bet also said so goddamit

But since the Wolves are run even worse than we are, here we are
    Last edited by AusPel; 02-14-2021 at 09:39 AM.

Right now, from the extremely small sample we've seen, Green isn't a top 5 pick. Which isn't a shock, I had him.somewhere like 7th preseason, and he hasn't shown much growth early on.

Still ball to play of course, but that's my early thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Miami are unexpectedly sucking and OKC have their pick and the best pick of their own and Houston's
    Damn, OKC about to do it again and draft another Durant Westbrook harden combo ��

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Damn, OKC about to do it again and draft another Durant Westbrook harden combo ��
    That SGA/Mobley PnR is about to whip ****** for a decade

Thread Information