Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 NBA Draft Discussion

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I've only seen the highlights of Cade you post here, but he reminds of Luka with the crafty dribbling and vision

Let's hope that Lakers 2021 pick lands us #1 this year
    LeBron would have to go down hard. And I can’t bring myself to actively wish for a serious injury. It bums me out Klay won’t be playing this year and probably won’t ever be right again.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    LeBron would have to go down hard. And I can’t bring myself to actively wish for a serious injury. It bums me out Klay won’t be playing this year and probably won’t ever be right again.
    Yeah it was tongue in cheek since Lakers are expected to finish top again

Yeah it was tongue in cheek since Lakers are expected to finish top again
    I would legitimately be tempted to empty the basket for Cade.

Cade + Zion with even only an average supporting cast is a decade of dominance. Absolute dynasty defining core pieces.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Cade + Zion with even only an average supporting cast is a decade of dominance. Absolute dynasty defining core pieces.
    Reckon Knicks could be tempted with BI + a ********load of picks?

Reckon Knicks could be tempted with BI + a ********load of picks?
    Probably, honestly. There's a reason that I've been saying for like, the last 18 months, that every trade that proposes moving a 2021 FRP is a big problem: you are essentially forfeiting the Cade race. Obviously if you're a super good team, then that's fine you never had a chance anyway because you're probably picking in the 20s, but if you're a team with any odds to be in the lottery for 2021 and you move your pick, you are being foolish unless what you're getting back is a surefire star.

But you know who is foolish all the time? Knicks.

Love Moody. Can't believe how underrated he was coming into this college year, he was great in pre-college play.

#CollectPicksForCade

Absolutely. If there is any chance for us to move into the #1 pick, you move heaven and earth to make it happen. Anything but Zion should be on the table because those two would be so easy to build a contender around.

A team wouldnt move the #1 pick if there was a transcedent player in the draft. You could have pick #2 and offer them 15 additional picks and they wouldnt do it.

We offered a boatload to try to go from 4 to 2 for Ja and it was never even considered by Memphis. With Cade, the hope has to be either that we get incredibly lucky and get the first pick or you hope that at least he goes out East. You would hate for a team like OKC to get him and be set up with two great young guards who can play both ends, a ton of cap flexibility and 100 picks
    @mcnamara247

I feel like Jalen Johnson’s iffy half-court game will make him fall out of the Top 10 and right into our laps at 13-16

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    A team wouldnt move the #1 pick if there was a transcedent player in the draft. You could have pick #2 and offer them 15 additional picks and they wouldnt do it.
    Yeah, we all know teams never pass on transcendent talents for stupid reasons. That's why Luka went #1 in his draft.

In all seriousness though, I think everyone is aware of the fact that trading for the #1 pick in a draft with an obvious transcendent talent is unlikely. I wouldn't think it as unlikely as you apparently do - I think if you offered a team 16 picks, that would probably not do it largely because that many picks would ultimately become redundant, but if you were trading a bona fide all-star as part of that package then I think things change - but it's still unlikely.

Yeah, we all know teams never pass on transcendent talents for stupid reasons. That's why Luka went #1 in his draft.
    Probably got a bit to do with Luka not in college in the states

I had Luka #1 that draft. You know, just for the record

How does Serb Vlade, not take Serb Luka at #2?

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by akhan786 View Post
    I feel like Jalen Johnson’s iffy half-court game will make him fall out of the Top 10 and right into our laps at 13-16
    I’m hoping this is the guy we can get with a trade. Our pick I’m hoping we win the lottery or at least a top 3 to grab Cade or Green.

Probably got a bit to do with Luka not in college in the states

I had Luka #1 that draft. You know, just for the record

How does Serb Vlade, not take Serb Luka at #2?
    Luka is not Serbian. He's from Slovenia. There is fairly good intel that, for various political reasons, part of the reason Vlade passed on Luka is that he does not believe Slovenia should be a country. Euro politics are a very strange thing, and this would not surprise me whatsoever.

But yeah, I also had Luka #1 in that draft (though in fairness I wasn't that deep into the draft then, compared to now) and so did the majority of independent scouts. He went 3rd. So multiple teams whiffed on him, despite him being the clear top prospect to all and sundry; teams pass on good things all the time.

Luka is not Serbian. He's from Slovenia. There is fairly good intel that, for various political reasons, part of the reason Vlade passed on Luka is that he does not believe Slovenia should be a country. Euro politics are a very strange thing, and this would not surprise me whatsoever.

But yeah, I also had Luka #1 in that draft (though in fairness I wasn't that deep into the draft then, compared to now) and so did the majority of independent scouts. He went 3rd. So multiple teams whiffed on him, despite him being the clear top prospect to all and sundry; teams pass on good things all the time.

Cade dropping the casual 29 points on 50/50/90 splits. It's actually pretty great how quickly his 3pt shot has translated: he was one of those guys pre-college where everyone kind of knew he would be a good shooter based on the shots he was taking, the FT%, and the touch inside the arc, but it hadn't quite translated yet. Seems like he made a few adjustments before hitting the college game and now the shot is just aesthetically gorgeous and it's falling at a very high rate early in the year.

He's now averaging 20.6/5.6/4.0 on 50/47/86.2 splits on the season. Taking over 3 attempts from 3 per game, many of which are pull-ups, and getting to the line reasonably often as well; it's not an overwhelming amount, but he's averaging about 5 shots at the line per game right now which is solid.

Wish he was in a better circumstance to show off the playmaking. As of right now, he continues making the passes but nothing comes of them so it's pretty sad to see.

Also watching college coaches, it's so clear what their job is. The job of a high profile college coach is to recruit talent and serve as that public face, not to actually maximise any given roster that's in front of them. To a degree that makes sense, obviously their rosters turn over massively year on year as talent passes through into the NBA so it's hard to have a consistent style that actually caters to all the players you get, and you can't rely on continuity or anything, but it's still true.

I say this watching the Duke/Illinois game and wondering what Coach K is doing the majority of the time.

Also Andre Curbelo is very fun and will be a first round pick

I get the concerns about Curbelo, he's listed at 6'1 and even that may be a touch generous, and he's not that strong, not a great defender, and he's not lightning quick, but he just gets it. So much feel, such fantastic body control, really high tier shot making at times. He lives to embarrass people bigger than him Not a lottery pick because I think some of those limitations will hold him back and he's not the transcendent talent elsewhere to justify it like someone like Trae was, but he'll probably end up ranked in the 20s for me.

Haven't watched the USC game yet, but I just thought I'd check the box score to see how Mobley was doing and uh yep, he's doing the thing.

22/10 with 4 blocks on 8/12 shooting, including 2/4 from 3. Such a good big man prospect, honestly. Top 5 this year, probably top 3 unless there are some unexpected surges.

Isn’t Luka's Dad Serbian?
    Last edited by bogiesfedora; 12-09-2020 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bogiesfedora View Post
    Isn’t Luka's Dad Serbian?
    His dad was born when it was still Yugoslavia, which is part of the dispute, surrounding Yugoslavia and its breakup into constituent countries.

Speaking of Luka's dad, Divacs apparently knew him from prior to the draft and had a personal dislike of him, which was another factor in him passing over Luka. Which is quite funny.

His dad was born when it was still Yugoslavia, which is part of the dispute, surrounding Yugoslavia and its breakup into constituent countries.

Speaking of Luka's dad, Divacs apparently knew him from prior to the draft and had a personal dislike of him, which was another factor in him passing over Luka. Which is quite funny.
    I'd rather Sacramento (even more Atlanta) have Doncic than Dallas though

I meant ethnically.

Quote Originally Posted by bogiesfedora View Post
    I meant ethnically.
    Sure, Wikipedia lists him as a Serb so I guess so.

Thread Information