Pelicans Report

Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 NBA Draft Discussion

It's be just as silly to use a 10th pick on Kispert as it was to use an 11th pick on Doug McDermott. And you can still sign Dougy McBuckets this year as a UFA.

Just looking at the top 5 picks, the team that stands out to me is Toronto. Sure enough, after they landed that 4th pick, their GM said this:

"The value from (pick No.) 7 to 4, even if you look at it historically, whether it's the player or a trade, it's meaningful. All of our options are open and as much as we love the pick, we're also going to see what it yields outside of the draft," he stated, according to TSN's Josh Lewenberg.
    I can think of a few things I'd toss their way for that 4th pick.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Just looking at the top 5 picks, the team that stands out to me is Toronto. Sure enough, after they landed that 4th pick, their GM said this:

I can think of a few things I'd toss their way for that 4th pick.
    Who would u draft with the 4th pick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post

Only if Mobley or Green was there

My issue with Kispert is he's not going to come in to the league shooting like Duncan Robinson.

The list of guys who came into the league great movement shooters day 1 in the last 20 years is 3 guys (Korver, Curry, Thompson). All of whom shot 3s on higher volume than Kispert in college.

So what if it takes Kispert time to figure it out? It took some guys until their 2nd or third teams.

And it's not like Cam Johnson, Bane, Nesmith, Bey where he has other abilities to fall back on if he can't figure it out right away. He's not an off the dribble threat or a great passer and defensively he's not impactful. He's pretty good attacking closeouts and around the rim, but not exceptionally good or anything.

He does have size though which helps. I just don't know if he's a lottery pick if he's shooting under 6 3s a game in the NBA, even if the percentages are good. It's not hard to find your guy if you're just looking for a guy who hits open ones at 40%.

I'm on the kispert train, I would take a chance on him being the Pelicans Joe Harris.

He shot 60/40/90 this year.
    Just another Kiwi basking in the reflected glory of Steven Adams....bask bask...

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    My issue with Kispert is he's not going to come in to the league shooting like Duncan Robinson.

The list of guys who came into the league great movement shooters day 1 in the last 20 years is 3 guys (Korver, Curry, Thompson). All of whom shot 3s on higher volume than Kispert in college.

So what if it takes Kispert time to figure it out? It took some guys until their 2nd or third teams.

And it's not like Cam Johnson, Bane, Nesmith, Bey where he has other abilities to fall back on if he can't figure it out right away. He's not an off the dribble threat or a great passer and defensively he's not impactful. He's pretty good attacking closeouts and around the rim, but not exceptionally good or anything.

He does have size though which helps. I just don't know if he's a lottery pick if he's shooting under 6 3s a game in the NBA, even if the percentages are good. It's not hard to find your guy if you're just looking for a guy who hits open ones at 40%.
    The college 3 pt line has been moved back the last 3 years. So you're going to see guys shooting translate to the pros a lot more accurately moving forward.

Suggs or Green if one is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Suggs or Green if one is still there.
    And what if one is not still there?

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    And what if one is not still there?
    Mobley but he is probably going 2 or 3. It really just is a case of who falls to that spot

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    The college 3 pt line has been moved back the last 3 years. So you're going to see guys shooting translate to the pros a lot more accurately moving forward.
    It's still a different game. Kispert has deep range, that's not my concern. It's that that he's a mostly squared to the basket shooter with a low (albeit pretty quick) release. NBA defenses are smarter and are going to make him take tougher shots on the move.

I still think Kispert is going to be good, but it wouldn't shock me if he's either a low volume guy or a sub 40% guy his first two years, at which point we'll wish we went a different direction at 10. Don't think he's going to come in to the league shooting 47% on volume like Joe Harris

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    It's still a different game. Kispert has deep range, that's not my concern. It's that that he's a mostly squared to the basket shooter with a low (albeit pretty quick) release. NBA defenses are smarter and are going to make him take tougher shots on the move.

I still think Kispert is going to be good, but it wouldn't shock me if he's either a low volume guy or a sub 40% guy his first two years, at which point we'll wish we went a different direction at 10. Don't think he's going to come in to the league shooting 47% on volume like Joe Harris
    Your analysis is incorrect. He is deadly accurate off pick and roll and pull ups. You need to watch more film on this guy. He is always moving. He?s very good circling screens and pulling up.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Still a month and 2 days away boys. So close, yet so far.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Only if Mobley or Green was there
    Too many on this board are low on Suggs. Dude is gonna be a stud and is the perfect 2 guard for this team. He reminds me of a more polished Jamal Murray coming out. We're always complaining about our stars not being 'clutch' enough in the final moments of games, Suggs is the most proven prospect of the big 4, down the stretch. Anytime the big moment presented itself, dude would never shy away and he usually came through for his team. We desperately need someone like him.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Too many on this board are low on Suggs. Dude is gonna be a stud and is the perfect 2 guard for this team. He reminds me of a more polished Jamal Murray coming out. We're always complaining about our stars not being 'clutch' enough in the final moments of games, Suggs is the most proven prospect of the big 4, down the stretch. Anytime the big moment presented itself, dude would never shy away and he usually came through for his team. We desperately need someone like him.
    I'm honestly confused why the top four prospects are even being discussed further. We are not getting any of them, but if that's not the conversation then I'll see myself out.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

To be fair....Trey Burke did that too and this board - and many others - loved him too. There are tons of guys who were great in college that didnt approach that level of success in the pros.

I think Suggs will be really good, but we have seen enough guys be clutch in college and not be that in the NBA, that we shouldnt just assume it translates
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Your analysis is incorrect. He is deadly accurate off pick and roll and pull ups. You need to watch more film on this guy. He is always moving. He?s very good circling screens and pulling up.
    Deadly accurate might be a bit overzealous.

He generated 1.044 PPP off screens. In the 69% percentile. Good but not great. Plus only 40 of his 399 field goal attempts were off screens.

57% of his field goal attempts were either spot ups or in transition. Only 10% were off screens and only 6% PnR ballhandler.

On top of the high IQ, has the NBA athleticism on top of that. Strong with speed and very strong on defense.

One of the few players I saw use speed and strength to push Davion Mitchell into the paint for a layup, where most other top prospects had to just try and shoot over him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    I've watched more film on him than you probably. He's for sure not a true pull up shooter as of now. There've been some glimpses of on the move shooting but he still needs to step in to his shot. No shame in it though, very few shooters can adjust midair even at the NBA level.

I like the way he moves off ball which is an important skill not every shooter has, but that's not what I mean when I say 'movement shooter'

If we do draft him though I like the way he sets screens. He could do that 2 man game with Zion pretty effectively even if he doesn't improve at anything.

And I still think he'll improve just like he's done every season so far.
    Last edited by Pelifan; 06-27-2021 at 09:16 PM.

Darius Day returning to LSU. Takes name out draft.

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/lsu-b...ason/97040170/

Mobley or Suggs are the two players you would be looking at...

I'm honestly surprised with how much people have cooled on Suggs.

For a hot minute

It was.

Cade/Green/Suggs

Which makes sense when looking at the current landscape of the NBA. Star guards are just more valuable and sought after, but it's kind of weird how getting drummed in the National Championship game would cool you off. All year... It's been he's been a top 3 pick this and that. They lose and he still had a solid game, but the hype for him got out control.

So, getting 4th and maybe getting Mobley or Suggs was a big hope for me.
    Last edited by Taker597; 06-29-2021 at 12:18 PM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Hm...Deuce McBride. That's a NOLA first name if you ask me. I wish he were taller. But he makes up for it. Quick as hell. 6'8" wingspan on a 6'2" frame. Plus 3pt shooter. Gets after it defensively. And he's strong as hell. I wonder where he'll slip to...

Hall of Famer
    Mcbride has some Marcus smart to him

If they were picking later I wouldn't mind him

Playing for Huggins he has that personality this team could use

[QUOTE=Taker597;1560331]Mobley or Suggs are the two players you would be looking at...

I'm honestly surprised with how much people have cooled on Suggs.

For a hot minute

It was.

Cade/Green/Suggs
    /QUOTE]

I've had it Cade/Mobley since about mid November

I think right now I have Cade/Mobley/Green as my top three, and I think I could make an argument for about 4 different names at #4
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Hm...Deuce McBride. That's a NOLA first name if you ask me. I wish he were taller. But he makes up for it. Quick as hell. 6'8" wingspan on a 6'2" frame. Plus 3pt shooter. Gets after it defensively. And he's strong as hell. I wonder where he'll slip to...

I've got real doubts about Deuce, which is why I wouldn't take him lottery, but I do think he's very good. Frankly, if you're one of those people who has Davion Mitchell as a lottery pick there's zero reason not to have Deuce in there too. He's a better team defender and has more positive shooting indicators, even if he's less capable as a rim finisher.

Thread Information