Pelicans Report

Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 NBA Draft Discussion

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I like Cam Thomas. I dare say we try and move up for him if possible. He’s got an elite scorer’s mentality. I’d love to see him come off the bench. Especially if we move NAW like I think we will.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Davion Mitchell is growing on me. But he?s not gonna move any needles. Put him on a bad team and he might put up buckets and numbers. But does he crack the rotation on a team like the Bucks, Miami, or Utah?
    Players with his type of handle, always do well. Plus he's good at those off the dribble 3s that MM mentions. He would be a steal at 10

I like Cam Thomas. I dare say we try and move up for him if possible. He’s got an elite scorer’s mentality. I’d love to see him come off the bench. Especially if we move NAW like I think we will.
    He should be available. You mean trade up from the 2nd?

Use some of those high 2nds and try moving up to the late 1st...get Duarte.

This team's luck he'll end up getting sniped in the teens.

The Franchise
    At this point I think trade 10, draft Trey Murphy and Bones Hyland then make them 2-way players. They both shooters we could bring in later in the year like Naji. Hyland could be a combo guard in the mold of NAW which I’m guessing will be moved in a trade.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Use some of those high 2nds and try moving up to the late 1st...get Duarte.

This team's luck he'll end up getting sniped in the teens.
    We only have one high second now. Everything 40 and over is pretty worthless. You might be able to get 30 for 35 and 40, but that's absolutely best case scenario

Some quick combine takeaways:

Miles McBride is the big winner. Long wingspan, solid build and athletically he belongs.
    Scottie Lewis may have no actual basketball skill but he's a world class athlete
    Moody only 6'4.5" w/o shoes but that near 7'1" wingspan and hand size is monstrous
    Roko Prkacin is a big forward and solidly built for his age. 8'11" standing reach is impressive, I think he's going to fly up draft boards.

A lot of the consensus lotto picks measured poorly
    Mitchell 6'0" w/o shoes is rough
    Keon Johnson is a little small
    Barnes was a little shorter than expected but he's still pretty long

Who am I missing?

I hope we keep our picks and build through the draft. People would be happy with Fred VanVleet, Robert Covington or Lu Dort and they went undrafted. We should get a good player at 10. I'm hoping for a perimeter defender or someone who can distribute. My wishlist at 10 is:

Tier 1 Prospects:
    1. Davion Mitchell (pro ready and does it all. I'm hoping he falls but he's closer to Dame than he is to Trey Burke. We may have to trade up to 5 or 6 to get him)
    2. Scottie Barnes (not a great shooter but defends the length of the court and defends multiple positions, good passer, really unique player. I think he fits our team really well because we can line him up in so many different spots from 1 to 4 and he makes everyone around him better. Considering the makeup of our team I almost put him 1st)
    3. Keon Johnson (superb athlete, defensive stud and above the rim slasher. The idea of Keon Kira and Zion would be the fastest lineup in the league. High risk k high reward type pick but the athleticism has me drooling a little)
    4. Josh Giddey (bad on ball defender and bad shooter, but my God this man can pass. 6'9 PG with the best half court passing in the class. He would immediately upgrade over Bledsoe and could legit run the offense. Watching 1 game is more akin to watching a highlight reel. He's got special court vision)

Tier 2 Prospects:
    5. Moses Moody (3 & D shooting guard, needs to become more efficient. On paper it looks good bc he's a high scoring freshman with defensive potential but his shot selection was bad. In the words of my coach "I need makers not shooters." He's got potential but at 10 it feels like a slight reach)
    6. Franz Wagner (doesn't fit the athletic profile you look for but high energy all around player who can play a lot of roles, pass and defend. I worry about the lack of athleticism though)
    7. Jalen Johnson (athletic defender, really unrefined. Definitely the widest possible potential draft outcomes. Could go top 6 or late 1st)
    8. Alpern Sengun (offensive upside through the roof, young, only reason to get him is Zion insurance)
    9. Ayo Dosunmu (a lot of sources have him going late 1st but he is one of the most productive players statistically in the class. I could see him climbing draft boards much higher than projected because he's not a bad athlete or defender. If he was their guy we'd likely want to trade back though)

Round 2/Undrafted Targets:
    Quentin Grimes SG (extremely well rounded game)
    JT Thor PF (freakishly athletic defender, really fun to watch)
    Rokas Jokubaitis PG (really promising mid range game)
    Ochai Agbaji SG (well rounded 3 n D wing)
    Daishen Nix PG (big PG who can rebound)
    Nah'shon Hylan PG (Bones is instant buckets, he's a fan favorite around the league)

I know a lot of fans want shooting but I think we can get shooters in the 2nd round. Guys like Brynn Forbes, Duncan Robinson went undrafted. There's a bunch in this draft class too. Grimes from Houston may be our best fit especially if we lose Hart because he can shoot, rebound and play defense. All things considered I'm excited about this draft and don't want us to trade especially if we can get Mitchell or Barnes.

if we trade....

I want to to still draft a couple of guys outside of the lottery round.

JT Thor
    Cam Thomas
    Jared Butler

If we can hustle some picks from OKC... Get their 16 and 18.

Cam Thomas
    Kispert or JT Thor

I want us to invest in this draft so badly. Jared Butler heart concern is prime steal in the 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    We only have one high second now. Everything 40 and over is pretty worthless. You might be able to get 30 for 35 and 40, but that's absolutely best case scenario
    Not always. There have been plenty of good players drafted in the 40s, particularly the reigning MVP. However, I would expect they will be traded for future 2nds. Alternatively, there are some international players in that area that may be worthy of a draft and stash.

Not that it's surprising but...Keon Johnson breaks combine vertical record with a 48 inch max vert...an absolute beast on of an athlete. Questions on skill level notwithstanding.

Tennessee freshman Keon Johnson recorded a max vertical jump of 48 inches Thursday to break the NBA Draft Combine record in the drill.

Johnson, a 6-foot-5 wing projected to go ninth to the Sacramento Kings in Sam Vecenie’s latest NBA Mock Draft, broke the previous combine record by 2 1/2 inches. Kansas’ Kenny Gregory held the record of 45.5 inches for 20 years (2001).
    https://theathletic.com/news/keon-jo...=spotrac40off2

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Not that it's surprising but...Keon Johnson breaks combine vertical record with a 48 inch max vert...an absolute beast on of an athlete. Questions on skill level notwithstanding.

https://theathletic.com/news/keon-jo...=spotrac40off2

Keon Johnson is the player I really want. I've watched a ton of games recently from all the prospects and Kwon just seems like the best fit. He's so athletic, passes well, looks great above the rim, and plays with fantastic defensive intensity. His mid range game is promising too. I think he could help us win games without having to score. I'm really hoping he's available.

I doubt he actually jumped 48”.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutWannabe View Post
    I hope we keep our picks and build through the draft. People would be happy with Fred VanVleet, Robert Covington or Lu Dort and they went undrafted. We should get a good player at 10. I'm hoping for a perimeter defender or someone who can distribute. My wishlist at 10 is:

Tier 1 Prospects:
    1. Davion Mitchell (pro ready and does it all. I'm hoping he falls but he's closer to Dame than he is to Trey Burke. We may have to trade up to 5 or 6 to get him)
    2. Scottie Barnes (not a great shooter but defends the length of the court and defends multiple positions, good passer, really unique player. I think he fits our team really well because we can line him up in so many different spots from 1 to 4 and he makes everyone around him better. Considering the makeup of our team I almost put him 1st)
    3. Keon Johnson (superb athlete, defensive stud and above the rim slasher. The idea of Keon Kira and Zion would be the fastest lineup in the league. High risk k high reward type pick but the athleticism has me drooling a little)
    4. Josh Giddey (bad on ball defender and bad shooter, but my God this man can pass. 6'9 PG with the best half court passing in the class. He would immediately upgrade over Bledsoe and could legit run the offense. Watching 1 game is more akin to watching a highlight reel. He's got special court vision)

Tier 2 Prospects:
    5. Moses Moody (3 & D shooting guard, needs to become more efficient. On paper it looks good bc he's a high scoring freshman with defensive potential but his shot selection was bad. In the words of my coach "I need makers not shooters." He's got potential but at 10 it feels like a slight reach)
    6. Franz Wagner (doesn't fit the athletic profile you look for but high energy all around player who can play a lot of roles, pass and defend. I worry about the lack of athleticism though)
    7. Jalen Johnson (athletic defender, really unrefined. Definitely the widest possible potential draft outcomes. Could go top 6 or late 1st)
    8. Alpern Sengun (offensive upside through the roof, young, only reason to get him is Zion insurance)
    9. Ayo Dosunmu (a lot of sources have him going late 1st but he is one of the most productive players statistically in the class. I could see him climbing draft boards much higher than projected because he's not a bad athlete or defender. If he was their guy we'd likely want to trade back though)

Round 2/Undrafted Targets:
    Quentin Grimes SG (extremely well rounded game)
    JT Thor PF (freakishly athletic defender, really fun to watch)
    Rokas Jokubaitis PG (really promising mid range game)
    Ochai Agbaji SG (well rounded 3 n D wing)
    Daishen Nix PG (big PG who can rebound)
    Nah'shon Hylan PG (Bones is instant buckets, he's a fan favorite around the league)

I know a lot of fans want shooting but I think we can get shooters in the 2nd round. Guys like Brynn Forbes, Duncan Robinson went undrafted. There's a bunch in this draft class too. Grimes from Houston may be our best fit especially if we lose Hart because he can shoot, rebound and play defense. All things considered I'm excited about this draft and don't want us to trade especially if we can get Mitchell or Barnes.
    Moses Moody is better than all of those teir 1's but Barnes imo. He'll be a joe Johnson in the league for quite a while.
    His shooting and wingspan help him.comtrivute from day 1.

Josh giddy and keon Johnson aren't ready to help this squad like that. Most of our starting 5 alreadyike to operate w the bal,. Hence, a. Effecient off-ball scorer w length enough for D is needed

Moody

Oh yeah, id like Quentin Grimes as well

I doubt he actually jumped 48”.
    It wasn't a standing jump, he had a running start.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    Moses Moody is better than all of those teir 1's but Barnes imo. He'll be a joe Johnson in the league for quite a while.
    His shooting and wingspan help him.comtrivute from day 1.

Josh giddy and keon Johnson aren't ready to help this squad like that. Most of our starting 5 alreadyike to operate w the bal,. Hence, a. Effecient off-ball scorer w length enough for D is needed

Moody

Oh yeah, id like Quentin Grimes as well
    Yea I'm still watching the prospects so my rankings are constantly changing. Giddey's defense is so bad. Moody and Johnson are starting to creep into my tier 1 instead of Giddey. Grimes lit up the combine game too so I need dude to chill so he'll be available lol

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    That?s standard for max vet though. The real issue is he likely cheated his standing reach measurements which they just subtract from where you reach to calculate vertical. Like he?s almost 6?5? with a 6?8? wingspan and has the same standing reach as a guy a couple inches shorter than him with shorter arms.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Watching Keon Johnson is like watching someone with springs in his shoes. His vert is real. So is his defensive prowess. I have no problem developing him into a Tony Allen type player. Pelifan mentioned McMbride too and his defense is really fun to watch as well. This is one of the deepest defensive drafts I can remember

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    That?s standard for max vet though. The real issue is he likely cheated his standing reach measurements which they just subtract from where you reach to calculate vertical. Like he?s almost 6?5? with a 6?8? wingspan and has the same standing reach as a guy a couple inches shorter than him with shorter arms.
    That’s what I’m talking about. His shoulders would need to be like Dwight Howard or just very boxy for his wingspan to be so long and his standing reach is so low. Dude has some bunnies regardless.

Hall of Famer
    Pretty much in on moses moody if they keep the pick

move up to get him if needed

Point/combo guard measurements.

Jared Butler - 8.25 hand width, 6'3.75" height w/shoes, 6'4.00" wingspan, 193 lbs, no vert

Davion Mitchell - 8.75 hand width, 6'1.25" height w/shoes, 6'4.25 wingspan, 202 lbs, no vert

Miles McBride - 9.50 hand width, 6'2.50" height w/shoes, 6'8.75" wingspan, 195 lbs, 38.5 max vert

Tre Mann - 9.00 hand width, 6'3.25" height w/shoes, 6'4.00" wingspan, 178 lbs, no vert

Max Abmas - 7.75 hand width, 5'11.75" height w/shoes, 6'1.75" wingspan, 162 lbs, 32.5 max vert

For context:

Chris Paul - no hand width recorded, 6'1.00" height w/shoes, 6'4.25" wingspan, 178 lbs, 38.5 max vert
    Last edited by luckyman; 06-25-2021 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    Pretty much in on moses moody if they keep the pick

move up to get him if needed
    I still think he could end up going higher than expected.

This article from nola.com said Corey Kispert thinks he is 'tailor-made' for the Pels.

https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans...9678bcb2f.html

With that vertical and shuttle time he might have the athleticism needed to be good enough defensively like many people thought he wouldn’t be. If that’s the case he’s a perfect fit.

He’s gonna be a fine player. For someone.

Thread Information