Pelicans Report

Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 NBA Draft Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    I think he's going late teens/early 20s.

But I really wouldn't mind moving our lotto pick, bledsoe and some 2nds for Houstons two firsts if we could pick up Duarte and Butler at those spots.
    I wouldnt mind giving up 3 pennies and a nickle for two dollars either!
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Lmao yeah....

?

Did you assume I meant their lotto pick? I clearly meant the ones they own in the 20s.

8, Bledsoe's dead weight, 2nds for two picks in the 20s.

Pretty fair price for a trade down.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    ?

Did you assume I meant their lotto pick? I clearly meant the ones they own in the 20s.

8, Bledsoe's dead weight, 2nds for two picks in the 20s.

Pretty fair price for a trade down.
    I think he misunderstood. I think our first, a couple seconds, and Bledsoe for their 2 20’s picks shouldn’t be too far off. I think the rockets would want to consolidate and move up anyway. Pundits keep saying teams don’t want a lot of rookies so this move makes sense. I think they would like 1 and then 4 from us (I’m trying to will it into happening though I wouldn’t trade it if we got in top 4)

Or if they keep a 1st round pick and Mitchell and Moody are gone if they stay at 10--- trade down and target Chris Duarte or Ayo Dosunmu. Use any extra picks gained to help offload Bledsoe ASAP.
    Last edited by luckyman; 05-26-2021 at 08:42 AM.

The type of pick nobody will like, but I could see Griff considering:

#10 and Bledsoe for 19, 21, and Dallas 2023 pick

Then, he trades 19 for a future first and 21 for a future first - like he did last year with the RJ Hampton pick.

Basically, he trades 10 for three future 1sts, all likely to be in the late teens or 20s, but they are assets to put in a future deal. Also, get off Bledsoe and add a TPE.

Go into the offseason with the ability to make uneven trades and with a ton of picks. Can use a bunch on one guy or 1-2 on multiple guys. Nobody would be a fan of it on draft night, but Griff would use those picks in the next week or two to acquire young vets. Or, use the cap space to go after a Norman Powell or Duncan Robinson and then use the picks at the deadline to go get a few guys.

Likely? No, nothing is likely. But its the type of possibility that people should prepare for if Griff has 10 on the auction block and doesnt really like the players being offered for it. I think thats far more likely than him just taking a guy at 10 to keep

Then, he trades 19 for a future first and 21 for a future first - like he did last year with the RJ Hampton pick.

Basically, he trades 10 for three future 1sts, all likely to be in the late teens or 20s, but they are assets to put in a future deal. Also, get off Bledsoe and add a TPE.

Go into the offseason with the ability to make uneven trades and with a ton of picks. Can use a bunch on one guy or 1-2 on multiple guys. Nobody would be a fan of it on draft night, but Griff would use those picks in the next week or two to acquire young vets. Or, use the cap space to go after a Norman Powell or Duncan Robinson and then use the picks at the deadline to go get a few guys.

Likely? No, nothing is likely. But its the type of possibility that people should prepare for if Griff has 10 on the auction block and doesnt really like the players being offered for it. I think thats far more likely than him just taking a guy at 10 to keep
    Is it true that Griff would have traded Haliburton to Dallas last year?

Doesn't sound too bad if he has a veteran in mind and would prefer multiple picks to deal with rather than just the #10.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Doesn't sound too bad if he has a veteran in mind and would prefer multiple picks to deal with rather than just the #10.
    I think he might do that, even if nothing was a lock yet, just to have optionality. I think Griff's rankings would go:

1. Offload Bledsoe + picks for a guy he LOVES
    2. Offload Bledsoe + a pick for a guy he likes
    3. Send 10 for a grab bag of current and future picks to later attach to Bledsoe (or attach Bledsoe in that deal)
    4. Draft a guy at #10 he knows many teams around the league likes
    5. Draft a guy at 10 he likes, to keep

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    It only takes one team, but I think with the way the draft falls off a cliff after the first four guys the Pelicans options are pretty limited. I was completely against it last year, but I wouldn't mind kicking the can down the road in a scenario like McNamara described above. You may find a team that likes a guy, but it should be difficult to fall in love with someone at that draft slot. At least love to a point that you're willing to give up something of real value for.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    It only takes one team, but I think with the way the draft falls off a cliff after the first four guys the Pelicans options are pretty limited. I was completely against it last year, but I wouldn't mind kicking the can down the road in a scenario like McNamara described above. You may find a team that likes a guy, but it should be difficult to fall in love with someone at that draft slot. At least love to a point that you're willing to give up something of real value for.
    I think the "falls off a cliff" thing is a bit dramatic. First of all, I dont think any of the top 4 guys are cornerstones. I would take Ja over all of them. Trae too - and I think those are two flawed guys when you are talking about top guy on top team level.

I think 5-12 is a tier, and then I think there is a fall off. And I think different teams will love different guys in that 5-12 tier. For instance, I have been told Toronto has already soft promised Sengun if they dont jump into the top 4. There might be a team later in the draft who feels that way about Giddey or Mitchell. Where we have to get lucky is hoping teams 5-9 love their own guy and dont want to trade their pick

Teams 5 to 9 are all in a rebuilding phase, except Sactown perhaps. I think it's unlikely any of them trade out.

Actually, GSW could trade out

I haven't looked at any Seton Hall games yet, but Sandro Mamukelashvili looks intriguing as a UDFA prospect to me.

Won't be shocked is he does end up getting drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I haven't looked at any Seton Hall games yet, but Sandro Mamukelashvili looks intriguing as a UDFA prospect to me.

Won't be shocked is he does end up getting drafted.
    He's very fun. Late second round or UDFA, like you say, but some intriguing flashes and (most importantly) a very cool name.
    Basketball.

I think he might do that, even if nothing was a lock yet, just to have optionality. I think Griff's rankings would go:

1. Offload Bledsoe + picks for a guy he LOVES
    2. Offload Bledsoe + a pick for a guy he likes
    3. Send 10 for a grab bag of current and future picks to later attach to Bledsoe (or attach Bledsoe in that deal)
    4. Draft a guy at #10 he knows many teams around the league likes
    5. Draft a guy at 10 he likes, to keep
    How likely do you think Griff would be to use the pick, if we land in the top 4? Do you still think he would try to trade it for a veteran?

I'm cool trading 10 or 11 for a vet, but if we landed top 4 and traded out for anything other than a legit star #2 type player, I would be really disappointed.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    I'm cool trading 10 or 11 for a vet, but if we landed top 4 and traded out for anything other than a legit star #2 type player, I would be really disappointed.
    I share this opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    How likely do you think Griff would be to use the pick, if we land in the top 4? Do you still think he would try to trade it for a veteran?

If it?s top 4 I almost think he would have to use it unless someone gives us a really good player, I?m being vague I know.

If It was Suggs or Kaminga at 4 maybe he?d be more likely, but if somehow it was Mobley or Green you almost have to draft them unless you?re getting an all star in return IMO
    Last edited by HornetGuru; 05-27-2021 at 08:57 PM.

Mobley or Green would be amazing, but you still dangle the carrot and see who bites

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Mobley or Green would be amazing, but you still dangle the carrot and see who bites
    Absolutely, you always listen

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Absolutely, you always listen
    I'd have to go for any one of the top three or four.

But I was just checking moses moody again and realized I've overthought the dude. Unlike almost everyone else, his length for his position and his shooting form scream NBA shooting guard for years to come. straight up, he will always be getting that shot off AND he is a good shooter already

he could be plugged in from the get-go imo

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    I'd have to go for any one of the top three or four.

But I was just checking moses moody again and realized I've overthought the dude. Unlike almost everyone else, his length for his position and his shooting form scream NBA shooting guard for years to come. straight up, he will always be getting that shot off AND he is a good shooter already

he could be plugged in from the get-go imo
    Agreed, Moody is a plug and play from day 1 and will be good at his job.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I really feel like Moody could be the first off the board after the top quartet dudes go.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I really feel like Moody could be the first off the board after the top quartet dudes go.
    I dont see it. Teams will almost always go upside over floor that high in the draft. Unless its a team like GS picking that high, who is ready to try to win big immediately, the teams that high arent drafting for need or find a rotation piece. They need guys who have even a small chance of being a high end cornerstone piece. Guys like Barnes or Keon Johnson, etc will almost always go before a guy like Moody

The issue with drafting a high floor but lower ceiling guy high is the second contract. Take someone like Deandre Hunter. Playing really well for Atlanta right now..solid piece. But when he comes up for an extension, what do you think a young wing, former #4 pick will ask for?

Now, all of a sudden, you are going to have to vastly overplay a solid role player to keep him. Can probably get similar production from a vet for the MLE but you will have to pay 20-25 mil for Hunter, who has little to no chance at being much more than a very good role player. I call it the 'Otto Porter problem'

And if I had to make an argument for someone like Kispert, that would be it. In no world is he gonna demand a 100 million dollar 2nd contract. He will be 26 or 27 and nobody will see some unrealized upside in him. So, he could be the same level of player as say a Jalen Johnson in his 2nd contract but Johnson got 4/100 because he showed some flashes and was 23 when the 2nd contract was signed. While Kispert gets 3/35 and outperforms his 2nd deal like Doug McDermott did his.

Otto Porter gave more value in his first contract, but was a burden in his 2nd while McDermott outperformed his 2nd

Thread Information