Pelicans Report

Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 NBA Draft Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    Am I wrong in thinking that Cory Kispert would be the safest pick in regards to helping our team win this year? After 4 years at gonzaga, he undoubtedly grasps what is needed to play solid team defense; plus, he brings a skill that happens to be our biggest need in his shooting, both 3pt and FT

id have a hard time passing up a guy that would almost certainly contribute the first tear
    Kispert is reach at 8th-10th to be honest

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Kispert is reach at 8th-10th to be honest
    Yeah I agree.

I like Kispert a lot, and earlier in the year I had him at probably somewhere in the 11-13 range, and even that might have been a touch generous. He wouldn't be a terrible pick, I do think he would be a fine player but I think there are better upside plays than him who are probably still there at that spot. I think of him more as being like a 13-16 guy now, for the most part.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Yeah I agree.

I like Kispert a lot, and earlier in the year I had him at probably somewhere in the 11-13 range, and even that might have been a touch generous. He wouldn't be a terrible pick, I do think he would be a fine player but I think there are better upside plays than him who are probably still there at that spot. I think of him more as being like a 13-16 guy now, for the most part.
    I like this draft so much... I'd have no problem double dipping.

If you do... Hart and Ball probably got to go. You possibly have to move Lewis or NAW to facilitate it. Move Bledsoe. Sign Powell and (ugh... If you can't trade for a better option) a solid vet PG on the cheap. I can see keeping Hart to balance out the youth move.

And to clarify... I don't want Dinwiddie or Lowry at his age. I just want a stopgap solution that's better than what we have. Maybe we'll get lucky if Minn wins the Lottery and looking to move Russell(Not a fan either)

I swear... It feels like the only way to fix the PG position is to win the lottery this year or bet on Lonzo.. Or just get a transition player like Lowry.

This offseason feels like its going to be tough.

I just hope if get into the top 4. We go BPA and draft Mobley instead of reaching on a guard if Green or Cade are gone.

Of everyone in the draft I personally would want Evan Mobley. What would it take to get to the 2nd or 3rd pick. Would two future 1st and 2 second rounders do it? W our pick this year

Of everyone in the draft I personally would want Evan Mobley. What would it take to get to the 2nd or 3rd pick. Would two future 1st and 2 second rounders do it? W our pick this year
    I think if you pay multiple firsts and multiple seconds (3 FRPs by your estimation here) to move up to the second best spot in a draft, you're being a bit uh

Generous with your assets.

If a guy is truly believed to be in the top tier, you cant get there. Not from another team. Maybe if you have 3 or 4 and the team at 2 likes someone as much or doesnt need a big, you can make a swap. But you cant get from 8 or 9 into the top tier - doesnt matter how many picks you give up. This isnt the NFL draft
    @mcnamara247

I think if you pay multiple firsts and multiple seconds (3 FRPs by your estimation here) to move up to the second best spot in a draft, you're being a bit uh

Generous with your assets.
    I dont agree. In retrospect, how much should the Bulls have paid to go from 7, and Coby White, to #2 and Ja? I would give up way more than that. I mean, they basically gave up 3 firsts for Vucevic (Carter and 2 firsts)... you wouldnt give up White and Vucevic for Ja?

If you have a guy in the top tier, there is no amount that is too much. And it doesnt matter any way because that team wouldnt do it. I wont put Mobley on a Duncan level, but I think he is a clear elite prospect, similar to a Ja or a KAT - where, no they arent sure fire like Duncan, AD, etc but it would be shocking if they werent a cornerstone. NBA history says you cant trade into that from a lower tier

I'm in the Chris Duarte fan club. Only real knock on him is he might be the oldest player in this draft. Which is just fine for this franchise. We see how well Naji turned out as an older rookie.

He checks almost every box as far as team needs. Another of these 6'5"+ switchable wings with a high defensive basketball IQ. Also not as much of a playmaker, but fully capable of layup assists.

Would be a nice late 1st/2nd round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I'm in the Chris Duarte fan club. Only real knock on him is he might be the oldest player in this draft. Which is just fine for this franchise. We see how well Naji turned out as an older rookie.

He checks almost every box as far as team needs. Another of these 6'5"+ switchable wings with a high defensive basketball IQ. Also not as much of a playmaker, but fully capable of layup assists.

Would be a nice late 1st/2nd round pick.
    Seconded.

If we keep one/any of our 2nd rounders, Duarte would be a solid pickup.

Moody and Mitchell are my two favorite prospects for the Pelicans, assuming we are picking between 8-10 range.

Griff said he wants shooting, toughness and BBIQ and that sums up Davion Mitchell. He is an older rookie, so he would be ready to contribute from day one. Provides exactly what we need. Moody is the best 3&D prospect in the draft to me. 6'6 - 2/3 guard with a 7'0 wingspan. Constant off-ball movement to stress the defense would work perfectly with Zion. He is a good shooter with the potential to be a great shooter. He doesn't shy away from big shots, which I like. He is the higher ceiling guy of the two, as he turns 19 right before the draft.

I'd be happy as hell to get either one. I like Garuba as well, but not as much in the 8-10 range.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Moody and Mitchell are my two favorite prospects for the Pelicans, assuming we are picking between 8-10 range.

Griff said he wants shooting, toughness and BBIQ and that sums up Davion Mitchell. He is an older rookie, so he would be ready to contribute from day one. Provides exactly what we need. Moody is the best 3&D prospect in the draft to me. 6'6 - 2/3 guard with a 7'0 wingspan. Constant off-ball movement to stress the defense would work perfectly with Zion. He is a good shooter with the potential to be a great shooter. He doesn't shy away from big shots, which I like. He is the higher ceiling guy of the two, as he turns 19 right before the draft.

I'd be happy as hell to get either one. I like Garuba as well, but not as much in the 8-10 range.
    My top 2 as well. Assuming Mr. upside Keon Johnson is off the board.

I've spent hours this past week watching tape on Jalen Green and Cade Cunningham. And I honestly do not understand how Cade is the clear cut number 1 pick. Green is so much better. Green will be a star. Like top 3 in the NBA star. His movements are like Jordan. That kid is truly special. If Pelicans are blessed with the number 1 pick again. I would take Green and wouldn't think twice about it.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    I've spent hours this past week watching tape on Jalen Green and Cade Cunningham. And I honestly do not understand how Cade is the clear cut number 1 pick. Green is so much better. Green will be a star. Like top 3 in the NBA star. His movements are like Jordan. That kid is truly special. If Pelicans are blessed with the number 1 pick again. I would take Green and wouldn't think twice about it.
    Cade, Green and Mobley all offer tremendous things. You can make a case for #1 for all of them. Suggs is my definite #4.

I really want Keon Johnson. Guy is a stud

I quite like Bouknight's game too

This draft class seems stacked as ********

Can't believe Chicago gave up their 1st for Vooch. Orlando in a great position
    Last edited by AusPel; 05-24-2021 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Cade, Green and Mobley all offer tremendous things. You can make a case for #1 for all of them. Suggs is my definite #4.

I really want Keon Johnson. Guy is a stud

I quite like Bouknight's game too

This draft class seems stacked as ********

Can't believe Chicago gave up their 1st for Vooch. Orlando in a great position
    Agree with all of this

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Green is my favorite prospect of the last couple of years, but I will say that Cade has a better fit. I low key hope we the #2 or 3rd pick, because I really want Green or Mobley and that's the only way we get them. if we win the lottery, I'd have to pick Cade because he solves a way bigger need than Green and there are more SG options than PG options. Especially, if we move on from Lonzo.
    Last edited by Taker597; 05-24-2021 at 09:31 AM.

You never ever draft for current need. What if you trade Ingram in a few years and now you need a dynamic perimeter scorer. Always take the guy you think will be the best player in their prime. Never, ever draft for current need at the top of the draft

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    You never ever draft for current need. What if you trade Ingram in a few years and now you need a dynamic perimeter scorer. Always take the guy you think will be the best player in their prime. Never, ever draft for current need at the top of the draft
    What's your parameters for "top of the draft"

Lottery? Or until guys get to be homogenised

This

Yeah I agree.

I’ve just seen so many college shooters struggle in the NBA. At the very least most of them take a while to acclimate to the pro defense.

And I’ve seen a lot of guys who weren’t the best shooters in college, develop a good outside shot in the pros. Shooting is really one of the things that can develop a lot through time and practice.

I’d sooner get a guy who you know can play defense on the wing, because we got enough offensive wing players who struggle defensively.

The fact that he struggled against the length and athleticism of Baylor is also a big red flag for me.
    Last edited by Freyfamilyreuni; 05-24-2021 at 11:21 AM.

Just because I personally like a prospect more =/= He's a better prospect.

And you do draft for need to some extent. It's a balancing act of grading prospects, evaluating needs, draft placement and roster construction. You're always drafting for need until you have an answer for it. This myth of only BPA is kind of annoying. Like you got to have a vision and fit.

A lot of people try to misinterprete a team "reaching" on a prospect as filling a need like we have any idea what's their big board. For all we know... Their reach is their BPA.

It isn't like we split hairs between drafting Embiid, Parker, and Wiggins. Which I didn't care for Wiggins or Parker.

I really really love the top 3 in this draft and I feel super confident in all of them. I just have it ranked

Cade
    Green
    Mobley

I get as Sport MEDIA guy... It's all about being honory and making confident takes. I really don't have that take with these guy in this class. I can be pretty happy with any of the three, but I see the hierarchy in which they can go.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Just because I personally like a prospect more =/= He's a better prospect.

And you do draft for need to some extent. It's a balancing act of grading prospects, evaluating needs, draft placement and roster construction. You're always drafting for need until you have an answer for it. This myth of only BPA is kind of annoying. Like you got to have a vision and fit.

A lot of people try to misinterprete a team "reaching" on a prospect as filling a need like we have any idea what's their big board. For all we know... Their reach is their BPA.
    I think you draft for need if you're already a good team trying to pick up guys to fit niches and stuff like that. Where you know who your main guys are, you're secure in them being long-term pieces, and you're just looking to fill out the surrounding guys. Those guys, generally speaking, are not lottery teams.

When you're in the lottery, I think you just pick the guy you think will be the best player. If that means drafting, say, a PG two years in a row then who cares; you need talent and if that means you have to move one of them later on, that's not the end of the world. What's much worse is missing on a player you thought you would be great for a player who is clearly inferior but fits a better need on paper.

No player fits the needs of a bad team more than the best player. Because a bad team just needs talent.

I think you draft for need if you're already a good team trying to pick up guys to fit niches and stuff like that. Where you know who your main guys are, you're secure in them being long-term pieces, and you're just looking to fill out the surrounding guys. Those guys, generally speaking, are not lottery teams.

When you're in the lottery, I think you just pick the guy you think will be the best player. If that means drafting, say, a PG two years in a row then who cares; you need talent and if that means you have to move one of them later on, that's not the end of the world. What's much worse is missing on a player you thought you would be great for a player who is clearly inferior but fits a better need on paper.

No player fits the needs of a bad team more than the best player. Because a bad team just needs talent.
    That?s the logic you draft for everything is a need until you have the answer, because you have no answer. Everything is just a need at that point. But we aren't terrible. We just aren't any good. We have some answers. We just to got draft around them and this how you get into the balancing act of need, BPA, and roster construction.
    Last edited by Taker597; 05-24-2021 at 11:48 AM.

If they can leave this draft with any 1 or 2 man combination of Johnson/Moody/Mitchell/Duarte/Todd I'd be ecstatic with that. They all balance need and BPA if they go where I think they will.

Seconded.

If we keep one/any of our 2nd rounders, Duarte would be a solid pickup.

I think he's going late teens/early 20s.

But I really wouldn't mind moving our lotto pick, bledsoe and some 2nds for Houstons two firsts if we could pick up Duarte and Butler at those spots.

Yal are certainly high on keon johnson, why?

given he is a special athlete, but doesn't he still have to learn how to play. I havn't looked into him that hard cause I didn't think we would pick someone who may or may not ever learn how to ball

11 pts
    3.5 rebounds
    2.5 assist
    2.6 tov
    27% on threes

is rather underwhelming. Jared Butler would probably help our team more in the near future, To me Butler's floor is Etwann Moore

Thread Information