Pelicans Report

Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 NBA Draft Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    Jaden Springer is my guy. Overlooked big time. He's probably going to be the youngest or ones of the youngest in the class.
    I like him! I've seen him mocked to go pretty low which surprises me, I think he's a top ten prospect. Tankathon has him 18th which seems insane to me.

A big, physically powerful point guard who is a solid defender, can shoot a little, is reliable at the line, has solid enough vision? That's good stuff.

I'm not going to do a player comparison for him because I don't think that's useful but I will say that I think he could benefit from watching a lot of Jrue Holiday tape. Take from that what you will.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    On the J Giddey train, doing some investigations. NBL hasn't been a big thing for me this year but I'm very intrigued
    Have watched a quite a few Adelaide games this year and for all the strengths Giddy possesses he does have some pretty glaring weaknesses.

On the positive side he has amazing vision, does a fantastic job seeing plays develop. Great at probing defences especially when he enters the 3pt line and in the paint. Does a great job at making the right pass at the right time and gets the ball to his bigs in dangerous spots. There is no doubt in my mind that he is a true PG. He would average close to 10 assists per game if his teammates could finish around the rim, if he had NBA level finishers this would definitely be the case. When he is assertive in driving he is capable of finishing around the rim but at the moment he plays quite passive. He also has a knack for throwing Lonzoesque full court passes. For the most part though he plays within himself. The most impressive thing for me though is that he is averaging 31mpg in a league which isn't kind to kids. That in itself goes to show you the kind of faith and expectation that the coaching staff have in him. In his last 4 games he has been flirting with tripple doubles usually only missing out by a couple of dimes, he has really kicked it up a notch lately with his overall play though.

On the other hand he doesn't have NBA level athleticism or speed, but is shifty enough with the ball to get around that. He ain't no Luka but has tricks up his sleeve to get around defenders. Is prone to falling out of games and sometimes just looks like he going through the motions. He can also be unselfish to a fault and sometimes defers to much to teammates. His biggest issue I would say is his shooting, his mechanics aren't great and just doesn't look anywhere near a competent shooter although this could easily be fixed. I think he knows this as well as he will pass up wide open 3's but in some games he has been able to knock in a couple of long shots so could also be a confidence thing.

I think he came out recently saying his game is most like Ben Simmons which I would say isn't far off the mark. He is nowhere near the athlete or defender that Ben is but he has a lot of those intangible PG skills that you can't really teach. Either way I'm excited to see how he goes when he comes into the league. Would be shocked if he went any later than 20 this draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh_ View Post
    Have watched a quite a few Adelaide games this year and for all the strengths Giddy possesses he does have some pretty glaring weaknesses.

On the positive side he has amazing vision, does a fantastic job seeing plays develop. Great at probing defences especially when he enters the 3pt line and in the paint. Does a great job at making the right pass at the right time and gets the ball to his bigs in dangerous spots. There is no doubt in my mind that he is a true PG. He would average close to 10 assists per game if his teammates could finish around the rim, if he had NBA level finishers this would definitely be the case. When he is assertive in driving he is capable of finishing around the rim but at the moment he plays quite passive. He also has a knack for throwing Lonzoesque full court passes. For the most part though he plays within himself. The most impressive thing for me though is that he is averaging 31mpg in a league which isn't kind to kids. That in itself goes to show you the kind of faith and expectation that the coaching staff have in him. In his last 4 games he has been flirting with tripple doubles usually only missing out by a couple of dimes, he has really kicked it up a notch lately with his overall play though.

On the other hand he doesn't have NBA level athleticism or speed, but is shifty enough with the ball to get around that. He ain't no Luka but has tricks up his sleeve to get around defenders. Is prone to falling out of games and sometimes just looks like he going through the motions. He can also be unselfish to a fault and sometimes defers to much to teammates. His biggest issue I would say is his shooting, his mechanics aren't great and just doesn't look anywhere near a competent shooter although this could easily be fixed. I think he knows this as well as he will pass up wide open 3's but in some games he has been able to knock in a couple of long shots so could also be a confidence thing.

I think he came out recently saying his game is most like Ben Simmons which I would say isn't far off the mark. He is nowhere near the athlete or defender that Ben is but he has a lot of those intangible PG skills that you can't really teach. Either way I'm excited to see how he goes when he comes into the league. Would be shocked if he went any later than 20 this draft.
    This is a lot of what I'm seeing as well.

Not to make the too-easy comparison due to NBL experience, but he reminds me a lot of LaMelo (though at a lower level). LaMelo was also horrifically inefficient in the NBL, and a pretty awful finisher at the rim as well as that, but was a superlative passer with creativity who showed signs of awareness and anticipation on defense even if the actual end product was terrible.

Giddey isn't quite the passer that LaMelo is, and he's better defensively (though still not elite or anything), but there are some analogues that I see between the two.

I see signs of improvement with Giddey's shooting though, from the handful of games I've watched recently along with the stats. He's 19/46 from 3 over his last 10 games, which is 41.3% on 4.6 attempts a game, and while I agree that the mechanics aren't quite there and he's probably not that level of shooter long term (at least not without a bit of work) there are enough signs for me to be intrigued.

Definitely questioning aspects of him here and there but at some point you see a 6'8 PG who can handle the ball, effectively run the PnR, has special anticipation on passing, and shows signs of shooting being buried somewhere in there, and he's still 18? You have to take the gamble on that imo.

Just thought this might be useful for some people who haven't been able to catch some games, or who have only caught one or two games from key guys. This is taken from the March 16th episode of the Prep2Pro podcast, where they run down all of the ''prospects'' from teams that made the NCAA tournament. I am not transcribing everything they said for every player, just the main ones that people may find useful. They're focusing on things to watch during the tournament which is obviously over now but it gives some insights into their skills and evaluations as of Mid-March

The link for this episode of the podcast can be found here: https://open.spotify.com/episode/2sw...RUK64RLsdMGZbQ

Franz Wagner (Michigan)
    Jake: The elevator pitch is a two way impact wing, who is incredibly lengthy and functional - we talked about him in defensive ground coverage - a very smart and skilled player. I'm looking for Franz to be more aggressive on the ball, getting downhill, taking pullup jumpers, but Franz is one of my good two-way guys in the class.

Kai Jones (Texas)
    Jake: I'm really excited to see how people who haven't been watching Texas react to Kai Jones, because the flashes are absolutely nutty, just incredibly co-ordinated at 6'11, very fluid shooting mechanics. Doesn't have a huge role in minutes and offensive load with Texas but he's certainly someone who will pop off the screen for you when you watch because of his physical tools and the fluidity with which he moves, handles, shoots, slides on the perimeter.
    Max: Fluidity and co-ordination are definitely the things there, he's not going to play a lot of minutes but he will grab a board and go coast to coast and people are amazed he's 6'11.

Greg Brown (Texas)
    Max: Another guy who is really physically talented, one of the best vertical leapers in all of college basketball, great length. A restricted role as a play finisher much like Kai Jones. He has issues as a decision maker and with his shot but defensively, on and off the ball, he makes quite an impact at the college level. He's capable of moving with guys despite slightly janky movement but his length is overwhelming and his recognition is good.

Scottie Barnes (FSU)
    Jake: I think Scottie has the potential to be a March Madness darling, he's an awesome human being. On the court, we're talking about 6'8, may or may not be overextended as a primary handler right now, but he has wizardly passing reads, real manipulation, he's sliding with 1s; if you're looking for versatility on both ends he will give it to you. Plays extremely hard, the shot has steadily improved as the season's gone on, so Scottie Barnes has definitely picked up as late.
    Max: Yeah, FSU, is unique in what it asks offensively and defensive from these guys. Will probably be a tough watch from an analysis standpoint because of the quantity of the switching and the weirdness of Barnes' defensive role, but he's a forward with interesting physical tools and creation ability who makes a real defensive impact.

James Bouknight (UCon)
    Jake: You're looking at offensive firepower. Off guard, 6'5, pretty big time athlete with real hangtime at the rim to avoid help defenders. Creativity around the rim. 3pt shooting has fallen off a little bit but I'm certainly interested to see what he does. I'm looking for on-ball reps and opportunities to make decisions, I'm hoping that he can take that little leap but even if we don't see it he's a very fun athlete and a bigtime scorer.
    Max: Yeah, with Bouknight if you're expecting him to be a major on ball advantage creator or on-ball hub you'll be disappointed but watch for what he's doing off the ball, how he opens himself with timing as a cutter, because he really does function more off-ball than people may anticipate from big time college scoring guards, and that's probably more analogous to his end NBA role.
    Jake: He's a good refresher for that college scorer archetype because he sets up, cuts with footwork and a change of pace, definitely worth tuning into.

Cam Thomas (LSU)
    Jake: As pure of a bucket getter as they come, everywhere he's been he puts the ball in the bucket. The shots are tough, they're very contested, but the space creation is real and that's the trait that's most bankable for his NBA projection. The difficulty of shots he takes on a daily basis is pretty wild when you consider the percentages - he's not 40% from deep or anything but he maintains a reasonable efficiency.
    Max: Yeah watch for the shot quality and the decision making windows, to think about him beyond the scoring totals.
    Jake: He's someone where the A button is largely broken but he's fun to watch.

Jalen Suggs (Gonzaga)
    Max: Suggs figures to be a high lottery pick, I think he's a guy that if you're expecting a traditional lead guard or a modern lead guard who drives half-court team offense, that's not what you get from Suggs. He's a guy that is a bigtime transition handler who can create a little in the half-court by virtue of shooting and his ability to make reads but he doesn't have the handle to create on-ball advantages.
    Jake: I want to highlight the team context, it's a democratic offense which is the closest thing you get to an NBA offense in college, so while I think Suggs is limited by his handle it's noteworthy to acknowledge he isn't asked to do that and he is able to showcase off-ball offense with relocation and cutting and those things.

Corey Kispert (Gonzaga)
    Max: He is the shooter in college, highly versatile with incredible range and good mechanics. The thing to watch is that he has significant other skills. He has grown into a good finisher, he is quicker laterally, he can execute some solid passing reads, and defensively he's intelligent with good size and strength. The shooting is easy to see but watch for the other skills because that's where he differentiates himself as a high end shooter.
    Jake: I always find myself rewinding when he finishes and saying how did he get the step there, an he just finds a way. One of the most efficient players in college basketball regardless of context, the perfect roleplayer.

Luka Garza (Iowa)
    Max: He's a dominant college player so he'll draw the attention.
    Jake: The appeal of Garza is that his shooting is impressive, I think he's a good big man shooter, his mechanics aren't the most fluid but it's a high release, he can hit it in the mid-range and he's a lethal pick and pop threat. That's the most translatable skill. The defensive is the detriment, with heavy feet, slow lateral quickness, you can see him running up and down how much it exhausts him to get end to end. A ton of fun to watch from a college standpoint, it may not all translate but the shooting is what works the most.
    Max: What differentiates him is that he is a real shooting threat, he can come of a screen - not very fast but he can do it - but he's the big time prospect there.

Joe Wieskamp (Iowa)
    Max: He really knows how to play off the ball, he sets up his movement well - he has to clean up some footwork - but he knows how to move off ball and is an accomplished shooter.

Evan Mobley (USC)
    Max: Basic idea is - incredibly intelligent individual with unbelievable recognition and processing speed on both ends to go with unique physical tools and outstanding lateral movement and functional length. His technique is excellent when it comes to footwork, he has the discipline to wait to go for blocks, and meanwhile he has the coordination to cover space, his leaping is quick, and y'know, it all centres around this combination of high level feel and intellect to go with the tools. You won't miss Mobley, it's all quite obvious with him when you're watching.

Bones Hyland (VCU)
    Max: A bomber from 3pt land who is also a very intelligent team defender as a small and skinny guard. THis year he's had more success getting to the rim, has some actual burst but the finishing has been a struggle. Three point bombing and team defense.
    Jake: Bones, we talk about irrational attempts, it is only right to group Bones in that, it's off the dribble with some wizardry in the handle and footwork, shoots a very soft ball with a ton of versatility. A fun watch.

Jared Butler (Baylor)
    Jake: Butler used to be a scoring guard with a crazy handle. He has now added defensive prowess and playmaking to his repertoire. Yes he's limited as an athlete but we're looking at a lead guard prospect with some shot-making.

Davion Mitchell (Baylor)
    Max: Much more of a track record as a defender, really impactful at the point of attack with quick lateral movement. Exceptional change of direction and has made big strides as a shooter. Something to watch with him is the decision making, if you're thinking of him really high. To get ahead of it, he is not related to Donovan Mitchell.
    Jake: There's a small part of me that believes they are because it all just looks too similar. He's upped his stock this year and a lot of that comes from the 3pt shooting jump, the pullup is working, there's legit space creation - those are the selling points.

Moses Moody (Arkansas)
    Max: Selling point would be that Moody is, uh, it's hard to pick out a greatest skill because he's so well rounded. Really good shooter with some tough shot making ability. Intelligent with great footwork attacking off the catch with rip-throughs and counters off that. Intelligent team defender with high level recognition, very active with great functional length and good movement to go with great size. Does a lot of everything with that tough shotmaking some connective playmaking ability. Just the sort of wing prospect who does a lot at an NBA level.
    Jake: I will re-emphasise the shooting versatility combined with his feel, he operates a lot off the ball and consistently puts himself in advantageous positions and his one motion release gives him a ton of versatility. Can get to his shot from anywhere, off any action.

Jeremiah Robinson Earle (Villanova)
    Max: Really good shooter for a guy that size who is a good lateral mover. A strong offensive connection piece who gets the ball movement and brings a lot of movement skills on the defensive end.

Tre Mann (Florida)
    Max: He's taken a massive leap in his sophomore season and has evolved into a well rounded guard player. Central to his game is the change of direction and the craft as a shooter and finisher. He gets into the pullups out of so many different combinations it's pretty intimidating and then as a finisher he has the scoops and the ambidexterity. On top of that he has a fairly unique smoothness, reminiscent of Kira Lewis in a way, really seamless and can do it with both hands. He's grown into a larger role with Florida. He fulfills responsibilities as a team defender though he's not the most physical or involved. A serious guard prospect.

Day'Ron Sharpe (UNC)
    Max: Really intelligent big man, an intelligent high impact defender but not a major offensive self-creator.
    Jake: Not really much to add. I love to watch him because he's so smart and he makes smart plays but there's not that much to add.

Ayo Dosunmu (Illinois)
    Max: Maybe the only one relevant this year, really shifty guard who is pretty explosive from a burst standpoint. Really good college player.
    Jake: Personally I think the projection to the next level is a bit wonky. One of the best players in college all year, so props to Ayo but I think he's more of a college player.
    Max: I like to watch with the pullup, because that seems to be very variable - when the footwork looks good it looks good but when it's not there are huge issues. A guy to enjoy with his unique handling moments, he's a guy to watch.

Deuce McBride (West Virginia)
    Max: Uniquely impactful guard defender, unbelievable instincts and sees rotations multiple seconds before anyone else. Great point of attack defender, physical, awesome laterally. Such a uniquely great feel for transition defense, the effort, the fact that he can elevate to make plays on the ball. Offensively, excellent pull up shooter and genuinely excellent shot maker. He struggles to get to the rim, he's limited as a handler, he's not that bursty. He's a good finisher when he gets at the rim but he just struggles getting there. The passing reads are not there for a lead guard. More of what you should be looking for are the defensive instincts.
    Jake: Hit the nail on the head with him.

Cade Cunningham (OSU)
    Max: I feel like people know the deal with Cade by now.
    Jake: Cade is a 6'8 point guard who is incredibly strong, wizardry as a passer, good handler, great touch at the rim, appears to now be a plus plus shooter with fantastic touch -
    Max: Yeah the shooting is what you should look for. His comparables as a shooter historically are kind of ridiculous at this point, and he can get into shots off complex moves. Pretty ridiculous for a guy who, one of the knocks on him in the past, has been his shooting. That he's evolved into this so quickly...
    Jake: Considering the guy we have now is the guy we saw in the U19 championships is a pure testament to his work ethic and commitment.
    Max: Look to the diversity of his advantage creation, his ability to win in diverse ways is incredible - he'll beat you pulling up, or with dribble moves, or footwork, or strength, or change of pace, and even occasionally with some explosion though that's not quite as consistent. Truly diverse advantage creator and that's the mark of a high level on-ball creator, so that's something to watch with Cade. As well as, I think it can be a good opportunity to see his passing because his raw assist numbers understate that. He's making high level reads with high level execution on the move, high velocity, live dribble, and the manipulation is there. Watch for the quality of the passing beyond the assists, and the diversity of the advantage creation. Excellent as an off-ball defender as well. As we said with Mobley, you can't miss it with Cade.

The Tre Mann - Kira Lewis comparison is what I had immediately thought of. Ya can't like Kira without liking Mann

I'm an LSU homer and still wouldn't touch Cam Thomas. He's a bucket alright but wouldn't know a good shot from a hole in the ground. His drives are insanely predictable while lacking creativity and a left

Kai Jones, Greg Brown, Jaxson Hayes....... has Texas developed a potion to keep NBA prospects exceedingly raw and keep all of their scoring averages under 10 pts a game???

I'd like to know a lot more about Jalen Johnson if I was the Pels

kispert is my dream

This is a lot of what I'm seeing as well.

Not to make the too-easy comparison due to NBL experience, but he reminds me a lot of LaMelo (though at a lower level). LaMelo was also horrifically inefficient in the NBL, and a pretty awful finisher at the rim as well as that, but was a superlative passer with creativity who showed signs of awareness and anticipation on defense even if the actual end product was terrible.

Giddey isn't quite the passer that LaMelo is, and he's better defensively (though still not elite or anything), but there are some analogues that I see between the two.

I see signs of improvement with Giddey's shooting though, from the handful of games I've watched recently along with the stats. He's 19/46 from 3 over his last 10 games, which is 41.3% on 4.6 attempts a game, and while I agree that the mechanics aren't quite there and he's probably not that level of shooter long term (at least not without a bit of work) there are enough signs for me to be intrigued.

Definitely questioning aspects of him here and there but at some point you see a 6'8 PG who can handle the ball, effectively run the PnR, has special anticipation on passing, and shows signs of shooting being buried somewhere in there, and he's still 18? You have to take the gamble on that imo.
    Agree with a lot of what you say I think he is a special talent and the skills he is showing now are impressive for someone so young. If he somehow makes his way to the Pels I would have complete trust in Fred helping develop his shot. His recent play has been really encouraging and I can't wait to see him line up for Australia at the Olympics.

Huge recent performance from Roko Prkacin.

I'm still in on him big. First round prospect, clearly; probably top 20.

Oh, me!!!

What six foot nothing, 125 pound, 14 year old are we going to draft this year?

Is Cunningham a 'cornerstone-type player' in the same vein as Magic, Bird, MJ, Lebron, Durant, and what it appears Luka is developing into? A guy who legitimately can create for himself and make everyone else around him better than what they are?

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Is Cunningham a 'cornerstone-type player' in the same vein as Magic, Bird, MJ, Lebron, Durant, and what it appears Luka is developing into? A guy who legitimately can create for himself and make everyone else around him better than what they are?
    No not that vein. That is an extremely high bar.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I didn't think so. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Yeah I think it's extraordinarily hard for anyone to be that level of prospect, even if they're fantastic, and many players who do end up being those top top top top elite players don't show it in college. I think of all the players in this draft Cade has the best odds of ending up that good, but I wouldn't feel confident just assuming that he will be that good at all.

I think he's in that tier just below the Luka/Zion/AD type prospects and just above the KAT/Trae type guys.

That said, he can definitely create for himself and others. It's just, that's not the One Skill You Need to be Lebron or Bird lmao

Yeah I think it's extraordinarily hard for anyone to be that level of prospect, even if they're fantastic, and many players who do end up being those top top top top elite players don't show it in college. I think of all the players in this draft Cade has the best odds of ending up that good, but I wouldn't feel confident just assuming that he will be that good at all.

I think he's in that tier just below the Luka/Zion/AD type prospects and just above the KAT/Trae type guys.

That said, he can definitely create for himself and others. It's just, that's not the One Skill You Need to be Lebron or Bird lmao
    Just curious!! On what basis do you have # 1 on the same tier as AD (who I will never again cheer for)? AD can score from all over the court, is a much better rebounder, is a lifetime 80% free throw shooter, and (here's the clincher) can actually play shutdown defense.
    Last edited by As I See It; 04-19-2021 at 08:22 PM.

Well you know who my money is on.

The prospect most like AD is obviously Evan Mobley. Either AD or the next Chris Bosh. And that's 5 years down the line.

Just curious!! On what basis do you have # 1 on the same tier as AD (who I will never again cheer for)? AD can score from all over the court, is a much better rebounder, is a lifetime 80% free throw shooter, and (here's the clincher) can actually play shutdown defense.
    Well, as I said in the comment you're responding to, I'm talking about prospect rankings. Pre-NBA, that is. That's how you rank prospects. Zion, as a prospect pre-NBA, was every bit as dominant as AD, and very clearly more-so in some ways. Whether that ever ends up being true to NBA play is a different issue, but as prospects Zion was clearly on the AD tier, and arguably higher up that tier. Zion was the best draft prospect since AD without much dispute, that was kind of the universal take prior to the draft.

2022 # 1 PICK

7'2", Chet Holmgren?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_3fB3iyIPs
    Bit slow, but great footwork

Also, are they made to play in masks? Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Bit slow, but great footwork

Also, are they made to play in masks? Jesus
    I like Chet, don't have him as my pre-season #1. He's top 5 though.

Go check out Paolo Banchero for my pre-college #1. Incredible prospect at that level.

A word from Banchero, also

Give me Corey Kispert. Phenomenal shooter, good size, can finish at the basket, has a mid range game. Would keep the floor wide open for BI and Zion

If I am not mistaken the Pelicans have a slew of 2nd round picks. This is where a general manager earns his keep.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Give me Corey Kispert. Phenomenal shooter, good size, can finish at the basket, has a mid range game. Would keep the floor wide open for BI and Zion
    I am all for this; if only for the fact that he's not 18, 19, or 20 years old. I am so over developing "kiddies" for three or four years, only to lose them after we improved their talent to a level where they are serviceable. It's time to take the "FARM TEAM" shingle down. Kispert is a 22 year old man whose body has matured, and he's played competitive basketball at the highest amateur level for four full years. He would provide this team with something it sorely needs...shooting. Just last night, Joe Harris proved how valuable that one asset can be.
    Last edited by As I See It; 04-21-2021 at 10:58 AM.

Hall of Famer
    Kispert can shoot,

But my issues- for a team that can't defend not sure this guy is the best pickup

Would this just be a jj Reddick 2,0 just younger

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    Kispert can shoot,

But my issues- for a team that can't defend not sure this guy is the best pickup

Since when has defense been a consideration for this "brain trust" when bringing in drafted talent.

JAXSON?
    NAW?
    Kira?
    Zion?

(Tongue in cheek, of course)
    Last edited by As I See It; 04-21-2021 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    Kispert can shoot,

I think that unlike JJ, who was too small and laterally awkward to ever be a defensive plus, Kisperts size and defensive footwork means that he will probably be a pretty solid team defender, particularly when combined with his good awareness and IQ, but yes defense is his weaker area. That's why I have him behind Moody and Wagner in my Big Wing/Forward wishlist despite him being probably the best shooter of the three right now.

Well, that and his age.

Is Jalen Johnson a wing? Duke played him as a big and it seemed to hurt his stock. His skillset gives me Porter Jr vibes at his size. Seems like he's more comfortable on the perimeter. He looks like he has star quality if he develops as a wing.

Thread Information